Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 685 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #691
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Sadly you may be right but Japanese executives are reputed to be cautious in their public statements and this thread is based on the statement of a Ricoh executive that there will be a K-3ii successor. They certainly have a large enough base to sell to.
Yes they do have the base, not everyone has flocked to the KP as it is limited in certain ways.

07-07-2018, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #692
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are lots of K-5's, K-5II's and K-3's still in use and many of those folks will stick with APS-C when they get a new body. Plenty of customers for a new pro-sumer APS-C. Especially if they show some improvements in areas that people have been asking for.
07-07-2018, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #693
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There are lots of K-5's, K-5II's and K-3's still in use and many of those folks will stick with APS-C when they get a new body.
I am still shooting with the K-5. The K-3 was not enough of an upgrade (Though I have seen some used deals that were very tempting). I would like to go K1, but I am willing to wait for the K-3x before I make the FF vs aps-c decision.
07-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #694
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I am still shooting with the K-5. The K-3 was not enough of an upgrade (Though I have seen some used deals that were very tempting). I would like to go K1, but I am willing to wait for the K-3x before I make the FF vs aps-c decision.
I'm still shooting a combination of K-7 and K-01. For me, the K-3/K-3 II were not quite enough of an upgrade to spend over $1000 on - my needs are significantly improved SR and/or better ISO performance. The KP finally delivered on those, but in a body that was a downgrade from my K-7. The high initial price of the KP kept it completely out of the running, and the price drop last December was too little too late. Settling for the K-3 II wasn't an option either after seeing what the KP was capable of. Taking the improvements of the KP and putting them in a K-3 II would have made a perfect K-3 III for me, but Pentax never produced such a camera.

The K-1 would be the perfect camera for me, except that it's too heavy and I can't afford it. If I won one I'd find a way to deal with the weight, but it would still be a compromise.

I just spent $600 on my first non-Pentax camera in 15 years. I'm curious to see where it takes me.

07-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #695
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There were feedback that the successor of the K-3II would be a different animal however, based on what Mikesul said, it was a Ricoh executive who said the K-3 line will continue. Whatever is the successor of the K-3II will be well accepted by Pentaxians.
07-09-2018, 01:12 AM   #696
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
There were feedback that the successor of the K-3II would be a different animal however, based on what Mikesul said, it was a Ricoh executive who said the K-3 line will continue. Whatever is the successor of the K-3II will be well accepted by Pentaxians.
I believe by "K3-line" they meant high-end APS cam. But K7/5/3 platform is old and will be replaced IMO (that different animal you wrote about).
07-09-2018, 02:51 AM   #697
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I'm still shooting a combination of K-7 and K-01. For me, the K-3/K-3 II were not quite enough of an upgrade to spend over $1000 on - my needs are significantly improved SR and/or better ISO performance. The KP finally delivered on those, but in a body that was a downgrade from my K-7. The high initial price of the KP kept it completely out of the running, and the price drop last December was too little too late. Settling for the K-3 II wasn't an option either after seeing what the KP was capable of. Taking the improvements of the KP and putting them in a K-3 II would have made a perfect K-3 III for me, but Pentax never produced such a camera.

The K-1 would be the perfect camera for me, except that it's too heavy and I can't afford it. If I won one I'd find a way to deal with the weight, but it would still be a compromise.

I just spent $600 on my first non-Pentax camera in 15 years. I'm curious to see where it takes me.
I don't know. Any one of the cameras you mention in your statement would really beat your K7 pretty handily. The K-7 had the worst high iso performance and low iso dynamic range of any Pentax camera I've shot. At the same time, if the high price of the K-P kept it out of the running then certainly whatever the K3 II sequel is will be too expensive too, not?

Why not get a K3 II now? Cost wise it is very reasonable and it is a very nice camera too.

07-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #698
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Rondec's analysis. The K-3ii can be had for under 600. Sometimes well under that for practically unused cameras. It is a very close second to the K-1 in my experience. I have not used a KP but at this point the K-3ii is a bargain. There is no comparison between it and the K-7 which I liked a lot while I had it. The K-3ii will be hard to beat for a price even close to what the KP was introduced at.
07-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #699
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
The KP finally delivered on those, but in a body that was a downgrade from my K-7.
I shoot the K-5iis and KP and go back and forth. They both feel like premium cameras of equal quality, different UI, sure. But not a downgrade.
07-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #700

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know. Any one of the cameras you mention in your statement would really beat your K7 pretty handily. The K-7 had the worst high iso performance and low iso dynamic range of any Pentax camera I've shot. At the same time, if the high price of the K-P kept it out of the running then certainly whatever the K3 II sequel is will be too expensive too, not?

Why not get a K3 II now? Cost wise it is very reasonable and it is a very nice camera too.

Because it is just the old K3 with removed flash.. why one would buy such thing today, while others enjoy reliable AF, 4K video and other nice stuff.
07-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #701
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Because it is just the old K3 with removed flash.. why one would buy such thing today, while others enjoy reliable AF, 4K video and other nice stuff.
Sounds to me like you may need to buy a Canon or Sony.

4K video may be coming to Pentax, but if it is, implementation is probably still not going to be at the level of mirrorless cameras. As far as reliable AF goes, the K3 and K3 II are fine.

At the same time, I wasn't addressing you. The person I was addressing said that the KP was too expensive for him at the release price. If that is the case, it is unlikely that the K3 II sequel will bring him any happiness. Currently the K3 II is on clearance at Adorama for 740, while the KP is still priced at 895. At those prices, the K3 II is a steal, unless you need 4K video, in which case, I probably would look at one of the mirrorless cameras on the market. The sequel will certainly be priced in the 1200 to 1300 range, making it quite a bit to expensive for the poster I was addressing.
07-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #702
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are lots of K-5's, K-5II's and K-3's still in use and many of those folks will stick with APS-C when they get a new body. Plenty of customers for a new pro-sumer APS-C. Especially if they show some improvements in areas that people have been asking for.
I totally agree! As of now I have no desire to buy a KP I'm willing to wait for the K-3/K-3II replacemnt!!
07-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #703
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I totally agree! As of now I have no desire to buy a KP I'm willing to wait for the K-3/K-3II replacemnt!!
It might be a silly reason but I have heavily invested in batteries that work with the K-3 / K-1 so getting a KP is out of the question for me as I like having a standard battery for all my gear.
07-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #704
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It might be a silly reason but I have heavily invested in batteries that work with the K-3 / K-1 so getting a KP is out of the question for me as I like having a standard battery for all my gear.
You too, HUH!! I just bought 3 new batteries for my trusty K-3 and after I finally stopped taking my thumb off the AF(back button) before I tripped the shutter, I finally started getting improved focus performance. Who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks?
07-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #705
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oddly, the reason I bought Pentax in the first place is that I had a bunch of rechargeable AA batteries and wanted a DSLR that used AA's so could standardize the batteries I carried. The k-x was the only thing I could find, up to then I had never even heard of Pentax. Funny how things change but always stay the same.