Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #1

New K-3 owner looking for tips

My second hand K-3 has arrived from Adorama and I am waiting on the FedEx man for the lenses.Any advice on what I should look for to check that the camera is in good working condition?The body and screens are free of any dings and scratches,the camera looks to be super clean.

08-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. It would probably be good to check the following:
  1. All dials and switches for correct functionality.
  2. If menus and screens generall displays correctly.
  3. All caps and covers appear to be correctly closed and tight.
  4. Battery is fully charged.
  5. Firmware is up to date.
  6. As soon as you get those lenses, take some test shots!

Enjoy your "new" camera!
08-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check that the pop up flash works and then locks down. My new K-1 broke the first few times I used it and would not lock back down. Been using two rubber bands ever since 🤗. Probably a two dollar part but very annoying.
08-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Make sure the battery/batteries are from Pentax. Some no name batteries cause runaway shutter when they get low.

08-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by plock Quote
My second hand K-3 has arrived from Adorama and I am waiting on the FedEx man for the lenses.Any advice on what I should look for to check that the camera is in good working condition?The body and screens are free of any dings and scratches,the camera looks to be super clean.
Battery, check it first.

My Pentax Battery that come with the K3 cause mirror flop problem even on full charge.

fully charge it and put your camera to test on Burst mode several time.
then at haft way charge, do the same on burst mode. if your K3 mirror does flop, Don't pannic, try it again with difference battery.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-07-2018 at 06:31 PM.
08-07-2018, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Make sure the battery/batteries are from Pentax. Some no name batteries cause runaway shutter when they get low.
Mirror flop can happen with any brand battery especially older ones that have had a lot of cycles even Pentax branded batteries.
08-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Mirror flop can happen with any brand battery especially older ones that have had a lot of cycles even Pentax branded batteries.
Ohhh. I've only experienced it with cheap aftermarket batteries. SO the battery doesn't matter at all then. Hmmm, Good idea to just check your batteries every so often then.

08-07-2018, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. I would start by doing a factory reset. This will give you a fresh start. Then I would run through every button and dial to make sure they function properly. Mainly check the 4 way controller and OK button. Then check the Liveview button to see if Liveview mode works, this button can get lodged out of place. Then the Green button, FX button on the front. Make sure both the front and rear dials are functioning properly. Check the battery and SD card doors for any damage. Make sure the cover for the grip is on the bottom of the camera. With the cover off there is direct access to the inner workings of the camera. Once you get your lenses test all autofocus functions. Make sure the camera is reading apeture correctly. If possible set the lens to f11 and take a photo of a clear blue sky. Check the image over at a 1:1 crop for any issues with the sensor such as hot spots or dead pixels. If you do not have the latest firmware update it.

A good start for settings can be found here Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews .

You can find reviews here and download manuals Pentax K-3 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications .

The latest K3 firmware update can be found here Pentax K-3 Firmware v1.40 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com .

The firmware update guide can be found here Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com .

Congratulations on your new to you camera. I have been buying from Adorama for 30 years. In that time I have only returned two things, both were super easy returns. One was a mislabeled lens and another was a lens with a sticky aperture.
08-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of helpful comments already.

I'd certainly be checking the sensor first. Without waiting for the lenses, you can check for spots by using the Dust Alert function (setup menu 4).

Have a good look at the lens mount to see whether it's bent (from dropping with a lens mounted). When the lenses come, check that each one mounts smoothly and securely, with no wobble, and that the screw-drive AF and contacts are working correctly.

Not much to worry about with a K-3 really. It's very well built. Enjoy it.
08-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

May I throw in one other thing to check......check and make sure the shutter count is what was advertised
08-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

how to check shutter count:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

that is free

this has a little cost to it, but is worth it in my opinion

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com

consider making additional posts and going for the free K 1 or K 1 II if we meet the minimum number of posts in August:

The community must reach 45,000 posts each month
At that point, 3 threads will be created 8 hours apart, and the first 80 posters in each will get a raffle entry
Automatic raffle entry if you have 180+ posts
Raffle participants must have at least 10 forum posts in the month of the raffle
The winner is drawn at random, and we will ship a K-1 to the winner
If the community reaches 51,000 posts by the end of the month, the prize gets upgraded to a K-1 II

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/events/pentax-k-1-triple-giveaway-summ...#ixzz5Nvhy6eed
08-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome

how to check shutter count:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

that is free

this has a little cost to it, but is worth it in my opinion

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com

consider making additional posts and going for the free K 1 or K 1 II if we meet the minimum number of posts in August:

The community must reach 45,000 posts each month
At that point, 3 threads will be created 8 hours apart, and the first 80 posters in each will get a raffle entry
Automatic raffle entry if you have 180+ posts
Raffle participants must have at least 10 forum posts in the month of the raffle
The winner is drawn at random, and we will ship a K-1 to the winner
If the community reaches 51,000 posts by the end of the month, the prize gets upgraded to a K-1 II

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Triple Giveaway: Summer 2018 - Giveaways and Events | PentaxForums.com
I bought the Ebook for the K3 and am sure glad I did, lots of good info in it
08-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I had that problem once on my K-3II & Wasabi battery. The camera also took way too overexposed pictures. Weird.
11-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #14

K-3 is a great camera hope you Love yours!
11-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Press and hold the shutter button in several different angles and see if it sticks. My hands leave a lot of oil and it sometimes builds up at the shutter button, causing it to stick.