Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone using the Feiyutech a1000?

Hey all! I was wondering if anyone is using the Feiyutech a1000 gimbal with their Pentax camera.
If so, are you able to use the cable shutter release?

I guess the real question is - do different cameras use different cable shutter release wirings? It's supposed to be compatible with Sony, Canon, and Nikon.

Thanks!

08-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Never seen one before. It wouldn't be very practical for a DSLR and a long telephoto anyway...
08-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grampa Caligula Quote
Hey all! I was wondering if anyone is using the Feiyutech a1000 gimbal with their Pentax camera.
If so, are you able to use the cable shutter release?

I guess the real question is - do different cameras use different cable shutter release wirings? It's supposed to be compatible with Sony, Canon, and Nikon.

Thanks!
The specific Pentax matters. Many are Canon wired control compatible as I recall. But I think that changed in one or more new models.
08-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The answer is yes and that protocol/fitting may also vary across models within a brand. Pentax is consistent within its dSLR line* and shares compatibility with some Canon and Samsung models using three-pole 2.5mm TRS phone jack.

As noted above, the K-3 with lens and pano stuff may well exceed the 1kg weight limit of the Feiyutech a1000.

Steve

* The K-70 and KP use the same protocol as other Pentax dSLRs, but with a larger 3.5mm fitting.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-24-2018 at 11:29 AM.
08-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Never seen one before. It wouldn't be very practical for a DSLR and a long telephoto anyway...
Nope. Makes for some awesome video, though. it adds a buttery feel to video movement - no jittering if you can keep your hands steady.
It also serves in taking pano shots from a tripod - it will track along the x-axis while your camera takes shots at a set interval.

---------- Post added 08-24-2018 at 11:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The answer is yes and that protocol/fitting may also vary across models within a brand. Pentax is consistent within its dSLR line* and shares compatibility with some Canon and Samsung models using three-pole 2.5mm TRS phone jack.

Steve

* The K-70 and KP use the same protocol as other Pentax dSLRs, but with a larger 3.5mm fitting.
The K-3 II uses the 2.5mm fitting - I'm assuming it's a three pole jack inside there. The cable that comes with the gimbal has a 4 pole 3.5mm phone jack that fits into the gimbal directly so you can use the switch on the gimbal body.
I may have to give up on this one and stick with my IR remote.

I was worried about the weight, too - looks like the kit zoom lens and smaller primes keep the weight down enough.

Last edited by Grampa Caligula; 08-24-2018 at 11:36 AM.
08-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I was worried about the weight, too - looks like the kit zoom lens and smaller primes keep the weight down enough.
It depends how you plan to use the device. Parallax may be a concern even for interval work, in which case, there may be additional pano plates as part of the set up.

Steve
08-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #7

I'm looking at their website and seems like the included shutter cable is for Sony. Since it seems to use a 2.5 or 3.5mm jack on the gimble side, it's possible that simply getting an appropriate cable will get it to work with Pentax.

The whole bit about being compatible with Canon/Nikon seems to just indicate that those cameras will attach to the gimble, for search engine purposes.
08-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thank you Steve - I knew there were some differences but I wasn't sure precisely where they fell. Glad to know it is only in the physical connector.

08-27-2018, 05:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
I appreciate the help, all! I think I'm going to have to break out the multi-meter and see what can be cobbled together, though. I'll be sure to update this thread with my findings.