Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Steve the K-3 will retain the offset if camera menu 4/memory is checked.
It will retain between live view sessions, but not on a move out of live view.

Steve

04-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mfedley Quote
When a photo is taken, the object moves to the left. This does not happen in live mode. There is no problem with exposure of sharpness.
If you have a tripod, ʻlock it downʻ (so it wonʻt move) and run a test with a stationary scene:

1) With your Pentax 18-135mm at letʻs say 100mm using the optical view finder.
2) The same as above with Live View.
3) With your Sigma with the optical view finder also at 100mm.
4) The same as #3 but with Live View.

Is #1 still shifting to one side? Or is #1 and #3 shifting to one side?
04-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
If you have a tripod, ʻlock it downʻ (so it wonʻt move) and run a test with a stationary scene:

1) With your Pentax 18-135mm at letʻs say 100mm using the optical view finder.
2) The same as above with Live View.
3) With your Sigma with the optical view finder also at 100mm.
4) The same as #3 but with Live View.

Is #1 still shifting to one side? Or is #1 and #3 shifting to one side?
if the OP doesn't have a tripod, the same experiment might be done if the camera body can be placed on a solid object as opposed to trying to hand hold the camera and lens

correct ?
04-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
if the OP doesn't have a tripod, the same experiment might be done if the camera body can be placed on a solid object as opposed to trying to hand hold the camera and lens

correct ?
Sure, but he really wants to make sure it isnʻt sliding/panning at all, so then use a pillow, cushion, bean or rice bags...just make sure it doesnʻt shift or move between changing lenses. Or put some tape on the wall or table to make sure the alignment remains the same.

04-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Sure, but he really wants to make sure it isnʻt sliding/panning at all, so then use a pillow, cushion, bean or rice bags...just make sure it doesnʻt shift or move between changing lenses. Or put some tape on the wall or table to make sure the alignment remains the same.
good points for sure

I only thought that not everyone has a tripod

[ and the OP is too far away for me to loan him one of the several i have ]
04-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It will retain between live view sessions, but not on a move out of live view.

Steve
Nope, just checked it and even turned the camera off. When I went back into live view it showed my setting of 10 to the left. There is a setting in the camera menu 4/memory/2/Live View that if checked will retain the off-set settings if you press the OK button after doing the off-set in Live View. Give it a look. I'm not sure what value it is, although my K-3 Live View center of focus is slightly off from my View Finder red dot. I might try that to match up the focus points better

Larry
04-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #22
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi mFedley

What the lens and film/sensor see"s has best to my knowledge has always been different to the viewfinder.
Is this what you are seeing" So you get more than you thought when viewing the picture.

Dave

04-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi mFedley

What the lens and film/sensor see"s has best to my knowledge has always been different to the viewfinder.
Is this what you are seeing" So you get more than you thought when viewing the picture.

Dave
On the K3, the optical viewfinder is supposed to be 100% coverage albeit .95x magnification. This is not the case on all DSLRs, but is typical specs on a flagship model. (For example, the K-r had a pentamirror with 96% coverage and .85x magnification.)

As I understand the OPs concern: With one lens only, there is a shift to the left relative to his OVF on the recorded image.
04-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #24
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Alex
I went for the easy option,others have mentioned a technique problem or camera setting problem.
Yes I am usually wrong.

Dave
04-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Alex
I went for the easy option,others have mentioned a technique problem or camera setting problem.
Yes I am usually wrong.

Dave
Dave, heck as far as I know, weʻre all wrong, or we could all be partially right too. I appreciate these puzzlers and everyoneʻs ideas. Ultimately, when the OP runs some "proper" tests, we can by process of elimination narrow down the cause.

If I had a dollar for every right answer vs. wrong guess, Iʻd be in debt.
04-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #26
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Alex

Whehw then I am not alone
After re-reading the OP"s post I reckon his" stock lens" is playing up.

Dave
04-22-2018, 10:41 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Nope, just checked it and even turned the camera off.
I guess that means that I didn't check mine, except that photographic evidence says that I did.

Steve
04-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #28

Hi mfedley

I just purchased a K3 II this last week. While I have been getting familiar with it I was having a similar problem to what you described. As it turns out I was having a difficult time looking thru the view finder with my bi-focal glasses on. As soon as I viewed without any glasses on, the problem went away.

Do you wear glasses or have you had a new prescription lately? If so this might be part of the problem.

Good Luck
04-23-2018, 03:15 AM   #29

Original Poster
Hi All,

First thanks for all of the info and I've completed a bit more experimentation on it now that I'm not so tired. Some of my original comments were actually incorrect now that I have completed more experimentation. I'll state what my problem is, along with what equipment I have, what I have tested and what the results where.

Original Problem: Viewfinder and photo do not match up. Viewfinder photo seems to be 10% to the right. Occurs on K-3 18-135mm stock lens. No problems when using Live Mode

Equipment for Experimentation: Pentax K3, Pentax Kr, Pentax 18-135mm lens, Pentax 18-55mm lens, Pentax 55-300 lens, Sigma 18-250 lens

Pentax K3 + 18-135mm lens: The photo DOES move 10% to the right. It is fine in LIVE mode. However, I can hear something moving when it is in live mode but it locks into place when using the viewfinder.

Pentax K3 + Sigma 18-250mm lens: The photo DOES move 10% to the right. It is fine in LIVE mode. However, I can hear something moving when it is in live mode but it locks into place when using the viewfinder.

Pentax Kr with 18-135 mm lens: no problems.

Pentax Kr with Sigma 18-250mm lens: no problems.

MAIN COMMENT: When I use the 18-135mm lens and Sigma 18-250mm lens in LIVE mode I hear movement when I move the camera slowly back and forth. Could it be that the viewfinder mirrors are potentially jiggling around??

Pentax Kr with 18-55 & 55-300mm lens: no problems
04-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mfedley Quote
Hi All,

First thanks for all of the info and I've completed a bit more experimentation on it now that I'm not so tired. Some of my original comments were actually incorrect now that I have completed more experimentation. I'll state what my problem is, along with what equipment I have, what I have tested and what the results where.

Original Problem: Viewfinder and photo do not match up. Viewfinder photo seems to be 10% to the right. Occurs on K-3 18-135mm stock lens. No problems when using Live Mode

Equipment for Experimentation: Pentax K3, Pentax Kr, Pentax 18-135mm lens, Pentax 18-55mm lens, Pentax 55-300 lens, Sigma 18-250 lens

Pentax K3 + 18-135mm lens: The photo DOES move 10% to the right. It is fine in LIVE mode. However, I can hear something moving when it is in live mode but it locks into place when using the viewfinder.

Pentax K3 + Sigma 18-250mm lens: The photo DOES move 10% to the right. It is fine in LIVE mode. However, I can hear something moving when it is in live mode but it locks into place when using the viewfinder.

Pentax Kr with 18-135 mm lens: no problems.

Pentax Kr with Sigma 18-250mm lens: no problems.

MAIN COMMENT: When I use the 18-135mm lens and Sigma 18-250mm lens in LIVE mode I hear movement when I move the camera slowly back and forth. Could it be that the viewfinder mirrors are potentially jiggling around??

Pentax Kr with 18-55 & 55-300mm lens: no problems
So the the frame off set is OK? What you are hearing in live view is probably normal operation of the K-3, mine does it too, stop worrying about it and take photos!

Larry