Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #1

K-3ii Overheating & Freezing Up

Last June I was taking a lot of photos using my K-3ii at World War 2 weekend in Reading, PA. It was in the upper 80s and I was out on the tarmac - where the air was probable much hotter. Anyway, that afternoon I was taking some photos of a young woman posing for me beside a B-27 - and the camera froze while processing the images. The camera body also felt quite hot to the touch. I found some shade out of the sun, but the camera wouldn't even turn off. After several minutes waiting, I shut it down by removing the battery. But I lost the images on the card.

It's been working okay since them, as has the card. I wonder if others have had similar experiences?

09-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Was it buffering when you thought it unresponsive? Since it was bright out, it may have been hard to see the sd led. I've had my k3ii freeze up once when shooting sports; it towards the end of a volleyball game, so similar to your experience it was warm to the touch after taking lots of photos for 30 or so minutes (26k or so shots in total since I've had the camera, imo that's very reliable). I've shot many games before and after that one with no other issue.
09-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #3

If it is working now fine then the failure it was mostly due to overheating. Black objects like a camera body will warm up rapidly in the sun. Even though you moved to a shady area there may not have been sufficient time for the internal temperature to drop enough to be within operating limits.

At least in video mode you will get an overheat warning on the LCD screen. Perhaps you did not see this with your eye to the viewfinder.

You may be able to recover some of the images from the card using a file recover tool like Photorec (my personal recommendation) or Recuva or similar products.