Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 685 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #841

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
And yet you're listed as a "Junior" member!
You are trying to be funny, right? If so, don't quit your day job to do standup, as they say. It's surely common knowledge that "Junior" here refers only to the number of posts.

08-24-2018, 10:51 PM - 2 Likes   #842
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lew Dite Quote
You are trying to be funny, right? If so, don't quit your day job to do standup, as they say. It's surely common knowledge that "Junior" here refers only to the number of posts.
Sorry, I thought it would be obvious. Especially with the quotes around "Junior".
08-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #843
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, I thought it would be obvious. Especially with the quotes around "Junior".
I've learned that subtle humor, just don't get through most of the times
08-25-2018, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #844
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I've learned that subtle humor, just don't get through most of the times
A 'smiley' goes a long way to conveying that information, because tone of voice isn't transmitted via text.

08-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #845

As others say, dry humor like that doesn't come across well in text. But let's return to our regularly scheduled game of predicting with no real information what is coming from Ricoh. It's far more entertaining.
08-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #846

As K50 ended they lack some cheap low-end camera... Kz seems to me like Km, Kx, Kr line successor.. some cheap K70 chopper, KP as K70 replacement and then something hi-end.
Not a bad idea.. but lets see.

Or maybe KS line sucessor.. KZI, KZII etc..

(btw I'm 1982)
08-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
As K50 ended they lack some cheap low-end camera... Kz seems to me like Km, Kx, Kr line successor.. some cheap K70 chopper, KP as K70 replacement and then something hi-end.
Not a bad idea.. but lets see.

Or maybe KS line sucessor.. KZI, KZII etc..
KP definitely doesn't fit in the K-30, K-50, etc line.

The K-1 and K-3 lines are basically running into each other, so I thought perhaps they would "reboot" the 'flagship APS-C' line to KA {'A' is similar in concept to '1'} but I suppose they could start at KZ instead.

08-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #848
Pentaxian

There should be (at least!) 3 levels of Pentax DSLRs, like there are are for Canikon (etc.) to attract new-comers - basice/intro APS-C, advanced APS-C, and FF.

Don't think the K-3 and K-t are "running into each other" because the latter are bigger/heavier/more expensive/"more sophisticated", but there needs to be a "clearish" differentiation between the (at least!) 3 levels.

K-50/K-70/KS-2 (?) were/are the basic level, K-3/K-3 II/ (??) were/are the advanced APS-C. and K-1/K-1 II were/are FF. So, where does the K-P sit?

So, where, realistically, will Pentax "go" next?. Personnaly, I'm not at all sure but I think that "better" basic and APS-C bodies (and lenses) would be "the way" if Ricoh/Pentax is to proper in the longer term.

Last edited by jeallen01; 08-27-2018 at 02:15 PM.
08-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #849
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Don't think the K-3 and K-t are "running into each other" because the latter are bigger/heavier/more expensive/"more sophisticated", but there needs to be a "clearish" differentiation between the (at least!) 3 levels.
All I can say is this. The K-3II replacement needs to 1-up the K-1/1II & KP in speed & AF performance. If they release something similar to what the K-1/1II & KP can already do, might as well throw in the towel. That camera needs to make full use of that Pentax DA 55-300mm PLM lens & any other fast focusing lenses that will eventually come along.

They already have the best image quality with the K-/1II & the best APS-C image quality with the KP. They don't need another "clone" that will perform the same way as the KP & K-1/1II. I hope they put more effort into the AF system...
08-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #850
Veteran Member

There should be (at least!) 3 levels of Pentax DSLRs, like there are are for Canikon (etc.) to attract new-comers - basice/intro APS-C, advanced APS-C, and FF.

K-50/K-70/KS-2 (?) were/are the basic level, K-3/K-3 II/ (??) were/are the advanced APS-C. and K-1/K-1 II were/are FF. So, where does the K-P sit?

So, where, realistically, will Pentax "go" next?. Personnaly, I'm not at all sure but I think that "better" basic and APS-C bodies (and lenses) would be "the way" if Ricoh/Pentax is to proper in the longer term.
I think that's exactly what Pentax was going for with the K-70 / KP / K-1 lineup. It's just that they thought we'd be more interested in something halfway between the K-70 and K-1 vs. something much higher end for APS-C.
08-27-2018, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #851
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
All I can say is this. The K-3II replacement needs to 1-up the K-1/1II & KP in speed & AF performance. If they release something similar to what the K-1/1II & KP can already do, might as well throw in the towel. That camera needs to make full use of that Pentax DA 55-300mm PLM lens & any other fast focusing lenses that will eventually come along.

They already have the best image quality with the K-/1II & the best APS-C image quality with the KP. They don't need another "clone" that will perform the same way as the KP & K-1/1II. I hope they put more effort into the AF system...
If all they wanted to do was put the KP in a K-3 body, they could have done it already. It's obvious they're planning more than that; we just don't know yet what they're going to surprise us with.
08-27-2018, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #852
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My thinking would go like this -

K-1/ii = 'field camera'

K-3 replacement = action camera

KP = street camera

Then possibly "entry level" K70 or the like.
08-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote

K-1/ii = 'field camera'

KP = street camera

I’m not convinced that an entry level body is necessary for a niche brand like Pentax, unless there is a strategy to lift it back into the mainstream. We thought there was when Ricoh took over, but that seems to have been modified to suit their financial circumstances.

Otherwise, I think the point about the KP was that it was a smaller body to take the edge off the attractiveness of the mirrorless competitiors. In that case, it could also be a “field” camera in the sense of “adventure” photography, rather than the gentler pursuits that “field” might suggest, without qualification. Those qualities also make it a “travel” camera, in a less rugged sense than “adventure”.

The K-1/ii could also be styled as a “studio” camera, especially given its Pixel Shift possibilities for product photography.

What they really need is something the competition doesn’t have, and once again, as I and others here have suggested, a branch off the K-1 with a hybrid OVF/EVF would attract considerable attention, and hopefully sales. My preference would be for a replacement viewfinder module, making it a true successor to the LX.

PS – on topic, maybe a branch off the K-3 line might be a better start, at least, if they were to go that way.
08-28-2018, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #854
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
As K50 ended they lack some cheap low-end camera... Kz seems to me like Km, Kx, Kr line successor..
Km/x/r were succeeded by the K-30/50/S2/70. Pentax has always had a camera in that slot. Ignore the naming convention that has changed and compare the specs. A true entry level DSLR is something hat Pentax has typically stayed away from. They did toy with entry level with the K-500 and KS-1. Maybe the K110D might fit there too, I don't remember for sure. It seems they like to keep older models on sale when they have been upgraded to fill the entry level spot. E.g. They will likely continue to sell the K-70 alongside the (future) K-80, but at a reduced price. (Assuming they go with 80 and do not change naming conventions again. Personally I would go with K-72.)

Last edited by rangercarp; 08-29-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: typo
08-29-2018, 07:04 AM   #855
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote

K-1/ii = 'field camera'

KP = street camera

Sounds reasonable to me.