Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2018, 06:05 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More Wired shutter release adventures!

I got my new wired shutter release in yesterday. It can be used two ways wired direct from the hand unit or the hand unit can also function as a radio trigger to a receive that mounts on the hot shoe and is wired to the wired trigger socket. When I first plugged the unit in direct, no A/F on half press. I thought, well here we go again, then I started changing modes and voila in the green mode it worked like a charm. Hmmmm, what I found was that in green mode (which I never use) everything reverts to "dummy mode" even back to AF1. I decided to set up a user mode for the wired shutter release half press to function to autofocus (AF1)when needed. In all other modes on full press of the hand unit the shutter will release either wirelessly or wired direct but it will not autofocus.

So all in all I am very satisfied with the new wireless/wired shutter release. The unit supposedly has an 80 meter range, We'll see about that.

Now for the big question. Has something changed in the last series of firmware updates to cause the K-3 to require AF1 for wired shutter release half press or has it always been that way. I'm old now so my memory may be a bit foggy about all of this.

Larry

07-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the K50 and never used the K3. I'm also trying to learn to use back button focus with shutter release button focus disabled. I was using my wired cable release for the fireworks on Canada Day and when setting up and doing test shots I noticed that focusing from the cable no longer worked for me either (and it previously did). Shutter release through the cable seemed to work, but not quite as reliably - but maybe that was me being out of practice. I assumed at the time that disabling focus from the shutter release had also disabled it through the remote port and only the back button (or manual focus) would work, but I haven't tested that theory.
07-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
I have the K50 and never used the K3. I'm also trying to learn to use back button focus with shutter release button focus disabled. I was using my wired cable release for the fireworks on Canada Day and when setting up and doing test shots I noticed that focusing from the cable no longer worked for me either (and it previously did). Shutter release through the cable seemed to work, but not quite as reliably - but maybe that was me being out of practice. I assumed at the time that disabling focus from the shutter release had also disabled it through the remote port and only the back button (or manual focus) would work, but I haven't tested that theory.
I use back button focus all the time, I've developed a fondness for it. You are correct, it seems, that when using the camera set up for back button it does change the way the wired shutter release functions by disabling the wired shutter release half press to focus. I've got that little problem handled with a user mode set up for that. My new wired cable release releases quickly on remote button press but my older one would have a bit of delay for some reason. I had a problem with the fireworks shooting, I'm usually far enough away from the fireworks that I can set up for infinity focus by turning the focus ring to infinity and backing the focus ring back to a slightly closer setting but with the 55-300 PLM lens there are no marks on the focus ring. I just focused on a distant object and hoped for the best, things worked out OK. Luckily fireworks aren't a big focus challenge.

I think my confusion stems from before the time I started using the back button exclusively.