Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wired shutter and focus switch for the K-3ii

Hi, I'm want to buy a wired shutter and focus switch for the K-3ii. I bought a Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch. It stated it would work on Pentax, but it would not focus, and I had to pull the plug slightly out of the socket for it to work at all. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

03-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blb511 Quote
Hi, I'm want to buy a wired shutter and focus switch for the K-3ii. I bought a Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch. It stated it would work on Pentax, but it would not focus, and I had to pull the plug slightly out of the socket for it to work at all. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill
Pentax does not support remote focus through the wired remote fitting, per se. What is supported is half, full, and sustained press to emulate the shutter button. (It is actually wired in parallel with the shutter button and functions as an alternate release.) If AF is turned on, half-press on a remote will activate the focus the same as with the regular shutter button.

If your remote supports half-press, this should work. That being said, you should not have to pull the plug partially out for the remote to work. That may be at least part of your problem. Are you sure it is plugged all the way in?

Steve
03-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #3

I've got a wired shutter release and like you it only seems to function properly when the plug is very slightly pulled out of the socket. I just figured it was the cheap generic product I bought like this one so it's interesting to find someone else with a similar issue, although mine wouldn't even fire the shutter never mind focus.
03-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I build my own from scratch.
It has two momentary push buttons, one for focus and one for shutter release and a single pole single throw toggle switch that is
wired parallel with the shutter release for continuous shooting.
All the parts came from Radio-Shack, the plug is a industry standard 2.5mm TRS.
Not sure why you have to pull the plug outwards to enable operation...

03-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Buy a wireless remote I have a cheap JJC RM-E7 wireless remote and it will focus and release the shutter on trigger button push plus this wireless remote will focus on push of the W/T button . my wired trigger doesn't focus with push of the button. I don't think any wired shutter releases do that on a K-3.

Larry
03-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
my wired trigger doesn't focus with push of the button. I don't think any wired shutter releases do that on a K-3.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If AF is turned on, half-press on a remote will activate the focus the same as with the regular shutter button.
I guess I should have explained that my comment was based on my experience with my wired remote (Bower-brand, reviewed HERE). As noted by @Ex_Finn above, the contact surfaces on the 2.5mm TRS plug are coded for full-press (shutter release) and half-press (camera wake-up and AF). The scheme is:
Tip + ring 1 + ring 2 = full-press
ring 1 + ring 2 = half-press
Full-press and half-press work identical to the shutter buttons on the body or grip. I.e. the rules for AF-S, focus-priority and back-button focus are enforced. A long full press in "B" mode (option 1) will keep the shutter open for the length of the press. Pentax-compatible IR remotes, OTOH, work somewhat differently with supporting dSLRs. Behavior varies depending on body, menu settings, and model of remote. For IR remotes having a zoom (W/T) button, that button will often allow remote AF similar to back-button AF. Some IR remotes are incapable of emulating a sustained press for "B" mode (option 1). For those, "B" mode (option 2)* is necessary for time exposures. On the K-3/K-3II, AF on shutter release with an IR remote requires Menu/C3/19 be enabled.

All that being said, with the K-3II both full-press and half-press with a wired remote shutter release should activate AF if the camera is configured for other than exclusive back-button AF. I might also note that it is common practice to turn AF off when using a remote to avoid unintended change of focus setting during or before the actual exposure.

Steve

* Menu/C1/7 option 2 opens the shutter on first press and closes the shutter on a second press. This emulates the traditional "T" setting found on some cameras.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-07-2018 at 07:31 PM.
03-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You are correct, I have my K-3 setup for BBF. My wired remote operates correctly when yjr camera is setup for half press.

Larry
03-07-2018, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the Vello RS-C1II Remote Switch and I also had instances where it would not focus and fire my shutter. I found that when I held down and pressed slightly on the top of the cable where it is inserted in the camera as a test, it would work. I was told by another forum member that that was the way to test it. He also told me that the plastic base of the plug could be filed down with a nail file to allow the plug to fit further into the camera socket. I did what he told me, the plug fit further in, and the camera focussed and successfully fired almost everytime after that. I use AF.C.

I use the Vello shutter cable successfully on both my K-3II and K-5IIs.

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-07-2018 at 08:01 PM.
03-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I build my own from scratch.
It has two momentary push buttons, one for focus and one for shutter release and a single pole single throw toggle switch that is
wired parallel with the shutter release for continuous shooting.
All the parts came from Radio-Shack, the plug is a industry standard 2.5mm TRS.

Will that work on any Pentax DSLR?
03-07-2018, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I love this forum! Every time I ask for help I get so many positive responses. THANKS
03-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I was told, by the same forum member that I mentioned helped me in my previous post, that the devices with straight plugs as opposed to right angle plugs may sometimes have a better fit (further in). A sample of that type product is listed below (shortcut). That type product requires batteries though.

https://www.amazon.com/Vello-Shutterboss-Version-Remote-Connection/dp/B00GS8...s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

---------- Post added 03-07-18 at 10:48 PM ----------

Though I use my Vello cable switch most of the time, I do also have a a cable that I use with one of my Cactus V5 triggers to fire either my K-3II or K-5IIs with a button press on the trigger. One end plugs into the camera and the other into the V5. The trigger uses two AA batteries. Cable product is below (made by Cactus).

amazon.com : Cactus Shutter Cable SC-C1 For Canon Sub-Mini (E3), Pentax and Samsung Cameras : Photographic Lighting Slave Remote Triggers : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-07-2018 at 08:52 PM.
03-08-2018, 12:29 AM   #12
Forum Member

If your just looking to trigger and focus take a look at this at amazon $23.99 PRIME

Pixel 2.4GHz Digital Wireless Remote Shutter Release
It will work like a wired trigger with benefits 😉 I love the versatility of it
This will trigger from any angle and has a few other options
03-08-2018, 05:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Any of the wired remotes with a 2.5mm subminiature plug should work. As noted above some sanding or shaving down at the base may be needed if the plug doesn't fit in far enough. Same goes for external microphones.

Pulling it out part way may connect the two poles at the tip of the plug to the two outer poles on the jack/socket.
03-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Any of the wired remotes with a 2.5mm subminiature plug should work. As noted above some sanding or shaving down at the base may be needed if the plug doesn't fit in far enough. Same goes for external microphones.
The KP requires a 3.5mm sub-miniature plug (the mike input is reused as the remote input), so a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter is required. All others use the 2.5mm plug AFAIK.

The Vello Shutterboss remotes that I use all have required trimming down the rubbery end part of the plug to fit inside the plastic circle surrounding the camera's plug hole (K-5, K-3, K-1), except that my new KP does not appear to require that this modification be done.
03-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
The Vello Shutterboss remotes that I use all have required trimming down the rubbery end part of the plug to fit inside the plastic circle surrounding the camera's plug hole (K-5, K-3, K-1), except that my new KP does not appear to require that this modification be done.
This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Steve