Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 685 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #706
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The person I was addressing said that the KP was too expensive for him at the release price. If that is the case, it is unlikely that the K3 II sequel will bring him any happiness. Currently the K3 II is on clearance at Adorama for 740, while the KP is still priced at 895. At those prices, the K3 II is a steal, unless you need 4K video, in which case, I probably would look at one of the mirrorless cameras on the market. The sequel will certainly be priced in the 1200 to 1300 range, making it quite a bit to expensive for the poster I was addressing.
Oh sure, now the price drops... a week too late for me.

You're right, 1200 to 1300 would still be out of my price range. But I would have stretched to 1000 if I didn't think I was compromising, and both the K-3 II and KP felt like compromises to me. I realize that my rationalizations are highly personal and I don't expect anybody else to feel the same.

07-10-2018, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #707
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Because it is just the old K3 with removed flash.. why one would buy such thing today, while others enjoy reliable AF, 4K video and other nice stuff.
If the things you list are what you need maybe you need something else. But you are only you. Others have found the K-3ii upgrade significant: improved 4.5EV stop shake reduction system, new high-speed AF algorithm, GPS, gyro sensor panning detection and automatic horizon correction.

For many of us the GPS was enough. It made the camera fully useful for our needs. Many people still make great use of the Pentax 67 cameras for excellent photos.

I also own a Sony A7RIII which has all you list and more but I often prefer the K-3ii.
07-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #708
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
You're right, 1200 to 1300 would still be out of my price range. But I would have stretched to 1000 if I didn't think I was compromising, and both the K-3 II and KP felt like compromises to me. I realize that my rationalizations are highly personal and I don't expect anybody else to feel the same.
Everything is a compromise between affordable and what we really want.
I am quite sure the K-3ii replacement will be considerably north of your 1000 semi-limit.
07-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #709
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Because it is just the old K3 with removed flash.. why one would buy such thing today, while others enjoy reliable AF, 4K video and other nice stuff.
Well, I think you're overstating it a bit, but to be honest, that IS what I initially believed, as well. My opinion changed when I used the two cameras side-by-side; the K3 II is actually significantly better than the K3. The differences are subtle, yes, but profound in most instances. Again, it's much more discoverable when you get "hands on" and compare the two side-by-side.

As for the "removed flash", this again was a major concern for me... until I tried the camera. Yeah, trading the flash for GPS is kind of a weird thing, but for all the complaining some people do about it, the K3 II's low light performance is good enough that the absence on an on-board flash really hasn't been a problem for me, even with third party lenses, which tend to be slower on the AF, particularly in Live View. More to the point though, though, i don't think I've ever used an on-board, built in, pop-up flash on any camera, film or digital, Pentax or Brand X, Y or Z that hasn't been garishly harsh, stark, and given to producing really unpleasant effects in all but the most limited of circumstances or without a napkin or some make-shift filter draped in front of it. I've always gotten far better results with a hot shoe flash, so the absence this one one is no skin off my nose.

All things considered, and given how much better I found the K3II to be than the K3, to say nothing of the the KP and K70, the pop-up is not missed. Of course, your mileage may vary.

07-10-2018, 06:56 PM - 2 Likes   #710
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 9.53.35 PM.png
Views: 305
Size:  466.2 KB
07-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #711
Site Supporter

What's your point?
07-12-2018, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #712
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikek200d Quote
What's your point?
I know I was expecting a pocketable medium format mirrorless with 8k video and individual eyelash autofocus, but all we got was a stinkin' GPS and the Ricoh name filed off.

07-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #713
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I know I was expecting a pocketable medium format mirrorless with 8k video and individual eyelash autofocus
Why on earth would you expect that?
07-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #714
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why on earth would you expect that?
Because I was being facetious? Was I not obvious enough?
07-12-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #715
Pentaxian

You didn't include a smiley face
07-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #716
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure not all members remember the "I won't buy a K-3 because it says Ricoh on the back" posts. HOCIR!!!! I used to post that I wouldn't buy a K-3 II because it didn't say Ricoh on the back...

Besides, I got my K-3 a few months before the K-3 II came out...
07-12-2018, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #717
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was pretty obvious but people really should avoid unmarked irony on the web. If it can be misinterpreted it will be.
07-13-2018, 04:13 AM - 2 Likes   #718
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
It was pretty obvious but people really should avoid unmarked irony on the web. If it can be misinterpreted it will be.
Understood. But I really thought "pocketable medium format" was a dead giveaway.

Although I'm sure someone's working on individual eyelash autofocus...
07-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #719
Pentaxian

But I really thought "pocketable medium format" was a dead giveaway.
Your intent was very clear. There will always be someone who doesn't get it, but that is okay.
07-13-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #720
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

The internet is not a place for subtle.