Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Yup I do it all the time with my Dslrs...Im not saying Pentax is bad in fact It is often better in situations than my Sonys but shooting my 3 kids is a breeze with the Sonys.
Above is the advice I'd be listening to. If what matters to you is shooting your kids, get a camera that's good for shooting kids. If you need a "field camera" get a Pentax.

If you have other needs beside shooting your kids, your choice will be more complicated.

Maybe Pentax is best for us old geezers, who don't have kids anymore.

Personally, my limited experience with kids and my Pentax's would suggest, if i were doing it all the time, I'd like something else. whether I'd actually pay for something else just for kids, is the million dollar question. I do have many pictures of my grand kids but I see them only a few times year, and I'd rather just suffer with Pentax than buy something better. Pentax is good for what I do most of the time.

And I have 15 albums of photos of my kids taken with film and MF... there are no bad images in those albums.

Last edited by normhead; 04-03-2018 at 07:22 AM.
04-03-2018, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #47
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Personally, my limited experience with kids and my Pentax's would suggest, if i were doing it all the time, I'd like something else. whether I'd actually pay for something else just for kids, is the million dollar question. I do have many pictures of my grand kids but I see them only a few times year, and I'd rather just suffer with Pentax than buy something better. Pentax is good for what I do most of the time.

And I have 15 albums of photos of my kids taken with film and MF... there are no bad images in those albums.
"F/8 and be there"
04-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
"F/8 and be there"
Exactly, and my K-1 is set to ƒ8 as a default.I change it when necessary.

But to be fair, I usually didn't even try for images with my kids running around. I don't believe I've seen one taken with AF that I thought was worth keeping. We need a thread. "Images of your kid that needed fast AF." Someone must have some, for all the attention they get.

My point isn't that they are easy to get with Pentax, my point is, I don't know how much better it would be with something else.

It kinds of reminds me of that joke.

" Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Don't do that."

What's it worth to you to "do that"?

From my google search.
With all due respect, this may be a great AF action shot, but it's a horrible picture.

Last edited by normhead; 04-03-2018 at 09:00 AM.
04-03-2018, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

I've taken a ton of pictures of my 3 kids with manual focus... somehow I make it work.

Lately I've also been using the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art to take pictures of them, and I love it. I also somehow make it work, despite people saying its AF is absolutely horrible.

My wife tells me we have too many pictures of the kids. Imagine if I had AF that actually worked for that purpose, what would she say then?

Good luck to the OP in Sonyland. I am staying with Pentax, AF is obviously not up to the standards from other manufacturers but AF is only one piece of the puzzle. Looking at the whole picture, I'm staying where I am and I'll just continue taking pictures...

04-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
thanks a lot for the sum up, i'll try to get my hand a the A6000 and kit lens for a start, if the AF goes as well as they advertise (on a kit lens) i'll sell my pentax gear (tears drop!!!), as much as i love the DA15, FA 31, FA 77 (the FA77 will be gone last) i'd need some extra cash when switching
Try to buy the a6000 body and a used 18-55mm Kit lens. The 16-50mm is not very good, it's only saving grace is the compactness.
04-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #51
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Lately I've also been using the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art to take pictures of them, and I love it. I also somehow make it work, despite people saying its AF is absolutely horrible.
+1. I feel like I must be using a different lens to the people that have commented negatively on it. I only use the centre AF point, so maybe that helps... Given that, mine seems to work just fine. And I love the rendering
04-03-2018, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

+1. I feel like I must be using a different lens to the people that have commented negatively on it. I only use the centre AF point, so maybe that helps... Given that, mine seems to work just fine. And I love the rendering
Same here, center point AF only. Otherwise the lens is so contrasty wide open, it doesn't really know what to focus on.

As I learn that lens, I also notice that it does not like underexposure. Expose it right and it sings.

At least that lens would be an option for the Sony A6x00, as a very similar Sigma lens is sold as the Sigma Contemporary 30mm f/1.4. The optical formula is just slightly different, if I remember right it has one more aspherical element compared to the Art. And it's good that it's an option - now that I have a fast normal lens for APS-C, I think no system should be without it. It's far more useful that I ever thought it would be.

04-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try to buy the a6000 body and a used 18-55mm Kit lens. The 16-50mm is not very good, it's only saving grace is the compactness.
From memory the 16-50 requires a lot of in body lens correction, so there's a fair bit of manipulation going on with it to make it appear ok.
04-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
From memory the 16-50 requires a lot of in body lens correction, so there's a fair bit of manipulation going on with it to make it appear ok.
Yes the 18-55mm is much better.. IQ and Build.
04-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Yes the 18-55mm is much better.. IQ and Build.
Thanks a lot for this info ! i just got my hand on a A6000 and a 28mm f2 and will play with it for a while before deciding if a switch is worth it
04-04-2018, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

what is the sony equivalence of pentaxforums.

I have tried sonyalphaforums and sonyalphalab. Both places do not have action like PEF. Very much Surprised.

PEF really is a great community.
04-04-2018, 01:39 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote

we all have same wishes, and we're sharing same problems
04-04-2018, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #58

I've never shot weddings, nor do I intend to, but I don't know of any system from any major brand (Pentax included) that doesn't have perfectly suitable lenses for the job, whether micro 4/3, APS-C or full-frame. For the most part, you need a fast wide-normal zoom and telephoto zoom combo. Maybe add in a fast prime for creative shallow-depth-of-field, and a decent macro for ring and cake shots, that sort of thing... But surely, that - and some skill - has it covered... No?
I don't shoot weddings either, but I heard on a video that some wedding photographers charge extra for silent shutter. I don't know if that's true, or good business, but the SONY A9 has a silent electronic shutter. Once a wedding photographer opts for a camera that can do that, I imagine it's tough to go back.

---------- Post added 04-04-18 at 05:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
The grass is not always greener on the other side. These are the things i miss when im shooting my sony aps-c. 1. weather-sealing, pentax is spoiling us with relatively affordable weather sealed camera and lenses. olympus and fuji can give you this, but at a much higher price. 2. small 55-300mm, native apsc e mount maxes out at 200mm, 3. IBIS unless your buying a6500 which is about the same price as the A7ii. 4. in camera raw processing. 5. built in time lapse (no more play memories in newer bodies). 6. sony's apsc system has the the worst price to quality ratio in my opinion, unlike the FE counterpart, prepare to pay significantly higher price for mediocre optical lens performance.
When I had the SONY A6000, I missed dual control wheels and the green button. Since I sold my A6000, I don't miss having my camera overheat when taking stills.
04-04-2018, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
what is the sony equivalence of pentaxforums.

I have tried sonyalphaforums and sonyalphalab. Both places do not have action like PEF. Very much Surprised.

Talkemount.com is very friendly and feels alot like pentaxforums.com

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 04-05-2018 at 04:58 AM.
04-04-2018, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
First impression on the A6000 and FE 28mm f2, the combo is very fast, like really really fast, i click the back button focus and it lock focus instantly ! That might be the lens (internal focus) or both body+lens, so the Sony AF speed is exactly as advertised, the face tracking is very good if there is 1 face in the frame (more faces will confuse the camera and it will focus on the bigger face ).
That's the good, now the bad, as many already mentioned, the menu is horrible, the control is less than optimal and the grip is so small and slippery (i could drop the camera any moment if i hold it with one hand), and the AF speed doesn't translate to accuracy when using at f2 (i usually use the widest aperture for portrait shots) and eye-AF is not always there (if the person is not directly facing the camera), eye-AF also takes more time to lock focus (way slower than face tracking !)
The IQ is ok for me, color is good, exposure is good (tend to over-expose a tiny bit but nothing to complaint about), sharpness is good if focus correctly.
That's the first impression, i'll play with it a little more before making any conclusion

Last edited by redcat; 04-05-2018 at 07:36 PM.