Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 685 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2018, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #901
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lew Dite Quote
Yup. One piece of news, 60 pages of speculation. Wake me when something happens.
What I find amazing is how there can be 60 pages of grousing about it.

It’s not like the existing cameras have become useless.

10-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #902
Pentaxian

From the Photo Plus interview:
Q: As a growing number of users are becoming vocal about not wanting to compromise with the KP, is the high-end APS-C (i.e. K-3 II) product line one which will be continued?
A: This is being worked on. If you like the K-1 and some of its features, look for an APS-C offering in the not too distant future.
10-27-2018, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #903
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What I find amazing is how there can be 60 pages of grousing about it.

It’s not like the existing cameras have become useless.
The basic issue is people wanting to know what the future holds. If my K-30 were to die tomorrow, I would purchase a KP from B&H the next day - but those using a K-5, or K-3 don't have a clear path forward, and that makes them nervous.
10-28-2018, 03:37 AM - 3 Likes   #904
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
. . . . . . . but those using a K-5, or K-3 don't have a clear path forward, and that makes them nervous.
I have an *istDL, a K10D and a K5IIs, all still functioning perfectly. All great cameras, that perform as well today as they did new. I still have a Ricoh XR2s film camera that would make good exposures should I choose to buy film and load it, and I have a 4x5 film camera that does the same job today that it did when new.

I placed an order for a K-1 a week ago, it should be in my hands tomorrow. Since I prefer legacy glass, with aperture rings, I have no concern about the latest lens either.

I'm not nervous.

I'm satisfied that the digital and film cameras I own will give me many years of satisfaction for my hobby.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 10-28-2018 at 03:43 AM.
10-28-2018, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #905
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I placed an order for a K-1 a week ago, it should be in my hands tomorrow
Congratulations, I feel it's only a matter of time for me too.
10-29-2018, 04:45 AM   #906
Pentaxian

I have an *istDL, a K10D and a K5IIs, all still functioning perfectly. All great cameras, that perform as well today as they did new. I still have a Ricoh XR2s film camera that would make good exposures should I choose to buy film and load it, and I have a 4x5 film camera that does the same job today that it did when new.

I placed an order for a K-1 a week ago, it should be in my hands tomorrow. Since I prefer legacy glass, with aperture rings, I have no concern about the latest lens either.

I'm not nervous.

I'm satisfied that the digital and film cameras I own will give me many years of satisfaction for my hobby.
It is good that you are satisfied. I'm not worried either, because when I get around to purchasing a KP, it will provide more capability than I've ever had .... but the people currently using a K-3ii don't see a replacement camera that can provide 24mp at 6+ cps for a burst of more than just a few images.
10-29-2018, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #907
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It is good that you are satisfied. I'm not worried either, because when I get around to purchasing a KP, it will provide more capability than I've ever had .... but the people currently using a K-3ii don't see a replacement camera that can provide 24mp at 6+ cps for a burst of more than just a few images.
If my K-3 and K-3II were to die and be uneconomical to repair, I'd look for lightly used examples of either model to replace them. If I couldn't find those at prices I was happy with, I'd buy a KP and learn to live with the differences. So long as I get to keep using the collection of glass I have, I'm happy to adapt.

That said, I'm looking forward to the K-3II successor, if and when it arrives

10-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #908

Once you taste something good, it is hard to go back to low-end compromises.. (K5/K3 =>KP). And I know several guys who ditched Pentax, sold lenses and started new life with D500 rather than getting KP or K1..
10-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #909
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Once you taste something good, it is hard to go back to low-end compromises.. (K5/K3 =>KP)
That depends on what you are looking at. K3 and K5 have larger buffers than KP does - image quality at higher ISO, not so much.
10-29-2018, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #910
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Once you taste something good, it is hard to go back to low-end compromises.. (K5/K3 =>KP). And I know several guys who ditched Pentax, sold lenses and started new life with D500 rather than getting KP or K1..
I'm not quite sure of your point or intent?

I don't view anything in the K-5 / K-3 / KP range as "low-end compromises", though I guess there are specific features and performance levels that just a few people might find limiting in some applications (e.g. K-5 AF in certain man-made lighting, or smaller buffer with the KP). That said, I don't find it hard going back to my twelve-year-old Samsung GX-10 after using my K-3. You just work with the capabilities and limitations of the camera rather than blaming it

As for those ditching Pentax, it's all good - we have others joining the brand from Nikon and Canon, if posts on these forums are anything to go by. Some movement between brands is quite normal and to be expected, and I see no mass exodus. Just a few dissatisfied users, which you get with all brands.

I've posted about this before... For those who have any desire to stay with Pentax (having tasted it, liked it, and grown with it), there are plenty of options in both the new and used marketplace. For those that decide to switch, some will have good reasons to do so, while others will have itchy feet in another year or three, no matter which brand they choose. Good luck to them all

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-29-2018 at 05:02 PM.
10-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #911
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That depends on what you are looking at. K3 and K5 have larger buffers than KP does - image quality at higher ISO, not so much.
and dual card slots and much better ergonomics with a top plate screen. With a good N/R in your RAW processor Higher ISO is not such a problem either.
10-29-2018, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #912
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
and dual card slots and much better ergonomics with a top plate screen. With a good N/R in your RAW processor Higher ISO is not such a problem either.
In the age of film, I shot Kodachrome.
I see JPEG from my camera as being conceptually comparable.
I have no desire to process 'raw' today.
10-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #913
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the age of film, I shot Kodachrome.
I see JPEG from my camera as being conceptually comparable.
I have no desire to process 'raw' today.
Oh, I understand fully. A few years ago I felt just like you, the JPEGs were just fine for me then I got into a few situations where an exposure adjustment would have made a huge difference in what I produced. So I bought a program called Zoner which is produced by a European company in the Czech Republic I think. I'm now using their Zoner X program which costs very little and does a great job except for noise reduction. With some of my !SO 100-400 shots I still use it. Increasingly I have found I needed higher ISO noise reduction so I bought and use DXO PhotoLab for its Prime Noise Reduction feature, its absolutely the best and is quite easy to use once you get used to the DXO PhotoLab interface.

In my K-50 days I felt like you, but since shooting primarily with the K-3 I have become a RAW devotee.
10-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #914
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Oh, I understand fully. A few years ago I felt just like you, the JPEGs were just fine for me then I got into a few situations where an exposure adjustment would have made a huge difference in what I produced. So I bought a program called Zoner which is produced by a European company in the Czech Republic I think. I'm now using their Zoner X program which costs very little and does a great job except for noise reduction. With some of my !SO 100-400 shots I still use it. Increasingly I have found I needed higher ISO noise reduction so I bought and use DXO PhotoLab for its Prime Noise Reduction feature, its absolutely the best and is quite easy to use once you get used to the DXO PhotoLab interface.

In my K-50 days I felt like you, but since shooting primarily with the K-3 I have become a RAW devotee.
I have spent the past nine years scanning old media. I have found that I almost always have to fix issues - scratches, dust, etc. I have used 'PP' software in the past, but I expect to spend much time in front of a computer fixing the images I have already scanned, and that is all the time I want to spend using 'PP' software. Thus, my interest in cameras like the KP that will deliver good low-noise images directly to me.

For example, I took the photo below in 1967 of the last northbound passenger train on the Monon railroad. I know it is far from perfect - I was a college student and an Instamatic 100 was the best camera that would fit into my budget; the best angle for this was looking south, in the general direction of the sun. Those negatives took a lot of abuse as I moved from town-to-town. Since I don't have a "Way-Back" machine, I will stick with it, but last year I spent many hours cleaning it up in time for its 50th anniversary.

Last edited by reh321; 10-30-2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: add example
05-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #915
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With talk of a 90D coming August, this would be a good time for Pentax to bring out or announce the K-3 III or what ever it will be. I am looking forward to this new camera from Pentax.

Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1] | Canon Rumors