Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a K3iI and noticed a similar problem, it turned out I was not holding the camera parallel to my face. Make sure the image is centered in the viewfinder, then try.

Tuggie76

04-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
This is not normal, as youʻve suspected, as the Kr uses a smaller, less bright pentamirror compared to the K3 larger and brighter pentaprism.

If you can see a significant reversal of this, then something is amiss with your K3 pentaprism that needs repair unless youʻre willing to always use Live View. The pentaprism is a solid piece of glass, and the off-centering and dimmer view seems to suggest that the glue or foam that seats it has become dislodged and needs to be repaired.

This can happen by physical impact, environmental shock (extreme changes in heat and humidity), or a manufacturing issue that is manifesting itself now. Probably a combination of events, which in my experience is rare.
Thanks for the info Alex. The comment on extreme weather changes is a possibility. I used to live in Kazakhstan where on occasions it does not get above -30C some days. As such, the camera has been outside in -25C on a couple of occasions. It's also been dropped on a couple of occasions (family....) which could have also caused it.

I'm also confirming that it's not caused by looking through the viewfinder on the wrong angle. I've tested multiple lenses and two bodies both using freehand and on flat surfaces.

Does anyone know if getting the pentaprism fixed is normally an expensive repair? Just trying to work out if it's better to buy a new body or get my old body fixed....
04-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mfedley Quote
Does anyone know if getting the pentaprism fixed is normally an expensive repair? Just trying to work out if it's better to buy a new body or get my old body fixed....
I personally have fixed and replaced a K1000 (film) pentaprisms (desilvering), but I can imagine a DSLR is going to be more labor intensive, not to mention all the gaskets for the weather-sealing. KEH.com charges $300 and thatʻs probably the ballpark for Precision as well.

So then the questions remain:
How many actuations on your K3? How much life is left on it or before repairs will be needed for other issues?

A used K-3 in excellent condition with a 180 day warranty on KEH is currently $468.
A new K70 is $600.
A new K-3II is $830. (that price will drop as itʻs replacement is due in perhaps in November)
A new KP is $900.

So if budget is the concern, a $300 repair (my best guess) is the best deal unless youʻre up there in the 50,000 actuation age.
04-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I have a K3iI and noticed a similar problem, it turned out I was not holding the camera parallel to my face. Make sure the image is centered in the viewfinder, then try.

Tuggie76
Tuggie,

Interesting you have confirmed a suggestion I made earlier in the thread that this might be the problem. I deliberately tried looking slightly off centre into my KP v/f and got exactly this effect.

Steve

04-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockbox Quote
Tuggie,

Interesting you have confirmed a suggestion I made earlier in the thread that this might be the problem. I deliberately tried looking slightly off centre into my KP v/f and got exactly this effect.

Steve
Yes, I noticed objects were more over to the right than I'd intended, then realised the camera was not straight!
The o_O may have a deeper problem, but that was my fix.

Tuggie76
04-29-2018, 05:30 AM   #51

Original Poster
Thanks for everyones comments. Some people questions of asking me if there was any ringing on the photo was spot on. It started today on the top right hand slide. Some are much worse than others, with it getting progressively worse throughout the day. As such, the suggestion that the pentaprism is loose seems to be the right diagnosis.

As I am currently traveling and I cannot put my Pentax K3 into a repair centre until late June and also needing a camera for work (my Kr is not up to scratch plus it's currently in another country), I need to buy a new body tomorrow for work purposes (in Seoul of all places). As such, I wanted peoples views.

Is it better to get a Pentax K-70 or Pentax K3-ii??? Any comments would be appreciated as I need to get a new body tomorrow for work....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-29-2018, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here is a side by side by side comparison of the K 3 II, the K 70 and the K 3. I included the K 3 since you are currently using one. You can easily substitute or add another camera should you want to

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

there is a link there to the In Depth Review of each camera body

I like both my K 3 and K 3 II both with battery grips

the same battery grip works for both camera bodies should you not want to have 2 battery grips

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-battery-grip-bg-5-k-3.html

I have had no experience with the K 70

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-29-2018 at 06:09 AM.
04-29-2018, 06:04 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are shooting for work, the K-3ii let's you use the dual sd cards to make an immediate backup. That seems more important than other factors. Add to that the similar ergonomics, available grip, and I think it would be the best option.
04-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Personally, I'd look at the K-3ii versus the KP rather than the K-70. And my decision would be based on what functions I regularly used with my K-3.

Quick depth of field preview is important to me, but when ALL I can take is a body and one lens, I find I use that built-in flash for fill an awful lot. Battery size would also have some impact on my final decision.
05-01-2018, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #55

Original Poster
Thanks for the info all. I ended up hunting around Seoul and managed to find a Pentax K3-II Silver Body (ex display - never used) for a cheap price. Ironically, I could not finda new the K3-II in Seoul period. I do notice some improvements compared to my K3 but I have a lot of work trying to find how to use this camera to the best of it's ability (again.....). On a side note - I can now hear my pentaprism moving around when turned off in my old K3. Off to the repair shop when I go to Singapore.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo