Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
very little of your editing (almost none) is done at full resolution
Actually, Steve has flicked on a lightbulb for me here...

To the OP: I wonder if you're looking at 100% reproduction and expecting it to look like a finely-detailed, noiseless image?

Whether you're looking at raw or JPEG files, 100% reproduction will look rather poor. Magnifying to this degree and examining on a monitor isn't a realistic way to view photos, and those taken with ANY digital camera will look rough. There are certain post-processing tasks that you might want to carry out with raw files at 100% magnification, but you need to judge the final photo at its intended size, and viewed from the intended distance...

09-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm gathering my expectation for razor sharp clarity is too high.

What is actual size of 100% reproduction?

I'd be grateful for monitor size/resolution suggestions.
09-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrEarle Quote
It is a 1:1, pixel-to-pixel mapping from the image to your screen. In print terms for the K-3II (assuming 200 dpi print resolution) that translates to a 20x30" print. In terms of screen real estate, the image is 6016x4000 pixels.

Steve
09-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is a 1:1, pixel-to-pixel mapping from the image to your screen. In print terms for the K-3II (assuming 200 dpi print resolution) that translates to a 20x30" print. In terms of screen real estate, the image is 6016x4000 pixels.
I will add to that, for the OP's benefit:

You wouldn't expect to view a 20x30" print from a distance of 12"; rather, you'd expect it to be hung on a wall, looking at it from a few feet distance.

When I'm processing images on my PC (a laptop with 17" screen, or desktop with 23" screen), I want them to look good when displayed such that the image fits the screen. Or, at most, magnified to 50% reproduction. That's just my personal preference, but I think it's a reasonable one...

09-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Presumably what you see will depend on your screen.

My screen is 16 inches wide by 10 inches high and 1440 x 900 pixels.
When a complete image (6000 x 4000) from my K-70 is displayed at full-screen size,
it is a 22.5% view (900/4000 = 22.5%), and it is 15 inches wide by 10 inches high.
Therefore, if I zoom in to 100%,
the view is just a small part of an image 66 inches wide by 44 inches high
(10 inches x 100/22.5 = 44 inches).

Philip
09-13-2018, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #21

After you have looked at a few hundred raw files at 100%, you will have a feel for what they should normally look like at that resolution.

The only time I zoom in to 100% is when I need to adjust sharpening and/or noise reduction settings. Most of my images don't need those adjustments. Sometimes those who examine their images at 100% are called "pixel-peepers" (or pixel peekers) as if that were a bad thing, but Adobe recommends sharpening be done at 100% and Lightroom shows a warning icon if you open the sharpening tool when the images is not at 100%.

But as I said, unless I suspect my image needs sharpening or noise reduction, there is no real reason to look at the pixels at 100%. But you do need to know what images normally look like at 100% or you may try to oversharpen them. When viewing images, I am much more tolerant of a little softness than I am of over sharpening. If I apply extra sharpening to an image I always check the effect at 50% to be sure it's not too much.
09-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But even so the OP should not be seeing graininess at 100% view in normal lighting conditions. Also a well focussed shot should appear sharp at 100%. His pictures in this thread both were taken in dark lighting conditions and so noise may be apparent. i still feel that it is the use of f22 has led to diffraction and that is the cause of his image appearing unsharp. i would like to see the original image if the OP can post it to a hosting site or dropbox.
09-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #23

hmm, I guess whatever I upload here is going to be resized, since I haven't resized them (intentionally)
[...]
Yes, whatever you post here will be resized *IF* the image you are posting is larger than what the site rules allow.

But only after looking at a full size (100%) sample from your images will other viewers be able to give informed advice. So, if you want to post something at full resolution (100% zoom, actual size), then the trick is to make a cropped selection which is small enough to not get resized by the forum software.

The <How to upload / link photos - BEGINNERS START HERE> page says:
" We recommend uploading photos no wider than 1280x800 pixels to avoid auto-scaling."
... so the pixel dimensions of your crop would need to be smaller than that.

09-15-2018, 02:15 AM   #24

It's a nice blue picture you haveshown. I like this blue and yellow.

In my opinion it's absolut normal to find some little grain in blue color at 100% zoom. Even at 100 ISO and with wide aperture also. Especially when the blue is dark, going to black. I guess, you find the grain in the edges of your picture. Blue tends to be grainy.

There's a simple solution for your problem: Enjoy your picture, don't look for this kind of grain.
09-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by siegbert Quote
It's a nice blue picture you haveshown. I like this blue and yellow.

In my opinion it's absolut normal to find some little grain in blue color at 100% zoom. Even at 100 ISO and with wide aperture also. Especially when the blue is dark, going to black. I guess, you find the grain in the edges of your picture. Blue tends to be grainy.

There's a simple solution for your problem: Enjoy your picture, don't look for this kind of grain.
Thank you for the compliment. I really just wanted to know if the ‘in camera’ processing is saved info in the raw format, and wanting to optimize the sharpness, if raw would produce a finer grain.