Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Two SD Cards and Write speeds

Will putting a second card in my K3 decrease the amount of downtime I have between shots? For example, while it writes a long exposure image to card 1, will the camera then be able to take photos again?

03-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
Will putting a second card in my K3 decrease the amount of downtime I have between shots? For example, while it writes a long exposure image to card 1, will the camera then be able to take photos again?
No it will not. I use the second card to mirror the first. That way if a card fails I have the other as a backup.
03-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using multiple cards is always slower than using one.

While the camera can allow you to continue shooting while it's writing data, operations that lock it up such as slow shutter speed noise reduction or distortion correction would prevent this. You should consider disabling said processing if speed is your priority.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
No it will not. I use the second card to mirror the first. That way if a card fails I have the other as a backup.
I usually use Kodak, Ilford, or some hand loaded goodness as my back ups...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Using multiple cards is always slower than using one.

While the camera can allow you to continue shooting while it's writing data, operations that lock it up such as slow shutter speed noise reduction or distortion correction would prevent this. You should consider disabling said processing if speed is your priority.
I will have to see about that then. Where do I find these options?

03-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For greater certainly it depends on the settings you use. I usually have mine set to save sequentially. That way the second card is only in use if the first one fills up. I like it this way as it serves as a sort of warning that I'm reaching high numbers of images. It also eliminates the need to stop what I'm doing to switch cards when one is full. Of course there is no backup with this setting so it's advisable to buy the best SD cards you can get and not to buy the biggest SD cards. I've had failures in the past but only when I bought the cheapest drugstore quality cards and I don't do that anymore. Its been my experience that most name brand cards have several quality levels and if you buy the best you will get good quality. I think this is one of those products where you really do get what you pay for.

Since the camera is only writing to one card at a time there should be no change in write speeds.
03-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I will have to see about that then. Where do I find these options?
Distortion corrections are under the lens corrections sub-menu, and also in the control panel, by default.

Slow shutter speed can be disabled through a similar sub-menu:

My recommendation would be to add the relevant settings to your control panel, so that you can quickly make changes if needed.

Lastly, keep in mind that distortion corrections apply to jpegs only, while slow shutter speed NR applies to all files and effectively doubles your exposure time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2018, 03:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Slow shutter speed can be disabled through a similar sub-men:

Lastly, keep in mind that distortion corrections apply to jpegs only, while slow shutter speed NR applies to all files and effectively doubles your exposure time.
slow shutter speed NR - I never understood that corectly - And still don't

03-27-2018, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
slow shutter speed NR - I never understood that corectly - And still don't
Dark-frame subtraction - Wikipedia
03-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a slightly difference choice