Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 Sudden Death Question in CP+ Interview

Sorry for the provocative title. This is not troll or an attempt to start a rumor.

As part of the recent Pentax Forums interview with Ricoh at CP+, a question was asked regarding full failure of K-3 cameras...
QuoteQuote:
Some users have reported sudden complete failure of the K-3. The fix for this was replacement of the main board at a service center. The cause was internal short circuit. Are you aware of this issue in a certain batch of K-3's?
The answer...
QuoteQuote:
We have confirmed by a report from the service department that there were a couple of similar issues, but not particular on a specific production lot of the K-3. We will continuously improve the quality of the product anyway.
I may have been blissfully unaware of this sort of thing, but don't remember any flurry of failure reports. Did I miss the pertinent thread(s) on this site or elsewhere or is this an urban legend in the making?

CP+ 2018 Pentax Interview - CP+ 2018 | PentaxForums.com

Steve

03-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I may have been blissfully unaware of this sort of thing, but don't remember any flurry of failure reports. Did I miss the pertinent thread(s) on this site or elsewhere or is this an urban legend in the making?
There is a thread on it:
Pentax k-3 will not power on - PentaxForums.com

Good thing this isn't a widespread QC issue (as the interview confirmed), but rather something more isolated.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not like the K-30 aperture control failures...
03-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Not like the K-30 aperture control failures...
Yes, thankfully Ricoh seems to have learned from that

03-07-2018, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is a thread on it:
Pentax k-3 will not power on - PentaxForums.com

Good thing this isn't a widespread QC issue (as the interview confirmed), but rather something more isolated.
I remember that thread...several (3) failures within a few days of each other in Spring of 2016 with a trickle over the next 18 months. Most reported sudden death (~10 total) and one had intermittent start-up problems. At least one was for a camera with 100,000+ exposures and another had been sold as physically damaged before reporting the problem on that thread. I quit following the thread about a year ago and just now read your comment regarding the CP+ question.

Thanks for the clarification and reminder.

That being cleared up, I will ask the mods to close this thread unless they feel there is a need for a broader discussion.

Steve
Closed Thread