Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2018, 10:34 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Talkemount.com is very friendly and feels alot like pentaxforums.com except without
Thanks for this. It was nice to see go there. Phew!!! the handball shots on that first page are amazing.

---------- Post added 05-04-18 at 08:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
First impression on the A6000 and FE 28mm f2, the combo is very fast, like really really fast, i click the back button focus and it lock focus instantly ! That might be the lens (internal focus) or both body+lens, so the Sony AF speed is exactly as advertised, the face tracking is very good if there is 1 face in the frame (more faces will confuse the camera and it will focus on the bigger face ).
That's the good, now the bad, as many already mentioned, the menu is horrible, the control is less than optimal and the grip is so small and slippery (i could drop the camera any moment if i hold it with one hand), and the AF speed doesn't translate the accuracy when using f2 (i usually use the widest aperture for portrait shots) and eye-AF is not always there (if the person is not directly facing the camera), eye-AF also takes more time to lock focus (way slower than face tracking !)
The IQ is ok for me, color is good, exposure is good (tend to over-expose a tiny bit but nothing to complaint about), sharpness is good if focus correctly.
That's the first impression, i'll play with it a little more before making any conclusion
I also held the A6000 a few weeks ago in my hand. The ergonomics was not good. Not if you are coming from a dslr. Grip is too small.
I have not held the A6500 but I understand the grip is better. Still not dslr.
I wondered why you chose the A6000 but you might have your own reason. Especially if you are just using it for your kids and not professionally.

04-05-2018, 01:43 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I wondered why you chose the A6000 but you might have your own reason. Especially if you are just using it for your kids and not professionally.
I just borrow from a friend (who happens to have a A6000) and not buy any new body yet, I'll get familiar with the Sony A series to see if it's worth the switch I might to after the A6500 or A7 III if the Sony A series match my needs (kids and portrait photos)
04-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update on the Sony AF : the AF is still really fast in real-life shooting, i used it to shoot my ~2yo daughter and the AF is snappy, if she is not running too fast then it can focus quick enough (combo : A6000 + FE 28/2), i use face detection because eye-AF is not available for AF-C on A6000 (it's avai on A6500, A7R2...). But again the AF is quick but not always spot-on, i do see some out of focus results but can't really blame the camera, my child move quite a lot So i think the AF of Sony (body + lens) is really good, as it's advertised and as many shooters already confirm. Still hesitate to sell my Pentax gears to jump ship because Sony lacks small+awesome lens like FA77 which would match the small mirrorless body, someone review the TechArt adapter and it looks like the adapter AF is not that great
04-23-2018, 11:02 PM   #64
Pentaxian

he TechArt adapter and it looks like the adapter AF is not that great
It depends on the lens, watch all the youtubes.It works but may be limited to certain situations.Theres a cheaper adapter that piggybacks the TAP firmware(its a direct copy).

Sony native lenses costalotta if you want the good ones but you can probably get by with some basic ones.The 24-105 f4 has just won an award and it covers wide to short telephoto.

04-23-2018, 11:54 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The 24-105 f4 has just won an award and it covers wide to short telephoto.
thanks for this info, very informative, i'll definitely check that lens
04-25-2018, 03:06 AM   #66
Veteran Member

For the cost of the Techart I dont think you should go that route.
I think you should go native. The Sony FE 50 1.8 seems to be quite cheap.
04-25-2018, 03:15 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
For the cost of the Techart I dont think you should go that route.
I think you should go native. The Sony FE 50 1.8 seems to be quite cheap.
I think redcat is saying that he really likes his Pentax glass (read quality combined with size). The Sony 50 f1.8 is a fine lens, but it isn't the same as an FA 77.

04-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think redcat is saying that he really likes his Pentax glass (read quality combined with size). The Sony 50 f1.8 is a fine lens, but it isn't the same as an FA 77.
But autofocus may be important and that adapter isn't getting a lot of great reviews.
04-27-2018, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
But autofocus may be important and that adapter isn't getting a lot of great reviews.
thanks, both are true, quality + size + AF = dream lens that's what Sony needs to work on, they have great bodies but their lenses are all bulky, it makes the combo look and feel ridiculously imbalance (their inspiration might comes from the romance of Hulk & Black Widow)
04-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #70
Pentaxian

but their lenses are all bulky, it makes the combo look and feel ridiculously imbalance (their inspiration might comes from the romance of Hulk & Black Widow)
You would have to take away the OSS and the very quiet AF motors from the Sony lenses. As well you would have to add 3cm to the Camera. NO THANK YOU! I think you are generalizing and exaggerating. Both systems have mostly great lenses with a few so so lenses.
04-27-2018, 06:50 AM   #71
Pentaxian

With the release of the A9 Sony pretty much admitted their cameras weren't up to industry standards for build and durability (the same way Pentax admits it's AF isn't up to industry standards.) They said "we are working on it." Which is exactly what Pentax says about their AF. You gotta learn to interpret market speak. "We are working to improve it." means "it sucks".
05-10-2018, 03:44 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You would have to take away the OSS and the very quiet AF motors from the Sony lenses
The A6500/A7Rii/A7iii has in body stabilization so any lens will be stabilized (they learned sth from Pentax ) and you are absolutely right about how quiet the AF is, i don't really think about AF noise before using Sony but now that i use it, it make me hear the Pentax AF noise very clearly (which didn't bother me before but somehow bothers me now )
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"We are working to improve it." means "it sucks".
Exactly, that's why i don't expect a Pentax fast AF or mirroless anytime soon A9 is too expensive and offers things i don't really need but A6500/A7Rii/A7iii are kinda budget friendly now, i'm still resisting but don't know for how long :|
05-10-2018, 04:03 AM   #73
Veteran Member

The A6500/A7Rii/A7iii has in body stabilization so any lens will be stabilized (they learned sth from Pentax ) and you are absolutely right about how quiet the AF is, i don't really think about AF noise before using Sony but now that i use it, it make me hear the Pentax AF noise very clearly (which didn't bother me before but somehow bothers me now )

Exactly, that's why i don't expect a Pentax fast AF or mirroless anytime soon A9 is too expensive and offers things i don't really need but A6500/A7Rii/A7iii are kinda budget friendly now, i'm still resisting but don't know for how long :|
Just like you I was think had. It made my head hurt.
I bought my A7III, I have preordered the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 based on initial reviews.
I will order and the A6500 in august along with the sony FE 85 f1.8
05-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Optical Stabilization is more effective than IBIS.I do like the convenience of using ibis with manual lenses however as well.
Sony Did not learn IBIS from Pentax it's been in Sony DSLR cameras since 2006 in A100 a year before Pentax introduced IBIS
05-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Optical Stabilization is more effective than IBIS.I do like the convenience of using ibis with manual lenses however as well.
Sony Did not learn IBIS from Pentax it's been in Sony DSLR cameras since 2006 in A100 a year before Pentax introduced IBIS
The data I have seen doesn't seem to support your assertion except for long lenses. Even then the dual implementations seem better still.

If you have some reasonably current test data that shows optical is better at non-telephoto focal lengths I'd be interested in reading it.