Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2018, 09:38 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by plock Quote
I just looked at a K-3 that looked to be ln almost brand new condition,very clean.It does have an issue though,it does not save the date and time when the battery is removed.The price of the camera is $320 with a 2 week return for any reason policy and a limited 180 day warranty.Does anyone have any knowledge of this particular issue and what are your thoughts on the deal?
I have one this camera is good and your deal price is good...

07-31-2018, 09:45 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
16-45 is good, but it has a reputation for weak build and wobbly lens when extended. The 35-70 has a following, just remember that it will be more of a normal to short Tele than the wide to barely Tele it was on film due to crop. I really like the 17-70 if you find one cheap and working. (Sdm issues hurt this lens)
SDM?Is that an autofocus issue?
08-01-2018, 06:59 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDM?Is that an autofocus issue?
SDM is a type of autofocus system that the earlier implementations of at Pentax were prone to failure. The issue is so bad that the 17-70 was one of the lenses people avoided. I have a niece using one that I bought her exclusively (her only lens) on a KS2 and she's never had a bit of trouble. So there are success stories but there are enough people who have had problems that the lens prices are depressed from what they would be otherwise. If the SDM fails the cost to replace it with another used one is often cheaper than repair.
08-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. I have ordered a K-3 (E condition) from Adorama for a little under $400 and 2 lenses from KEH everything should be here on Weds.

08-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the help. I have ordered a K-3 (E condition) from Adorama for a little under $400 and 2 lenses from KEH everything should be here on Weds.
I suspect you will be amazed. The K-3 is nothing short of extraordinary.
08-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I just looked at a K-3 that looked to be ln almost brand new condition,very clean.It does have an issue though,it does not save the date and time when the battery is removed.The price of the camera is $320 with a 2 week return for any reason policy and a limited 180 day warranty.Does anyone have any knowledge of this particular issue and what are your thoughts on the deal?
I have two cameras with this issue. One, I don't know it's history, the other was an Optio 90W that was immersed under an ATV trail and found in a puddle two months later, I eventually dried it out and everything works but the time and date. So my first suspicion is that it's had water internally. Add to that my K-3 was a pre-order and it's got 117,000 shutter actuations on it and it doesn't have that issue. So I'm really hesitant to suggest that this might be normal wear and tear. I've had mine as long as anybody, I've used it as much as anybody. So, thats two reasons for being suspicious. But, both my cameras with the issue are completely functional except for losing time and date during battery changes.

So, I've got information, but no conclusions. I suspicious as to why it's damaged but I'm also pretty confident the camera is going to work for you. $320, I'm kind of on the fence about that. The Opto W90 was damaged two winters ago and still works fine, except for the battery change thing. I see it as risk for sure, and I actually avoid using my two cameras with the issue. When I do use them I take a portable USB battery to recharge them in the field. As long as the battery isn't dead, you don't lose anything. I'm guessing buying the battery grip would completely solve the issue, but i don't know for sure. I'd certainly make an offer for it.