Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #1

Pentax D-LI90 battery caused problem with my K-3

I had an unusual and alarming experience while shooting a wedding a few weeks ago with my K-3. A few hours before the ceremony, I was shooting cake and detail shots in the reception room when I noticed the camera had changed the white balance to a custom setting that I wasn't using. I changed it back, but then I noticed it again switched WB settings to the custom. As I continued to shoot, suddenly the camera seemed to go into burst mode. When I checked the preview, I realized that the shutter hadn't actually fired and that mirror flap was apparently the cause of the startling noise. At this point I became pretty alarmed. Nothing like this had ever happened before with either of my Pentax DSLR's. I tried turning the camera off and back on, but the mirror flap occurred again. Then I remembered something. When I was charging all my batteries the day before, I noticed that one of them displayed as only partially charged when I put it in the camera and checked it. So I put it back on the charger. Even so, when I loaded it into the camera the morning of the wedding, it only registered as two-thirds full. So when I thought about this, I decided it may be a battery problem as opposed to a camera problem. I removed that battery and inserted my other one, then loaded my batter grip with lithium AA's as backup. From that point on, I had no problem, so I determined that this particular battery had become defective. It really isn't that old. I was surprised since my experience has been that genuine Pentax batteries last longer and are more reliable than third-party batteries. Was this a freak occurrence, or has this happened to other people? Pentax batteries are not cheap, so I hated to trash it, but I am afraid to attempt using it again. Thanks for any feedback!

05-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How old is the battery in question, and how much use has it seen?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mayberrygal Quote
, I realized that the shutter hadn't actually fired and that mirror flap was apparently the cause of the startling noise.
mirror flap - Search Results - PentaxForums.com
05-15-2018, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mayberrygal Quote
Was this a freak occurrence, or has this happened to other people? Pentax batteries are not cheap, so I hated to trash it, but I am afraid to attempt using it again.
The battery may well have been the cause of these problems. Other potential causes (no particular order):
  • For the WB: Inadvertent change of WB or custom image settings by heel of thumb or palm. I think all K-3/K-3II owners have had this happen at one time or another.
  • For the mirror: The famous, though not particularly common, runaway mirror* problem in early production (through late summer 2014) K-3 models. The symptom was non-stop mirror action that starts with a routine exposure with battery removal usually required to get it to stop. The fix required a trip to an authorized service center for a low-level re-flash of the mirror controller. The symptoms were addressed in firmware update v1.11 which added code to abort the current exposure should the runaway condition be detected.
  • Defective electronics
  • Physical damage
  • Water/moisture incursion
With any luck the problem is just a weak battery. If you do a firmware update, be sure a fully-charged, known-good battery is in the camera before attempting. If you want to rule out the runaway mirror problem, the camera manufacture date is included in the makernotes portion of the image file EXIF metadata. Bodies made after late summer 2014 had updated low-level firmware for the mirror controller.

Steve

05-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The battery may well have been the cause of these problems. Other potential causes (no particular order):
  • For the WB: Inadvertent change of WB or custom image settings by heel of thumb or palm. I think all K-3/K-3II owners have had this happen at one time or another.
  • For the mirror: The famous, though not particularly common, runaway mirror* problem in early production (through late summer 2014) K-3 models. The symptom was non-stop mirror action that starts with a routine exposure with battery removal usually required to get it to stop. The fix required a trip to an authorized service center for a low-level re-flash of the mirror controller. The symptoms were addressed in firmware update v1.11 which added code to abort the current exposure should the runaway condition be detected.
  • Defective electronics
  • Physical damage
  • Water/moisture incursion
With any luck the problem is just a weak battery. If you do a firmware update, be sure a fully-charged, known-good battery is in the camera before attempting. If you want to rule out the runaway mirror problem, the camera manufacture date is included in the makernotes portion of the image file EXIF metadata. Bodies made after late summer 2014 had updated low-level firmware for the mirror controller.

Steve
Steve, my K-3 currently is running v1.11 firmware. Thanks for the info.

---------- Post added 05-16-18 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How old is the battery in question, and how much use has it seen?
Adam, I am not sure of the age of this particular battery. The oldest it could be is three years, as it was three years ago last month that I bought the K-3. But it could be newer. I don't remember when I last bought a battery for the K-3. I don't have my batteries marked as to age (ought to do that from now on). The batteries only get sporadic use, as I don't use them on a daily basis and I only shoot weddings from time to time now.