Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #1

Shooting in studio with K-3II

1) Last week a did an important photo shoot so I decided to use two 32gb cards for saving DNG + JPGs to both cards (Lexar Professional 633X). But I noticed that it was taking too long to save the images: after taking the image and showing me the Instant review Image, it took around 5 seconds to save the picture to both cards. Whereas if I use one card, it takes 2 seconds.

I don't use ISO NR, or Slow Shutter Speed NR either or any other in-camera correction settings.

So it seems that K-3ii doesn't have a dual SD card controller, right?

2) Other thing I'd like to know is if I can make my K-3II to ALWAYS show a picture taken vertically, rotated for horizontally view in the Instant Review Image. That is because I have the camera connected to a TV (via HDMI) and my clients would love to see the image already rotated. As it is now, if I shoot vertically, the photo is also shown vertically in the TV too and my clients -for some seconds- have to slant their heads to see it correctly/comfortably

If this is not possible, I will opt for not showing the Instant Review Image and after the camera finishes writing to both cards, I'll press the play button to show them the photos (already rotated via "Auto Image Rotation" in the Play menu).

3) At one point, around the fifth hour of a long 8 hours photo shoot, all of a sudden the camera went nuts and all pictures were overexposed like by 2 stops! It also -after pressing the shutter button-, began to make a very -high pitched- strange sound like it was in a super super fast Continuous Shooting Mode. I turned it off and on but nothing happened and the problem persisted. My settings were the same (1/180 and f/8), I double checked everything, even checked each one of the four strobes I was using. The problem stopped when I did a battery change (from Wasabbi to an OEM battery). So probably it was battery's fault...

At the end, I can say that the camera performed very well, clientes were happy! I found it easy to change settings on the fly. For now on, the wired remote control is a must for my job.
Also, I had to take some pictures using Live View and the Focus Peaking option was very very helpful for the job while manually focusing.

06-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
How fast are those cards? I use 64gb class 10 - U3 cards in my K-3, saving RAW (DNG) to one card and highest quality JPEG to the other. I've never had to wait for a write. This includes the times I bracket shoot.
06-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
2) Other thing I'd like to know is if I can make my K-3II to ALWAYS show a picture taken vertically, rotated for horizontally view in the Instant Review Image. That is because I have the camera connected to a TV (via HDMI) and my clients would love to see the image already rotated. As it is now, if I shoot vertically, the photo is also shown vertically in the TV too and my clients -for some seconds- have to slant their heads to see it correctly/comfortably
In the playback Menu, select LCD Display and turn off Auto Image Rotation.
06-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In case it is relevant to your situation, when a single image is displayed for edit, there is an option of rotating the image and saving it (page 69 of manual).

06-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So it seems that K-3ii doesn't have a dual SD card controller, right?
I just tested this on my K-3 and it takes about 2 seconds after the preview renders to write RAW+JPEG to card1+card2. Writing RAW to both takes about 2.5 seconds, and RAW+ to one card takes 2 seconds. RAW (single file) takes just under 2 seconds and JPEG (single file) is virtually instantaneous. Disabling instant preview may speed up the process, though it should be noted that JPEG rendering happens regardless of whether the image is displayed.

I am using 32GB class 10 U3 cards in both drives.

Question...How long has it been since you did an in-camera format of your cards?

It is difficult to determine whether the K-3/K-3II has a data bus capable of simultaneous writes, though it is high unlikely that the queue to write is other than FIFO. I vote for single channel.

I should also note that the write operation does not gate shutter operation on my camera.

Other thing I'd like to know is if I can make my K-3II to ALWAYS show a picture taken vertically, rotated for horizontally view in the Instant Review Image.
There is a setting on the playback menu to enable auto-rotation.

3) At one point, around the fifth hour of a long 8 hours photo shoot, all of a sudden the camera went nuts and all pictures were overexposed like by 2 stops! It also -after pressing the shutter button-, began to make a very -high pitched- strange sound like it was in a super super fast Continuous Shooting Mode. I turned it off and on but nothing happened and the problem persisted. My settings were the same (1/180 and f/8), I double checked everything, even checked each one of the four strobes I was using. The problem stopped when I did a battery change (from Wasabbi to an OEM battery). So probably it was battery's fault...
Time to retire the battery.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-12-2018 at 05:13 PM.
06-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 2 x Lexar Professional cards in my K3, Main is Gold and second is Platinum (lower speed). Writing RAW to Gold and Jpeg to Platinum, I didn't feel like it was slowing down.

Last Saturday when I was shooting at my son's concert, I did 4 shot bursts with RAW+Jpeg, didn't feel it was writing slow.

Probably have to do some testing with a stop watch.
06-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi. Both cards were Lexar Professional 633 x 32GB SDHC UHS-I/U1.

06-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Lexar Professional 633 cards have worked good for me in the K3 and K-1. I'm wondering if you were having battery voltage problems from the start?
06-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
In the playback Menu, select LCD Display and turn off Auto Image Rotation.
Hi Paul and thank you for your answer. By disabling Auto Image Rotation the photos I take vertically, are displayed incorrectly during playback. What I want is the opposite effect just after I take the photo and the "Instant Review" is shown

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 10:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
In case it is relevant to your situation, when a single image is displayed for edit, there is an option of rotating the image and saving it (page 69 of manual).
Thank you C_Jones. I never stumbled upon on this option before. It's interesting. Thank you. But my problem is with the image that is displayed immediately after the picture is taken. THAT picture is displayed "wrongly" when I shoot vertically.

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just tested this on my K-3 and it takes about 2 seconds after the preview renders to write RAW+JPEG to card1+card2. Writing RAW to both takes about 2.5 seconds, and RAW+ to one card takes 2 seconds. RAW (single file) takes just under 2 seconds and JPEG (single file) is virtually instantaneous. Disabling instant preview may speed up the process, though it should be noted that JPEG rendering happens regardless of whether the image is displayed.

I am using 32GB class 10 U3 cards in both drives.
I was using two Lexar 633x 32GB Class 10 U1 cards. U3 should improve writing speeds.

Question...How long has it been since you did an in-camera format of your cards?
I formatted them in my laptop with SD Formatter (+ in camera format) a couple of weeks ago, just before a job. And for this late job I just formatted in camera.

It is difficult to determine whether the K-3/K-3II has a data bus capable of simultaneous writes, though it is high unlikely that the queue to write is other than FIFO. I vote for single channel.
I agree.

There is a setting on the playback menu to enable auto-rotation.
My problem is not during playback but with the image that is displayed immediately AFTER taking the photo. If I take the photo vertically, it is also displayed vertically in my TV set forcing my clients to turn their heads to see it correctly

Time to retire the battery.
Yes Steve... I will. I have also already ordered a K-AC132 (Alternative chinese version) as I usually have long photo sessions. BUT using a TV makes each battery last around 2 1/2 hours.

Thank you!

Last edited by Amoon; 06-12-2018 at 08:16 PM.
06-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
I have 2 x Lexar Professional cards in my K3, Main is Gold and second is Platinum (lower speed). Writing RAW to Gold and Jpeg to Platinum, I didn't feel like it was slowing down.

Last Saturday when I was shooting at my son's concert, I did 4 shot bursts with RAW+Jpeg, didn't feel it was writing slow.

Probably have to do some testing with a stop watch.
Hi suraswami! for this job I used this card (32GB version):

And using a watch I can say it is taking a 4 seconds for saving RAW + JPG in BOTH cards at the same time.

Reading the forum and other sources, I have realized that a Sandisk Pro Extreme 95MB/s could be of benefit for me as it has faster writing speeds.
06-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My problem is not during playback but with the image that is displayed immediately AFTER taking the photo. If I take the photo vertically, it is also displayed vertically in my TV set forcing my clients to turn their heads to see it correctly
I did some testing with my K-3 in regards to image rotation and feature settings and was able to confirm why I have it disabled and what the behavior for instant preview is for your use case. I don't believe there is a workaround for your camera that allows rotation rules for instant review short of tethered operation and options for such with the K-3II are limited at present.

Preview images display the frame as captured with long axis following the long axis of the monitor. Sorry for the earlier confusion.

Steve
06-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The Lexar Professional 633 cards have worked good for me in the K3 and K-1. I'm wondering if you were having battery voltage problems from the start?
Hi! No. The problem (rattling and overexposing) began with the Wasabbi battery around the fifth hour of work.

---------- Post added 06-13-18 at 12:02 AM ----------

I did some testing with my K-3 in regards to image rotation and feature settings and was able to confirm why I have it disabled and what the behavior for instant preview is for your use case. I don't believe there is a workaround for your camera that allows rotation rules for instant review short of tethered operation and options for such with the K-3II are limited at present.

Preview images display the frame as captured with long axis following the long axis of the monitor. Sorry for the earlier confusion.

Steve
Thank you very much Steve. No need to apology! Your statement confirms that I'll have to disable the Instant Preview and press the Playblack button after the image/images have been saved to the SD cards. Thanks again!

And thanks to all for your kind help. I've taken a couple of tips!

Last edited by Amoon; 06-12-2018 at 10:25 PM.
06-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you very much Steve. No need to apology! Your statement confirms that I'll have to disable the Instant Preview and press the Playblack button after the image/images have been saved to the SD cards. Thanks again!
Playback has a slideshow feature that might be useful.

Steve
06-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #14

Original Poster
Playback has a slideshow feature that might be useful.

Steve
Yeah thanks! something I could consider using probably at the end of the photo session! why not?
06-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi suraswami! for this job I used this card (32GB version):

And using a watch I can say it is taking a 4 seconds for saving RAW + JPG in BOTH cards at the same time.

Reading the forum and other sources, I have realized that a Sandisk Pro Extreme 95MB/s could be of benefit for me as it has faster writing speeds.
I just checked the cards, Main is Professional Gold SDHC(10) 400x and Second one is Platinum SDHC(10) 200x. Both are 32GB cards.

I am not a pro, just a parent who likes to take pics of family and friends.