Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wait...Sensor Shifting in Live Mode is Normal?

I shifted to "live mode" when I was out hiking in a nature preserve today. Heard some clicking and clunking, which sounded like the mirror was loose. I removed the lens and turned on live mode. Nope, it's the sensor floating around. Is it this: Beginners question about noise (clunk) in a Pentax DSLR - PentaxForums.com or has my K-3 lost its marbles?

08-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This is 110% normal since at least the K-5.

Pentax live view does attempt to stabilize the image (if SR is enabled) but if the camera moves too much the sensor clunks around trying to recenter the sensor.

Last edited by photoptimist; 08-19-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: refined the answer
08-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

As far as i know:
1)The sensor is floating around free when the camera is turned off. (that's the clunk sound)
2)When it is turned on the sensor is hold in a stable position (nearly soundless)
3)When you half press shutter button or LV is on the sensor shifts because of SR (if activated) (some electrical mumbling and if you move too fast an occasional clunk )

Last edited by othar; 08-19-2018 at 04:24 PM.
08-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Is it this: Beginners question about noise (clunk) in a Pentax DSLR - PentaxForums.com or has my K-3 lost its marbles?
As noted in the link you shared, a certain amount of sound from the camera is normal, though my experience with the K-3 is that such is both rare and minimal. Is there a particular reason why you feel that your camera's sounds are indication of a problem or that the sound is coming from the SR system? It may not be related to your concern, but there is a normal sound associated with live view that comes from the aperture mechanism. It makes a faint scratchy buzz when the lens is pointed towards or away from a bright light source. The same noise happens on camera startup. Might that be what is concerning you?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-20-2018 at 08:43 AM.
08-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
This is 110% normal since at least the K-5.

Pentax live view does attempt to stabilize the image (if SR is enabled) but if the camera moves too much the sensor clunks around trying to recenter the sensor.
So, walking on a hilly path might cause the sensor to shift around? I know the problem doesn't happen when I'm using live view and the camera is still.

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted in the link you shared, a certain amount of sound from the camera is normal, though my experience with the K-3 is that such is both rare and minimal. Is there a particular reason why you feel that your camera's sounds are indication of a problem or that the sound is coming from the SR system? It may not be related to your concern, but there is a normal sound associated with live view that comes from the aperture mechanism. It makes a faint scratchy buzz when the lens is pointed towards or away from a bright light source. The same noise happens on camera startup. Might that be what is concerning you?

Steve
Definitely not a buzz. There's a "click" when I transfer from eye to live view, then if I move the camera around, there's a clicking, which turns out to be the sensor moving about as I move the camera.
08-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely not a buzz. There's a "click" when I transfer from eye to live view, then if I move the camera around, there's a clicking, which turns out to be the sensor moving about as I move the camera.
Do it again with the lens cap on and see if the "click" goes away.

Steve
08-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

So, walking on a hilly path might cause the sensor to shift around? I know the problem doesn't happen when I'm using live view and the camera is still.
Yes, the sensor can slide back-and-forth when not using live view. On the K-5 and K-1, the sensor even slides when the camera is on and even during a half-press. Sliding won't cause any damage unless you shake the camera violently.
08-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Do it again with the lens cap on and see if the "click" goes away.

Steve
No - still shifty.

08-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

No - still shifty.
Well, that is totally bizarre. Other possible causes for noise might be loose battery, an ill-fitting cover,* or ill-fitting panel, but none would be limited to live view. They would happen all the time, even with the camera off. What's more, SR noises are usually described as a soft clunk or soft whirring sound. I tried to reproduce the behavior, but with no luck

So...I went back to the original post for this thread:
  • Shifted to "live mode" when out hiking
  • Heard clicking and clunking
  • Thought it was loose mirror
  • Removed lens and turned on live view and determined the sound came from sensor movement
I repeated these steps on my K-3 and sure enough, there was a fair amount of clunking noise that happens in live view as the camera is shifted around. Whether the noise is noticeable depends partially on the heft of the lens mounted, the severity of jiggling the body is subjected to, whether SR is turned on, and the focal length of the lens mounted. Longer lenses resulted in more noise. Turning SR off resulted in much less noise than when SR is on.

The strange thing is that the camera was and continues to be relatively silent while listening seated on the couch after a fresh start. It only started being noisy after a bit of jostling. Despite having owned the K-3 for about 4 1/2 years, I had never noticed this behavior before, probably because I very seldom have the camera in live view while walking around and almost never use live view hand-held. The K10D that came before was quite good at clunking and perhaps with the relative quiet of the K-3, I simply was oblivious.

To the best of my knowledge, my K-3 is relatively healthy and not demon possessed. We can probably assume the noise is normal and if it bugs you, limit the amount of time that live view is actively turned on. A side effect might be increased battery life.

Steve

* Ever since it was new, my K-3 has had a slight clicking noise when the SD slot door is touched. Yes, it bugs me.
08-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, that is totally bizarre. Other possible causes for noise might be loose battery, an ill-fitting cover,* or ill-fitting panel, but none would be limited to live view. They would happen all the time, even with the camera off. What's more, SR noises are usually described as a soft clunk or soft whirring sound. I tried to reproduce the behavior, but with no luck

So...I went back to the original post for this thread:
  • Shifted to "live mode" when out hiking
  • Heard clicking and clunking
  • Thought it was loose mirror
  • Removed lens and turned on live view and determined the sound came from sensor movement
I repeated these steps on my K-3 and sure enough, there was a fair amount of clunking noise that happens in live view as the camera is shifted around. Whether the noise is noticeable depends partially on the heft of the lens mounted, the severity of jiggling the body is subjected to, whether SR is turned on, and the focal length of the lens mounted. Longer lenses resulted in more noise. Turning SR off resulted in much less noise than when SR is on.

The strange thing is that the camera was and continues to be relatively silent while listening seated on the couch after a fresh start. It only started being noisy after a bit of jostling. Despite having owned the K-3 for about 4 1/2 years, I had never noticed this behavior before, probably because I very seldom have the camera in live view while walking around and almost never use live view hand-held. The K10D that came before was quite good at clunking and perhaps with the relative quiet of the K-3, I simply was oblivious.

To the best of my knowledge, my K-3 is relatively healthy and not demon possessed. We can probably assume the noise is normal and if it bugs you, limit the amount of time that live view is actively turned on. A side effect might be increased battery life.

Steve

* Ever since it was new, my K-3 has had a slight clicking noise when the SD slot door is touched. Yes, it bugs me.
Steve,

THANK YOU for testing that. I consider my K-3 otherwise healthy. Glad to know it's not (likely) demon possessed, despite multiple levitations and devouring the neighbor's cats whole.

I tend to use the live view like a telescope viewfinder at night to locate objects in the sky, then switch back to viewfinder.

Thanks again, sir.