Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 685 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 05:46 AM   #796
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Still many letter can be use K-A K-B..... or for the 100 anniversary K100
K + letter seems to be used for slightly lower APS-C line (K-x, K-r, K-m).

08-18-2018, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #797
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stretching the imagination: if the Kp successor was the first with a hybrid viewfinder, it could be designated KpH.

No caustic responses, please.
08-18-2018, 06:34 AM   #798

Photos: Albums
According to the Urban Dictionary KPH can stand for Konichis Per Hour, and "is a term (relating to Kilometers Per Hour, where faster is generally better) used to describe events and/or objects that add fun, entertainment or a positive spin to a gathering of friends/relatives/homies." I don't know about the homies part but my K-3II has definitely added to my fun.

So, no caustic comeback here.
08-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #799
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
K + letter seems to be used for slightly lower APS-C line (K-x, K-r, K-m).
But there is nothing sacred about past naming. I usually see these cameras written as you wrote them .... with a dash. KP is usually written without a dash. They could always start off at the top of the alphabet with KA, KB, etc, and then go down even numbers with full-frame followups ... but naming is the least of their problems - they need a camera to apply the new name to.

08-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lew Dite Quote
According to the Urban Dictionary KPH can stand for Konichis Per Hour, and "is a term (relating to Kilometers Per Hour, where faster is generally better) used to describe events and/or objects that add fun, entertainment or a positive spin to a gathering of friends/relatives/homies." I don't know about the homies part but my K-3II has definitely added to my fun.

So, no caustic comeback here.
pH was the (chemistry) centre of my contribution, though, but I appreciate your (speedy) bit of fun, as well.
08-18-2018, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #801

Oh, now I get the "caustic" reference. I'm a little slow on the uptake, I guess.
08-20-2018, 04:10 AM   #802
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A new model in the spirit of the K3 is confusing me. I have a K3 and K-S2, both of which work well. I have been eyeing the K1Mkii, but if Pentax hits me with a newly evolved K3 type camera, I will be in a pickle of indecision. In some ways, I'd love to have the K1Mkii as my main body and the KP as my "little brother" body, but that's two sets of glass. An evolved K3+KP could be a perfect combination for me.

08-20-2018, 04:22 AM   #803
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
The K-3II successor will be called the K-4.
08-20-2018, 05:37 AM   #804
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Don't the Japanese have a superstitious revulsion to the number 4??
No matter what direction they go at this point, they've painted themselves into a corner.
08-20-2018, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #805
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What about "K-9", but hope it isn't a "dog"
08-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #806
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
What about "K-9", but hope it isn't a "dog"
What we don't know right now is whether the KP is considered by Pentax to be some kind of "special experiment" as the K-S1 was. If it was, they may not want to use names like KA, but that makes the most sense to me.

Being completely honest, though, what it does is much more important than how they label it.
08-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #807

Still nothing new, no new rumor, no new leak.. just bunch of kids talking about strange pentax nomenclature.

So it seems that new camera is nowhere near any advanced development stage and that we are going to see nothing new on Photokina.

Sad.
08-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #808
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Still nothing new, no new rumor, no new leak.. just bunch of kids talking about strange pentax nomenclature.

So it seems that new camera is nowhere near any advanced development stage and that we are going to see nothing new on Photokina.

Sad.
We don't actually know one way or the other. We only assume they're not ready yet, because that's the safest bet.
08-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #809
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
4 is unlucky because it is sometimes pronounced shi, which is the word for death.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
What about "K-9" . . . . . . . . .
9 is sometimes pronounced ku — with the same pronunciation as agony or torture.
08-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #810
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No matter what direction they go at this point, they've painted themselves into a corner.
Yes. Tetraphobia is actually common in most East Asian countries.

QuoteQuote:
The Chinese word for four (四, pinyin: sì, jyutping: sei3), sounds quite similar to the word for death (死, pinyin: sǐ, jyutping: sei2), in many varieties of Chinese. Similarly, the Sino-Japanese, Sino-Korean, and Sino-Vietnamese words for four, shi (し, Japanese), and sa (사, Korean), sound similar or identical to death in each language (see Korean numerals, Japanese numerals, Vietnamese numerals). Tetraphobia is known to occur in Korea and Japan since the two words sound indentical, but not at all in Vietnam because they carry different tones (in the case of the word for "four", whether it's the Sino-Vietnamese reading tứ or the more common non-Sino-Vietnamese reading tư, neither sounds like the word for "death" which is tử), and Vietnamese does not use Sino-Vietnamese numerals as often in the first place.