Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA* 300mm with 2x manual teleconverter

Hi, I have a K3ii and a Pentax 300mm lens. How do I adjust stop with a 2x manual converter?

Thanks in advance.

Tuggie76

07-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hmm, maybe you could provide us with a little information about the lens and the converter?

My hunch is that you will need to use manual settings with the green button.
07-13-2018, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Hi, I have a K3ii and a Pentax 300mm lens. How do I adjust stop with a 2x manual converter?
Assuming you're talking about the DA 300mm...and you're talking about adjusting the aperture...then, since it doesn't have an aperture ring, you can't.
07-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manual converter= manual lens. The way I use my M42s is aperture priority and the camera sets the shutter speed. I don't remember any changes in the settings specific to this. Another option is manual mode, focus then green button. you need to change the manual mode green button preferences in e dial programming to TV shift and turn off auto iso. I have not had much success with manual and always use Av. Even then I often need to apply exposure compensation, which is all part of the fun

Oh, just read victors post lol. Anyway, that's how you do it when you have an aperture ring

07-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for the advice, I set it on av then the exposure was correct, but I have to use whatever f stop is base level, I guess. By the way it is the DA300mm.

I have a Cardinal that comes to the feeder about now, I'm hoping to get a close up, but he probably has the night off, knowing my luck!
07-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote

Thanks in advance.

Tuggie76
I believe the lens will always shoot at its minimum aperture in that case. You could, however, remove the aperture linkage from the TC and then just shoot wide-open in Av mode.

For full compatibility you'd want the Pentax DA 1.4x TC. For proper exposure support, you'd need at least an A-type converter such as the Tamron 1.4x, or Pentax's own.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have the converter from my film days and was trying to use it with the 300, unfortunately no birds at the feeder yet so I can't check the result. Meanwhile I'll save my pennies for the converter.

07-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I have a TC stashed away with my Super Program because I mostly shoot transparency film. What you shoot is what you get. With my K-3, I've never bothered with a TC. With few exceptions I do exactly what I did when I had a wet darkroom - I work with a RAW image crop. Unless I am doing extreme cropping or print enlargement, the K-3 has plenty enough resolution to toss away some pixels. At any rate, the result is never any worse than the loss of IQ from TC use.
07-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I have a TC stashed away with my Super Program because I mostly shoot transparency film. What you shoot is what you get. With my K-3, I've never bothered with a TC. With few exceptions I do exactly what I did when I had a wet darkroom - I work with a RAW image crop. Unless I am doing extreme cropping or print enlargement, the K-3 has plenty enough resolution to toss away some pixels. At any rate, the result is never any worse than the loss of IQ from TC use.
You must have really bad TC. The loss of resolution over the whole frame from the Pentax TC is 3%, the increase in magnification is 40%. The increase in resolution can be up to 37%

It amazes me that someone would think using a TC is the same as enlarging. The only case where that is always true is when you are using cheap lenses or cheap TCs. With DA* quality glass and the HD DA 1.4 TC the increase in resolution can be substantial, as explained below.

This is one of those whacked out conspiracy theories where camera companies are selling TCs that don't do anything just to take our money. Next lets discuss what happened at Roswell.

Understanding folks saying a TC doesn't ad more detail. - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by normhead; 07-15-2018 at 05:38 PM.