Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

Comparing Post Processing: Canon 5D MkIII CR2 vs Pentax K-3 DNG

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare PP from a Pentax K-3 and from a Canon FF?
- I own a K-3, and borrowed a 5D Mk3 for an event just so I could use the 135 2.0L. Amazing lens.
- Now I'm in LR, and find that PPing a Canon file is closer to my experience PPing a JPEG from my Pentax.
- It seems that I get more control on Temp and Colors PPing my Pentax DPGs vs the Canon's CR2s.
- Maybe because there is more information from the Pentax files?
- Maybe because the camera has a greater dynamic range?
- This seems odd to me considering that the 5DMk3 is a FF, vs my K-3, a crop sensor.
Anyway, these are my thoughts on the matter. What are yours?

06-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
CDW
Veteran Member

Do a comparison of DR, S/N, Color Depth, etc., on DXOMark. You'll find the K3 is actually bettered by the Canon except in the ISO100-200 range where the K3 has superior DR. Are you comparing using embedded profiles when PP in LR, or are you using Adobe default profiles? Certainly you'll be able to lift shadow areas with less visible noise with the K3.
06-09-2018, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know a guy who has a 6D. He brackets everything he shoots...
06-10-2018, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by infra4801 Quote
Has anyone had an opportunity to compare PP from a Pentax K-3 and from a Canon FF?
- I own a K-3, and borrowed a 5D Mk3 for an event just so I could use the 135 2.0L. Amazing lens.
- Now I'm in LR, and find that PPing a Canon file is closer to my experience PPing a JPEG from my Pentax.
- It seems that I get more control on Temp and Colors PPing my Pentax DPGs vs the Canon's CR2s.
- Maybe because there is more information from the Pentax files?
- Maybe because the camera has a greater dynamic range?
- This seems odd to me considering that the 5DMk3 is a FF, vs my K-3, a crop sensor.
Anyway, these are my thoughts on the matter. What are yours?
Well you know how Pentax "cooks" their raw files........wink wink.

Larry

06-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Well you know how Pentax "cooks" their raw files........wink wink.

Larry
I don't think I get the joke...

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 09:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Certainly you'll be able to lift shadow areas with less visible noise with the K3.
That's something I've definitely noticed when lifting shadows from Canon files. For a brief second I considered the possibility of owning a Canon system... then I looked at the specs and reviews of the K-1. That's where my upgrade cash is going. K-1 for the win!
06-11-2018, 07:23 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by infra4801 Quote
I don't think I get the joke...

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 09:25 AM ----------

There are numerous posts in other sections of Pentax forum and other forums regarding the new accelerator chip Pentax is using in the KP and K-1 and how it "cooks" the raw files. All of it is hogwash, of course, but none the less folks post it and some believe it.

I'm with you on the K-3 shadow produced and being able to lift the in RAW development.

Larry
06-12-2018, 02:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sony sensors used in Pentax cameras are better than Canon sensors, although Canon has improved a lot over the years. The biggest difference is going to be dynamic range at low iso settings.
11-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 for the Win! we shoot with compensation -.07 it allows faster shutter rates/ more depth of field f stop etc etc- post processing anything in shadow gets lifted and you have not lost any highlights- just one of my secrets shooting with my K-3
the sensor in the K-3 always has given me better images than my friends shooting canon.(maybe its the person behind the lens?) aloha T

11-04-2019, 02:32 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Krusty Surfer Quote
K-3 for the Win! we shoot with compensation -.07 it allows faster shutter rates/ more depth of field f stop etc etc- post processing anything in shadow gets lifted and you have not lost any highlights- just one of my secrets shooting with my K-3
the sensor in the K-3 always has given me better images than my friends shooting canon.(maybe its the person behind the lens?) aloha T
That's a neat trick. I have noticed that my K-3 tends up slightly underexpose, anyway, which might be how I use the lightmeter and the metering modes or just that it's getting old. K-3 images are amazing, anyway, despite the aging sensor. And we are still rocking the sexy cool factor in 2019! :-)

Last edited by Excalibor; 11-04-2019 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Typos...
11-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
There are numerous posts in other sections of Pentax forum and other forums regarding the new accelerator chip Pentax is using in the KP and K-1 and how it "cooks" the raw files. All of it is hogwash, of course, but none the less folks post it and some believe it.

I'm with you on the K-3 shadow produced and being able to lift the in RAW development.

Larry
I can confirm this in KP.

High ISo JPG , is almost the best you can get in terms of "lifting shadows" because when you put DNG into LightRoom,

you can easily notice,

the DNG is not so liftable anymore, than your same JPG file... - specificaly when you have "Shadow Lift" Option to be on "Medium" or "Highest"
---

Interesting stuff is also - when you shoot the pic in reallyyy darker area, like some corner of the poor litted room,

your JPG can looks very well overlight. Not burned, but waaay to good litted...

Looking
into the JPG, and same corner of the room, can give you pretty much difference in colors, and brightness.

--
So the term Cooked - is quite correct.

Last edited by panonski; 11-05-2019 at 02:58 PM.