Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #1

K-3ii and D FA 24-70 lens compatibility

Perhaps this is a dumb question (wouldn't be my first!), but is the Pentax D FA 24-70 f/2.8 compatible with APS-C sensors, such as the K-3ii? Every time I see the lens advertised, it's listed as if it's specifically designed for full frame cameras, but I don't know if that means it's only for full fame cameras or not. I assume it's just a regular old K-mount and should work on other APS-C bodies as well, but just want to make sure I can use it with a K-3ii. For example, when I search on B&H for Pentax lenses, they list this lens as an option for full frame Pentax, but if you search just for lenses that work with APS-C bodies, it does not list the 24-70.

Thanks!

04-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazelle01 Quote
Perhaps this is a dumb question (wouldn't be my first!), but is the Pentax D FA 24-70 f/2.8 compatible with APS-C sensors, such as the K-3ii? Every time I see the lens advertised, it's listed as if it's specifically designed for full frame cameras, but I don't know if that means it's only for full fame cameras or not. I assume it's just a regular old K-mount and should work on other APS-C bodies as well, but just want to make sure I can use it with a K-3ii. For example, when I search on B&H for Pentax lenses, they list this lens as an option for full frame Pentax, but if you search just for lenses that work with APS-C bodies, it does not list the 24-70.

Thanks!
Yes, it's compatible. We even have a review of it on the K-3:

Pentax-D FA 24-70mm First Impressions Review - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep, that lens will work just fine on your K-3ii. It will of course have a crop factor effectively making the lens a 36-105mm (FF equivalent) I believe.
04-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, it's compatible. We even have a review of it on the K-3:

Pentax-D FA 24-70mm First Impressions Review - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com
Awesome! Thanks, problem solved.

04-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazelle01 Quote

Thanks!
Yes, absolutely. "Specifically design for FF cameras" merely means there will be no coverage issues, e.g. it *ISN'T* designed just for crop-sensors, which is where you may run into trouble. There will be a crop factor to consider, but virtually any lenses meant for film-era cameras or FF digital will function perfectly well on an APS-C camera, with the bonus of having upward mobility; you can use them on FF in the future. The exception to that rule are modern FF lenses that do NOT have an aperture ring; these will mount and work fine on older film cameras but you will have no way to control the iris and so (in most cases) the lens will only be able to be used at its widest aperture setting.
04-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oddly I've never tried it on cropped. I'm not a fan on FF, as it's heavy and weak on the edges. However, on cropped it could work well with the smaller sensor area being required to be covered. A focal range on cropped of 35-100mm FF equivalent could be quite useful. Still won't stop it being heavy though ;-)

It will be interesting to see what folk say ...
04-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Yep, that lens will work just fine on your K-3ii. It will of course have a crop factor effectively making the lens a 36-105mm (FF equivalent) I believe.
Just to avoid confusion - the lens will not look different than a crop lens set to 24-70 on the K-3ii. The lens will appear less wide than it does on the K-1 but that's normal crop stuff. The format the lens is made for only determines the maximum size sensor it can cover - and on any sensor smaller than what it was designed for it will still provide the same image field of view as a lens of the same focal length made for the sensor. (So for example: on a Q any 24mm will be a telephoto - even one's made for the Q.)

04-04-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Stop stop stop !

All this equivalence nonsense. The lens he is referring to is a 24-70. He wants to put it on a aps-c crop sensor. It will behave like any other 24-70 lens.
04-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All full frame lenses are usable on crop. The DFA24-70 is no exception.

And as UncleVanya and pschlute have said, if you are only using one sensor size, talk of equivalence is a waste of energy.