Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2018, 07:22 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax k-3 and Sigma 70-200 live view

Hi folks.

I recently purchased an used K-3 silver, and having some issues with mine Sigma macro 70-200 HSM II.

I'm a seasoned photographer and had extensively used that lens with a Pentax K-5II in photojournalism, with no problem whatsoever.

But with K-3 In live view, the camera won't focus precisely. The camera does AF, everything appears sharp in the monitor before the capture, but the picture is blured.
Focus in phase detect is fine. Just the live view is having issues.
One thing I did noticed, however, is that the lens/camera does stop down to search for focus. This is a different behavior from the K-5II i have, wich focus fine in live view.

Is there some thing I can do? Adjustment, configuration, service?

Thank's guys.

Last edited by sungibr; 06-18-2018 at 09:33 AM.
06-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your lens probably needs a firmware update- and this can be done only in service centre. This problem seems common with first generation of this lens(the one with rubber mesh finnish) but also with later model early production runs. You should also check if your camera firmware is up to date.
06-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Your lens probably needs a firmware update- and this can be done only in service centre. This problem seems common with first generation of this lens(the one with rubber mesh finnish) but also with later model early production runs. You should also check if your camera firmware is up to date.
Thank you for you reply.

Firmware on camera is up to date.

As for the lens, I send it for a checkup earlier in this year, but the service I send, wich is the only one trustable pentax service here in Brazil (!), said they didn't have the equipment to do the firmware update, as the lens also need some AF fine tuning. So no solution here.

Is there any other thing I could try?

On a plus note, I DO REALLY MISS the feature "Disable Shutter button half press (only in Live View). It was a VERY, VERY handfull feature on K-5 that I used a LOT and could help here. Why on earth Ricoh ripped it off from K-3 UP?
06-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi there, it should be made by Sigma's authorized service centre. Unfortunately there is none in Brazil. World network | About SIGMA | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION Maybe try to contact closest one to your location.

Only thing I can think of is finding the newer produced lens and flashing the firmware over the debug menu-still its risky, and kinda problematic. Firmware also contains the autofocus calibration data- and whats working on one lens, might not be good on the other. Best way is to provide camera and lens to authorized centre, and let them pair the stuff for best results.

06-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi sungibr

It must be a problem with the firmware, my SIGMA 70-200HSM II has the latest firmware and AF in Live view on the KP is reliable and fast.
06-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi there, it should be made by Sigma's authorized service centre. Unfortunately there is none in Brazil. World network | About SIGMA | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION Maybe try to contact closest one to your location.
That's a shame. Really. Even considering the other mounts, not having an Sigma authorized service centre is a bad thing for photographers here, in general.

Only thing I can think of is finding the newer produced lens and flashing the firmware over the debug menu-still its risky, and kinda problematic. Firmware also contains the autofocus calibration data- and whats working on one lens, might not be good on the other. Best way is to provide camera and lens to authorized centre, and let them pair the stuff for best results.
Don't even want to think of it. I won't risk bricking mine lens. At least It works with phase af so, far away from unusable.

---------- Post added 06-18-18 at 04:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Hi sungibr

It must be a problem with the firmware, my SIGMA 70-200HSM II has the latest firmware and AF in Live view on the KP is reliable and fast.

I see.

It seens ood to me, that the lens need a firmware update to properly work on k-3 and up. On older bodies, it works. Why wouldn't work with newer ones?
06-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a cheap Sigma consumer zoom, which I used with no issues on a K100Ds, and then on a K30.
When I tried it on a K-01 (CDAF) it wouldn't focus.
Remember that Sigma is forced to reverse-engineer the focus algorithms, so it could be that they are not always perfect.

06-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

That is not the case. All lenses with stepper motor have embedded drive controller with eprom. Lately I had resurrected an unusable/missfocusing on KP DA*16-50/2.8 with firmware extracted from new copy. And that is OEM lens-it works brilliant now. Almost all modern lenses have some firmware issues most of us is not aware of and they are those are addressed by updates. Sigma and Tamron got their vision and decided that it is better to provide final user the tool and get payed for it, than provide service around the globe and loose cash on logistics for something that takes 10 seconds and USB cord.