Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2018, 01:07 AM   #1

Pentax K-3 ii as a beginner camera?

Hello, so im looking for a camera that can do time lapses and video / vlogging while able to take high quality landscape & Astro.

I've been searching for cameras and I think the Pentax K-3 ii suits my needs for what I want to do.

Then the lenses what should I be looking for when doing astro , Landscapes and time lapses / vlogs.

And if there are any cameras that might be better let me know

Thanks guys

05-11-2018, 02:05 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

lots of friendly members eager to advise you on how to spend your money

may I suggest that while you wait for more responses, you go up to " Cameras " above and look at the " User Reviews " and the " In Depth Reviews " and take a look at the various Pentax cameras there

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-3 II Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-3 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

you can use the tool found there which allows you to compare cameras side by side

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-3+I...3=Pentax+K-500

by going to " Lenses " you can do also look at similar reviews for Pentax Lenses and Third Party Lenses as well

additionally these charts might be of help

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-11-2018 at 02:14 AM.
05-11-2018, 02:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Although the K3II is not considered "a beginner camera", if it has the features like astrotracer that you want and need, then itʻs a good choice. Although no longer the most expensive Pentax APS-C DSLR, it is still considered the flagship model. Note that the K3II is due for replacement, which will keep the price down, but make sure you wonʻt have "buyerʻs remorse" because in 6-9 months the replacement has better specs (and a higher price).

For lenses, a lot has to do with your budget and whether you prefer convenience or quality. For convenience while shooting landscapes and astro, Iʻd either go with an all in one zoom like the Pentax 16-85mm or a more specialized wide angle zooms like either the Pentax SMCP-DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL (IF) or Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM.

For the ultimate in quality, Iʻd go with prime lenses, but youʻre going to want to get at least 2-3 to cover your needs.
For wide angle, the Pentax HD DA 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited is a jewel. There are wider 10mm options with Samyang or Rokinon, so look at examples in magazines and online to see the focal length that matches your goals. To supplement the wide angle, Iʻd also get either a normal 35mm (thereʻs a cheap but fantastic plastic or the ultra sharp macro limited) or something a bit wider like the 21mm limited or something longer like the 43mm limited. All have their pros and cons in terms of price, quality, but mostly what focal length matches your style. If you get a 10mm, then the 21mm makes sense. If you go with the 15mm, then the 35mm or 43mm makes sense as a second lens.

On the long end, for some, a 50mm or 55mm is adequate if you go with the 10/21 combo, whereas the holy grail 77mm or more affordable 70mm makes sense with the 15/35 combo. The 100mm macro is also a top choice as is the 55-300mm zoom.

Other things to put on your list would be:
a) Battery grip and spare battery for long night exposure and longer video sessions.
b) Larger SDXC memory card for video.
c) Remote trigger for astro photography (not essential but helpful)
d) SOLID tripod for both landscapes/astro/but one with a video head for panning/tilting smoothly.
e) An external microphone like a Rode.
f) A lenspen and a rocket blower.

Sticker shock? Priceless!!!
05-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-70 has the fully articulating screen for Vloggin,bang for buck a better beginnner camera.Have a peek at the reviews.

05-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dxpand4 Quote
Hello, so im looking for a camera that can do time lapses and video / vlogging while able to take high quality landscape & Astro.

I've been searching for cameras and I think the Pentax K-3 ii suits my needs for what I want to do.

Then the lenses what should I be looking for when doing astro , Landscapes and time lapses / vlogs.

Thanks guys
I'd agree on the K-70.
Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

As for a versatile all-around lens with great image quality, the DA 16-85mm would be perfect:
HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I would add a sharp, fast manual focus prime for astro (such as the Samyang 16mm F2) and you'll be covered really well!
Third Party Lenses between 8mm and 24mm | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes the K3 II is not a beginner camera per say... However for what you are wanting to do I would recommend it.

For the money the K3 II is a bargain in the market.

Glass and lens selection is another huge choice. I tend to say the best walk around lenses are the 18-135 or the slightly better performing 16-85. Primes I don’t even know where to begin.
05-11-2018, 05:26 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

lenses

if there is no budget issues ( but when in real life are there Zero budget issues )

you might want to look at the " Limited " or " * " lenses

you could check out these threads but I advise you, it result in you getting in " trouble "

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com

BTW

Pentax offers many good lenses so you can be satisfied if you don't get a " limited " or " * " lens

05-11-2018, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That 15mm is probably ideal for wide timelapse and landscape work. Also consider the 21mm pancake for this.
Both should also be good for wide angle starscapes.

The K3II is a helluva camera. That said, the controls are very intuitive and if you have a basic photography background you'll be fine. You'll be able to learn everything you need. You will be doing a lot of Manual Mode work with this type of photography in the dark.

Last edited by TER-OR; 05-11-2018 at 05:54 AM.
05-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some good advice. I will share my 'take' based upon my experience.

My first dSLR was the K-7. The K-3ii is the latest iteration of the Top-end of the Pentax dSLR APS-C, and there is nothing wrong to consider it as your first dSLR. As noted, it might be replaced relatively soon and beware. In turn you are getting great price for an excellent, robust, versatile camera.

Among my lenses, a fabulous lens is the DA15mm Ltd. The lens is metallic, superb IQ, fast focusing: a true delight. I am no star gazer and I cannot comment on that aspect. On all other counts, the DA15mm is a 'must' lens.

In summary, I would recommend the K-3ii with the DA15mm. It seems a winning system for what you want to shoot and you will not regret your decision. (Hell I still shoot with my K-7 and still enjoy it at low ISO.)
05-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The K-3II will not vlog (that is your responsibility), but it can quite nicely do the other stuff. The K-70 is near the same price point at present and the articulating screen might help for selfie video, though I am not sure that it is any more beginner friendly except that it has scene modes and the intended market is other than "enthusiast". Build quality on the K-3II is better, but there is a weight penalty for the mag-alloy exterior. I own the K-3 (no astrotracer or pixel-shift, but has flash) and in green mode, it behaves like a point 'n shoot.

Forgot to add that the K-3II has the astrotracer/gps built-in.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-11-2018 at 10:20 AM.
05-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The K-3II will not vlog (that is your responsibility), but it can quite nicely do the other stuff. The K-70 is near the same price point at present and the articulating screen might help for selfie video, though I am not sure that it is any more beginner friendly except that it has scene modes and the intended market is other than "enthusiast". Build quality on the K-3II is better, but there is a weight penalty for the mag-alloy exterior. I own the K-3 (no astrotracer or pixel-shift, but has flash) and in green mode, it behaves like a point 'n shoot.

Forgot to add that the K-3II has the astrotracer/gps built-in.

Steve
the K 3 and K 3 II are very similar

big differences K 3 II has no on board flash but has built in GPS/Astortracker etc

K 3 has on board flash but no GPS

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

K 3 will most likely be cheaper on the " experienced " market

K 3 II may be available new in the box

however you can add this accessory to the K 3 to gain the same GPS/Astrotracker etc capability

Pentax O-GPS1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide - Introduction - In-Depth Articles
05-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #12

Original Poster

Thanks guys
BTW My Budget is around $1500 to $2000 NZD
05-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW My Budget is around $1500 to $2000 NZD
according to the web

nzd to usd converter - Bing

$2,000.00 NZD = $1,393.58 US

give or take

NZ

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...+Zealand&all=1

Australia

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...ustralia&all=1

if any one is looking for " experienced " equipment
06-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

over the past few months, i have been able to find used K3s on the marketplace here for around $400, someone stole my first K3, so I found another here for under $400, and this camera has only 250 clicks on it, it has basically sat unused in a bag for three years, it looks like it is fresh out of the box new. basically what I am trying to say, what ever you get, you can find it used at a fraction of the price new
06-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
over the past few months, i have been able to find used K3s on the marketplace here for around $400, someone stole my first K3, so I found another here for under $400, and this camera has only 250 clicks on it, it has basically sat unused in a bag for three years, it looks like it is fresh out of the box new. basically what I am trying to say, what ever you get, you can find it used at a fraction of the price new
And all the better to spend that extra cash on good glass & other accesories.