Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wired shutter release problem

Maybe some of my fellow K-3 shooters can refresh my memory. I have a "cheap" wired shutter release and intervalometer. According to the device manual its supposed to have a half press feature like the camera shutter release that can activate autofocus on my K-3 and then release the shutter. I remember that it actually did that when I first got and used it but for some reason it will only release the shutter now and only when the camera is in AF2 Back button focus activated.

I just reset my K-3 because of some other issues, I'm wondering if I missed something in inputting my former camera setting. As I recall, when I first used the wired release all I needed to do was plug it in and it would half press and the autofocus would activate and a full press would fire the shutter (this was prior the me using back button focus). Now I just get a shutter release and only in back button focus mode. In AF1 the wired release will send some sort of signal to the camera and the Rear LCD will go dark until the remote button is released.

Any Ideas??

07-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is your shutter button still setup for half press? When it does work even halfway is it in back button exclusively or is the shutter enabled for focus also.
07-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is your shutter button still setup for half press? When it does work even halfway is it in back button exclusively or is the shutter enabled for focus also.
Right now the shutter button is setup for Back Button focus with shutter button for shutter only. When it does work it only works with back button focus(AF2). Before I started using back button focus a couple of years ago if I remember correctly it wound work with either setting and also work for half press focus in(AF1 full shutter button function). My daughter has my K-50 I'm going to test the device on the K-50 ASAP, it may just need replacing.
07-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
there is a point in custom setting (nr. 19) AF function when using remote controll (my setting is in german so I am not sure how exactly it is called for you)
You have to activate AF for wired shutter controll there

07-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
there is a point in custom setting (nr. 19) AF function when using remote controll (my setting is in german so I am not sure how exactly it is called for you)
You have to activate AF for wired shutter controll there
Thanks but that setting pertains to the wireless remote trigger and whether it is allowed to autofocus on half press of the button. Pg 49 of the manual. My K-3 is already set to allow that function.
07-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, I just tried my wired remote trigger.
I just list whatever setting might have anything to do with it. I set my button settings to "AF1 AF1 activate"
Point 15 in the general settings (AF.S setting) is at 1 focus priority
19. AF funktion for remote is actually off so you are right, it has nothing to do with it
I can't think of any other relevant setting so maybe your remote is really faulty
07-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, I just tried my wired remote trigger.
I just list whatever setting might have anything to do with it. I set my button settings to "AF1 AF1 activate"
Point 15 in the general settings (AF.S setting) is at 1 focus priority
19. AF funktion for remote is actually off so you are right, it has nothing to do with it
I can't think of any other relevant setting so maybe your remote is really faulty
So I take it yours did work in AF1? I'm thinking thats the problem. I'll know for sure when I try it on the K-50 my daughter has.

07-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So I take it yours did work in AF1? I'm thinking thats the problem. I'll know for sure when I try it on the K-50 my daughter has.
It did, yes. Good Luck, hopefully nothing wrong with the camera.
07-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It did, yes. Good Luck, hopefully nothing wrong with the camera.
Thanks, Its probably the cheap wired remote.
07-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Try pressing down on the plug of the remote where it is inserted into the camera and see what happens. If it works then, then means that the wired remote works, but the base of the plug of the wired remote (the plastic base of the plug) needs to be sanded down with a nail file or something similar so that the plug will go further into the camera when you insert it normally.

That is what I had to do with the Vello Wired Remote that I use. The settings on the camera have nothing to do with the wired remote. It works if you plug it in and it is making contact.
07-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Try pressing down on the plug of the remote where it is inserted into the camera and see what happens. If it works then, then means that the wired remote works, but the base of the plug of the wired remote (the plastic base of the plug) needs to be sanded down with a nail file or something similar so that the plug will go further into the camera when you insert it normally.

That is what I had to do with the Vello Wired Remote that I use. The settings on the camera have nothing to do with the wired remote. It works if you plug it in and it is making contact.
Thanks,

I thought all it needed was just plugging in, I seated it all the way, which it was doing already. The wired shutter release has some sort of problem internally. I tried it on my K-50 which I have loaned to my daughter and it does what it does on mine. It just triggers the shutter, the half press of the wired shutter release does nothing. It was a cheapie so I'll just order another one.
07-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks,

I thought all it needed was just plugging in, I seated it all the way, which it was doing already. The wired shutter release has some sort of problem internally. I tried it on my K-50 which I have loaned to my daughter and it does what it does on mine. It just triggers the shutter, the half press of the wired shutter release does nothing. It was a cheapie so I'll just order another one.
Good luck.
07-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The wired shutter release has some sort of problem internally.
Agreed. When the AF button on the K-3 is set to AF2, half-press on either the shutter release or a wired remote should wake up the camera's meter, top-LCD backlight, viewfinder display, and any systems other than AF that may be "sleeping".

Steve
07-05-2018, 05:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed. When the AF button on the K-3 is set to AF2, half-press on either the shutter release or a wired remote should wake up the camera's meter, top-LCD backlight, viewfinder display, and any systems other than AF that may be "sleeping".

Steve
Steve,

Mine does all of that along with releasing the shutter which it shouldn't do till I fully press the button. It also does the exact thing in AF1 along with no auto focus which it should do on half press. So I have a new one on the way

Larry
07-05-2018, 05:11 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Steve,

Mine does all of that along with releasing the shutter which it shouldn't do till I fully press the button. It also does the exact thing in AF1 along with no auto focus which it should do on half press. So I have a new one on the way

Larry