Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
New K3II mirror runaway still occurs?

Well yes it does, a bit to my surprise.
I bought a brandnew K3II, and on the first day out the mirror did a runaway out of the blue.
Difference with the mirror runaway on my earlier K3, is that it resumed normal shooting directly after without a need for turning off the camera and having to take the battery out because the camera would totally lock up.
No frame was taken though, so a real case of mirror flopping though.

So if it is limited to now and then, this type of mirror runaway would not be bothersome.
Do others still have this issue though?

Chris

05-03-2018, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Chris, does your K-3II have the latest firmware update installed? If not, it might be worth installing it. A firmware update seemed to prevent the mirror flap with the K-3. Good luck.
05-03-2018, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

The firmware didn’t stop it occurring, just detected it was happening and cut the power automatically 🙄
05-03-2018, 04:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Chris, does your K-3II have the latest firmware update installed? If not, it might be worth installing it. A firmware update seemed to prevent the mirror flap with the K-3. Good luck.
Yes, I have the latest K3II firmware (v1.10). I assumed that Pentax had solved the issue, certainly on later production runs of the K3II, but apparently not. As I said though, this version of the mirror runaway is much less bothersome than the locking up version of my K3.

---------- Post added 05-03-18 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The firmware didn’t stop it occurring, just detected it was happening and cut the power automatically ��
I don't think though that this is what happens on the K3II: power was not cut, the mirror stopped rattling after one or two seconds, and I could immediately continue shooting. I did though notice the "no frame taken" where the mirror had rattled.

05-03-2018, 04:19 AM   #5
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The firmware didn’t stop it occurring, just detected it was happening and cut the power automatically 🙄
Yep, a fix, not a cure.
05-03-2018, 04:24 AM   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Yes, I have the latest K3II firmware (v1.10). I assumed that Pentax had solved the issue, certainly on later production runs of the K3II, but apparently not. As I said though, this version of the mirror runaway is much less bothersome than the locking up version of my K3.

---------- Post added 05-03-18 at 11:15 AM ----------

I don't think though that this is what happens on the K3II: power was not cut, the mirror stopped rattling after one or two seconds, and I could immediately continue shooting. I did though notice the "no frame taken" where the mirror had rattled.
Hopefully it won't happen often Chris. Keep us informed if you continue to have issues.
05-03-2018, 04:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Yep, a fix, not a cure.
So did anyone at all ever figure out the cause I wonder...
Pentax obviously did not, although I have not heard any stories of mirror runaway on the K1 or KP.

I suppose then, that it was somehow hardware related (shutter/mirror assembly, processor), and since the K3II uses identical hardware to the K3....
On the K3 it was really a problem though (on the K3II more an inconvenience), I remember needing a half hour to get the K3 back to proper functioning after a complete lockup following mirror runaway, fiddling with battery in and out, and powering on and off, and AF being off target. After I fully recharged the battery, it was back to normal, and shot without problems for a few months, when the mirror flop ocurred again.

Last edited by Chris Mak; 05-03-2018 at 04:47 AM.
05-03-2018, 04:41 AM   #8
Closed Account

So did anyone ever figured out the cause I wonder...
THEY will never tell........................................
05-03-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IIRC, it was thought to be related to new batteries in new cameras, and after a few charge cycles it went away. The latest firmware is advisable too.
05-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
IIRC, it was thought to be related to new batteries in new cameras, and after a few charge cycles it went away. The latest firmware is advisable too.
Then it would be a different issue than what I had with the K3. Good to know, thanks.

Chris
05-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Then it would be a different issue than what I had with the K3. Good to know, thanks.
That is correct...The K-3II does not suffer from the runaway mirror issue* found in some early copies of the K-3. In the case of the K-3, the official fix was a low-level re-flash of the mirror controller done under warranty for affected cameras. A firmware update was later issued that would detect and abort the current exposure if runaway occurred on a camera without the fix. At least that is what it is supposed to do. I have never read any reports from users who have experienced the aborted exposure.

Steve

(...has an early copy K-3, but has never had runaway mirror or a missed exposure...fingers crossed...)

* Not the same symptoms as mirror flap on the K-5 series and a few other models.
05-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll have to keep an ear out for this....so far so good though...
05-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have a K3 for aprox 2 years, and it happened to me once, a few months ago. I pressed the shutter button and the mirror flapped about 4 times. No picture was taken, and it did work right after. Never hapened before or after. I did not take it seriously because it was an isolated incident.
05-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have never read any reports from users who have experienced the aborted exposure.
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
I pressed the shutter button and the mirror flapped about 4 times. No picture was taken, and it did work right after.
Well, now I have! Was there a gap in the file numbering sequence?

Steve
05-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, now I have! Was there a gap in the file numbering sequence?

Steve
Probably not since the image wasn't written to the card. Just like if you delete the image during instant preview there is no number gap.