Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AF Fine Adjustment Question!

I am in the process of calibrating my lenses with Lens Align MkII and Focus tune 4. The process is very time consuming if you use the recommended procedure, which I am using. There are 5 de-focus and focus shots for each of the fine tune settings 105 in all for each lens. Then a series of 10 de-focus and focus shots in a narrower range around the optimal setting.

My question is has anyone determined if the global setting "Apply All" and the per lens setting "Apply One" affect each other? For instance if I have a -9 dialed into "Apply One" and dial in a -10 will that move the focus point further to the minus end? I did some testing and the result is inconclusive. My personal opinion is that one doesn't affect the other although when doing real world shooting "Apply All" does seem to affect "Apply One" but that might be explained by "normal" shot to shot differences in autofocus.

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Larry

03-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

might be this one help?
03-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Thanks,

Nope, what I'm doing is using Lens Align MkII plus Focus Tune 4 which are Michael Tapes Designs products and designed to work together. it is much more detailed that the process you linked to although the link referred to an earlier process using Lens Align. My question is are the "Apply All' and the "Apply One" seperate and apart or does one affect the other?

Larry
03-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Will beyond me at with this your question,

I adjust each lens per to each camera adjustment and only have the K3 to adjust for AF lens.

03-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand the question - but I don't have an answer. I tried experimentally testing and I can't decide. The apply all in theory applies to all - but your point is (I assume) does it apply to those lenses that have specific dialed in adjustments or does it ignore those lenses.

Practical example:
An FA lens is tested and needs +5, then...
A bunch of K, M, and A lenses are tested and a global setting of let's say -3 is found to be the best compromise.
Is the FA lens still dialed in or is it effectively at only +2 "net"?
03-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks UV, that is precisely my question. I'm like you, I can't decide by using just one lens to test, I guess I'll just have to go back through several of my AF lenses and do a full test. I've never seen a definitive answer, just some posts by a couple of members stating that it was cumulative on later models and these discussions were in 2014 and 2015. I guess I'll have to do a full test of several lens to assure myself.

Larry

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I understand the question - but I don't have an answer. I tried experimentally testing and I can't decide. The apply all in theory applies to all - but your point is (I assume) does it apply to those lenses that have specific dialed in adjustments or does it ignore those lenses.

Practical example:
An FA lens is tested and needs +5, then...
A bunch of K, M, and A lenses are tested and a global setting of let's say -3 is found to be the best compromise.
Is the FA lens still dialed in or is it effectively at only +2 "net"?
03-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Thanks UV, that is precisely my question. I'm like you, I can't decide by using just one lens to test, I guess I'll just have to go back through several of my AF lenses and do a full test. I've never seen a definitive answer, just some posts by a couple of members stating that it was cumulative on later models and these discussions were in 2014 and 2015. I guess I'll have to do a full test of several lens to assure myself.

Larry
When you figure it out - please post - I'm curious myself.

---------- Post added 03-23-18 at 02:17 PM ----------

The other scenario is:

DA lens +10 isn't enough, can I add more using global?

03-23-2018, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

An interesting question, but also one that's easy to test empirically.

There are 4 possible scenarios:
1. Apply one takes precedence over apply all. If a lens has an individual setting, it will be the one actually used.
2. Apply all takes precedence over apply one. Regardless of your apply one setting, the apply all setting is used.
3. The greater of the two values is used (in terms of magnitude).
4. They stack

IMO the most likely scenario is #1, and the least likely is #4.

Since you're mainly interested in whether or not #4 is the case: set the lens to +10, apply all to +0, and take a photo of your test chart. Then, set apply all to +10. Take another photo, and compare. If they are the same, then you can cross off #4. If they are different, then #4 it is!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
When you figure it out - please post - I'm curious myself.

---------- Post added 03-23-18 at 02:17 PM ----------

The other scenario is:

DA lens +10 isn't enough, can I add more using global?
I'll do that.

A couple of my non Pentax lens ended up close to the minus limit and most of my DA lens were close to the center of the fine tune scale. My problem lens is my DFA 100 2.8 it is all over the place and I can't count on it for reliable shot to sht focus.

Larry
03-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Though stacking might not be as unlikely as you suggest, Adam. If the camera is generally maladjusted, then the apply all might reasonably be a global solution. But even in that case, certain lenses might be out of alignment themselves, and need specific adjustments. The stacking model would also be useful to achieve additional adjustment range beyond the +/-10, in a similar scenario.
03-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I'll do that.

A couple of my non Pentax lens ended up close to the minus limit and most of my DA lens were close to the center of the fine tune scale. My problem lens is my DFA 100 2.8 it is all over the place and I can't count on it for reliable shot to sht focus.

Larry
At normal (non-macro) distances? or between normal and macro?
03-23-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

My understanding is that Apply All does not work cumulatively with Apply One and over-rides any previously applied Apply One settings.
03-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This agrees with what JohnX wrote above:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: AF Fine Adjustment: "Apply All" and "Apply One" Fully Explained
03-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
At normal (non-macro) distances? or between normal and macro?
I calibrated the DFA 100 2.8 at the recommended distance of 8.2 feet per 100mm.

Larry
03-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
My understanding is that Apply All does not work cumulatively with Apply One and over-rides any previously applied Apply One settings.
Yup, that's how I think it works, which has always seemed a little dangerous to me. Eg previous set up a few lenses, then inadvertently set a new one to Apply All. Previous results all gone. Therefore I make a note of each setting, just in case. Even if it doesn't work that way, why, when more than one lens has already been set, would you not be going down the route of testing each lens? It's a chore and takes a considerable time, but makes me feel more in control of the situation. Also, the individual settings approach still allows each to be set up the same, albeit as Apply One for each, then work on each individually to tweak as required.

Interestingly, previous K3s were around +5 for each lens, while my FFs are both 0. I've heard others say the K1s are less in need of AF adjustments. Wonder if this is true ? Does make it easier ...