Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
SDHC cards maxed out at class 10, but speeds kept rising. The manufacturers adapted the "U" suffix (UHS). The higher the U number, that faster the faster the write speed. U1 is 10mb/s, U3 is 30mb/s. Most of those other speed numbers are referring only to read speed. U3 is regarded as the minimum speed necessary to record 4K video and while that is not the goal in this thread, it certainly isn't going to hurt writing stills to the dual cards either.

06-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
Hi suraswami! for this job I used this card (32GB version):

And using a watch I can say it is taking a 4 seconds for saving RAW + JPG in BOTH cards at the same time.

Reading the forum and other sources, I have realized that a Sandisk Pro Extreme 95MB/s could be of benefit for me as it has faster writing speeds.
I did a non-scientific test, 4 shots burst at RAW + JPEG, writing to 2 cards, took 7 to 8 secs to display the pic while it was still writing. I guess my cards are way slower, but works for my needs.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-3&c...=Pentax+K-1+II

According to the Camera comparison, memory card type the cameras can accept is SDXC (UHS-I Compatible) - does this mean it will not recognize UHS-3 or it will not take advantage of UHS-3 speeds?

Microcenter is having a sale on 128GB PNY SDHC UHS-3 type SD card for $39.99. Thought I will get one for upcoming vacation.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/449550/128GB_Elite_Performance_SDXC_Class...sh_Memory_Card

Last edited by suraswami; 06-13-2018 at 08:36 AM.
06-13-2018, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your camera will accept any of these cards but it will not be able to take advantage of UHS II card speeds because UHS II uses a different bus. No Pentax camera uses the UHS II bus. The 3 in a circle is a different speed category within the UHS I group and your camera will be able to use it and may benefit from the extra speed.
06-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just tested this on my K-3 and it takes about 2 seconds after the preview renders to write RAW+JPEG to card1+card2. Writing RAW to both takes about 2.5 seconds, and RAW+ to one card takes 2 seconds. RAW (single file) takes just under 2 seconds and JPEG (single file) is virtually instantaneous. Disabling instant preview may speed up the process, though it should be noted that JPEG rendering happens regardless of whether the image is displayed.
There is another setting that might affect the time to marshal and write the data to file. That is the whether to save RAW as part of instant review. When turned on, cached RAW data is available to be written to file when the original setting was for JPEG. Just where the cache resides and what resources are used to create and maintain make for interesting speculation.
menu --> Rec Mode 4 --> Instant Review --> Save RAW Data (default = on)
This is a feature that I have never used and my inclination at present is to turn it off.

Steve

06-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is another setting that might affect the time to marshal and write the data to file. That is the whether to save RAW as part of instant review. When turned on, cached RAW data is available to be written to file when the original setting was for JPEG. Just where the cache resides and what resources are used to create and maintain make for interesting speculation.
menu --> Rec Mode 4 --> Instant Review --> Save RAW Data (default = on)
This is a feature that I have never used and my inclination at present is to turn it off.

Steve
Hi Steve. Thank you very much. I had it turned off, but I have just enabled and tested it and didn't find any noticeable impact on saving times (1 DNG + JPG takes around 4 seconds, and three photos (DNG+JPG) taken in a row, take up to 7-8 seconds to be written to both cards).

I will look for good prices on those Sandisk Extreme Pro cards that have faster write speeds (U3) and will post my findings.

I really appreciate your help Steve. Keep the ideas coming please!

EDIT: I have just realized that -as you correctly said- the "Save RAW data" is for when shooting in JPG. The Raw data stays in the cache memory waiting to be saved. In my case, I'll have it disabled just in case the camera takes up unnecessary resources for this purpose.

Last edited by Amoon; 06-13-2018 at 05:22 PM.
06-13-2018, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
I really appreciate your help Steve. Keep the ideas coming please!

You are very welcome. People on this site are incredibly helpful and at one time I took advantage of other people's experience and insight as we all learned how to use our cameras. Now that I know a little more, it is only reasonable that I payback to the community a few of the blessings taken and maybe pay forward a bit too.

Steve
06-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
SDHC cards maxed out at class 10, but speeds kept rising. The manufacturers adapted the "U" suffix (UHS). The higher the U number, that faster the faster the write speed. U1 is 10mb/s, U3 is 30mb/s. Most of those other speed numbers are referring only to read speed. U3 is regarded as the minimum speed necessary to record 4K video and while that is not the goal in this thread, it certainly isn't going to hurt writing stills to the dual cards either.
Hi Jim! My next SD cards purchase will be a U3 card!

Thank you!