Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2018, 02:29 AM   #1

Pentax K3 Stock Lens Problem

Hi All,

I've currently got a Pentax K-3 which I've been very happy about for the past couple of years. Today, I was taking a photo and noticed that the lens viewfinder was showing a good photo but the photo was not the same on the screen. This does not happen in live mode which is correct. I've also tried my Sigma 18-300 lens which does not show this problem. Is there anything I can do apart from sending my lens to be repaired or using the Live mode??

04-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum

you have done the first step, lots of knowledgeable and friendly members here usually eager to help out

if you can post a photo, perhaps the linked EXIF data can be helpful in determining the problem
04-22-2018, 04:43 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Perhaps you've changed the viewfinder metering mode to spot or center weighted? Or, there could be an issue with the meter. Definitely post a sample so we can take a look

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2018, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I'm not clear what you mean by "not the same". Are you talking exposure or composition? If composition, is this using the playback button (triangle button) - by any chance have you activated the magnify feature?

04-22-2018, 05:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

To put it simple, when I look through the viewfinder object is centered. When a photo is taken, the object moves to the left. This does not happen in live mode. There is no problem with exposure of sharpness. I'll try and take a photo and upload the info stated in the next 24 hours.
04-22-2018, 05:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mfedley Quote
Hi All,

I've currently got a Pentax K-3 which I've been very happy about for the past couple of years. Today, I was taking a photo and noticed that the lens viewfinder was showing a good photo but the photo was not the same on the screen. This does not happen in live mode which is correct. I've also tried my Sigma 18-300 lens which does not show this problem. Is there anything I can do apart from sending my lens to be repaired or using the Live mode??
Welcome to Pentax Forums!

The viewfinder is basically only for composition and its always going to show you a bright view because you are viewing the subject through the widest aperture the lens at the current focal length is capable of of going to. Was the view screen darker or lighter upon review of the photograph? Are you using an "automatic" mode or manual mode, do you have exposure compensation set to anything other than zero? Like others have said you need to post a photo that is presenting the problem so that the EXIF data can be viewed.

After your last post explaining the problem further you might need to post two photos one a viewfinder shot and one a live view shot of the same subject.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 04-22-2018 at 06:17 AM. Reason: After OP explanation
04-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the help. I'm including a photo from ealier today along with a better breakdown of my problem along with what I have done/tried so that hopefully everything is a bit clearer.

(1) I noticed that the photo being produced by the camera was not the same as what was being seen through the viewfinder. The sharpness and detail are the same, but the image seems to move 10% to the left compared to what is seen through the viewfinder. This is exacerbated when the object is taken on an odd angle. There appears to be no problem with the image on the camera screen and final photo.
(2) I got home and changed my lens (to a Sigma 18-250mm) and there are no problems with the viewfinder. All goes back to normal but the picture is much softer compared to the Pentax 18-135mm lens.
(3) All settings set to factory default. Photo still moves ~10% to the left compared to the viewfinder.

Note that I am rather a newbie when it comes to the nitty gritty of the camera. Expect all settings to be on auto. To give you an idea, I thought my camera lens was not working a couple of months ago and found that I acidentally knocked the Manual Focus toggle by mistake....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So does the problem only occur with one lens? If it was a lens problem I would expect that the image would be the same among the viewfinder, live view and in the image. The only think that I can think of that could cause a difference in the composure between the viewfinder and the live view / image would be either the prism for the viewfinder is mis-aligned or the mirror is not returning to the optimal location. However, both of these problems would apply to all lenses. For composition the image and live view should always be the same. Is the problem continuing? A mirror problem could be intermittent I suppose.
04-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If possible reset your camera to defaults.
04-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

To put it simple, when I look through the viewfinder object is centered. When a photo is taken, the object moves to the left. This does not happen in live mode. There is no problem with exposure of sharpness.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

It is possible that something is out of alignment (mirror or focus screen or prism or ocular) in the viewfinder optical path. It is also possible that the camera position changed during shutter release (photographer flinch).

Does the same thing happen when using a tripod?

Steve
04-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #11

Thanks for all of the help. I'm including a photo from ealier today along with a better breakdown of my problem along with what I have done/tried so that hopefully everything is a bit clearer.

(1) I noticed that the photo being produced by the camera was not the same as what was being seen through the viewfinder. The sharpness and detail are the same, but the image seems to move 10% to the left compared to what is seen through the viewfinder. This is exacerbated when the object is taken on an odd angle. There appears to be no problem with the image on the camera screen and final photo.
(2) I got home and changed my lens (to a Sigma 18-250mm) and there are no problems with the viewfinder. All goes back to normal but the picture is much softer compared to the Pentax 18-135mm lens.
(3) All settings set to factory default. Photo still moves ~10% to the left compared to the viewfinder.

Note that I am rather a newbie when it comes to the nitty gritty of the camera. Expect all settings to be on auto. To give you an idea, I thought my camera lens was not working a couple of months ago and found that I acidentally knocked the Manual Focus toggle by mistake....
Are you sure you are looking straight through viewfinder parallel to the lens axis? Or could you be looking slightly to one side of the lens axis and getting a slightly offset view? I've tried this with my KP looking through viewfinder at a slight angle and something which appears central is actually captured about 10% off the centre. Do you wear glasses when taking photos using viewfinder? That might be the problem. Make sure viewfinder is tightly tucked against your face when taking shot and your eye is looking directly along lens axis.
Hope this helps.
Steve
04-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photo softness with the Sigma is a focus issue. Are you lining up the shot with the subject in the center of the focus screen or lining up on the red dot focus indicator? If your focus dot is off to the right and you line up on it your resulting photo will move as you say it does. otherwise, you might want to do what @UncleVanya suggested, do a full reset. This is a head scratcher!

Larry
04-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am wondering if the composition adjustment is set and activating which can only be seen via Live View our by reviewing the pics.
04-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I am wondering if the composition adjustment is set and activating which can only be seen via Live View our by reviewing the pics.
I wondered about that too, but ruled it out fairly quickly on my K-3. When leaving live view, there is a warning that composition adjustments will be lost. I then did a test exposure to be certain.

Steve
04-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That may be whats happening and the camera is set to retain the setting in Camera Menu 4/memory. When I tried it with my K-3 the setting is not retained for the next Live View shot unless its set to retain the setting in Camera Menu 4 /memory. This should affect every lens used the same way though.

Larry

---------- Post added 04-22-18 at 01:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wondered about that too, but ruled it out fairly quickly on my K-3. When leaving live view, there is a warning that composition adjustments will be lost. I then did a test exposure to be certain.

Steve
Steve the K-3 will retain the offset if camera menu 4/memory is checked.

Larry