Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strange issue when shooting video on K-3

So, this past weekend I was using my K-3 and when I went to test out the video capabilities in my hotel room, things got a little... well, weird.

Involved in this anomaly was my "new-to-me" K-3, D-BG5 grip with a Wasabi Power battery installed, and a screwdrive converted DA* 16-50 lens. In the camera were two SanDisk 64GB U3 cards.

To the problem:

When I first began to record, everything seemed fine until I tried to stop the recording. It wouldn't stop. No matter how many times I tried to push the button, it kept recording for at least another 10 seconds, or so I thought. At the end of that period, the screen went blank, the LCD display on top went blank, and the camera seemed to restart itself. When it came back, it appeared as if those additional ten seconds of footage weren't captured.

I then noticed that the rear display had some serious artifacts from the LiveView display. In the top portion, slight indications of the previous display were present. Turning the camera off and then on again did little to make them disappear. I then removed the grip and did the same thing, to no avail. I removed the SD cards, removed the battery and replaced it with a different battery only to see a slight reduction in the artifacts. Since this was the end of the first day of this trip, I turned my camera off, wondering if it was a firmware issue, and went to bed.

The next day, I noticed that the artifacts were almost gone, but were still faintly visible. The following day found that they had finally disappeared. Additionally, attempting to record video did not result in the same "rebooting" issue, as before, but I have not tried it much, since I was mainly at this event to coach and take pictures.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue with their K-3?

Thanks!

04-30-2018, 08:13 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
No, I haven't, but I can anticipate the first question that will be asked..."What battery was in the body and how old are both it and the Wasabi in the grip?"

Steve
05-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, I haven't, but I can anticipate the first question that will be asked..."What battery was in the body and how old are both it and the Wasabi in the grip?"

Steve
Pentax battery was in the body. Age is unknown, as I recently purchased both camera and grip off of our marketplace.

Wasabi was in grip, and is brand new.
05-02-2018, 05:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
So, this past weekend I was using my K-3 and when I went to test out the video capabilities in my hotel room, things got a little... well, weird.

Involved in this anomaly was my "new-to-me" K-3, D-BG5 grip with a Wasabi Power battery installed, and a screwdrive converted DA* 16-50 lens. In the camera were two SanDisk 64GB U3 cards.

To the problem:

When I first began to record, everything seemed fine until I tried to stop the recording. It wouldn't stop. No matter how many times I tried to push the button, it kept recording for at least another 10 seconds, or so I thought. At the end of that period, the screen went blank, the LCD display on top went blank, and the camera seemed to restart itself. When it came back, it appeared as if those additional ten seconds of footage weren't captured.

I then noticed that the rear display had some serious artifacts from the LiveView display. In the top portion, slight indications of the previous display were present. Turning the camera off and then on again did little to make them disappear. I then removed the grip and did the same thing, to no avail. I removed the SD cards, removed the battery and replaced it with a different battery only to see a slight reduction in the artifacts. Since this was the end of the first day of this trip, I turned my camera off, wondering if it was a firmware issue, and went to bed.

The next day, I noticed that the artifacts were almost gone, but were still faintly visible. The following day found that they had finally disappeared. Additionally, attempting to record video did not result in the same "rebooting" issue, as before, but I have not tried it much, since I was mainly at this event to coach and take pictures.

Thanks!

it seems like graphic problems.

aditional 10 sec - of delaying may be the processing time, which is somehow delayed, because something weird is happening in graphic chip