Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 02:45 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Elk Island National Park, Alberta, Canada

I visited Elk Island National Park in Alberta, latitude ~53 North. It was cool, but no snow yet. 0 C, 32 F over night. All four of these photos were taken with the K-3 and DA 55-300 (non WR).

2-3 month old calf, born much later than the rest of this year's calves. I was worried s/he wouldn't survive the winter, but the naturalists are confident s/he is healthy enough and will be fine.

For comparison, an adult in the foreground.

The night of my arrival, my daughter and son-in-law brought dinner, and we went for a walk afterward along the shore of Astotin Lake. As we walked away from the campground, we weren't overly impressed with the sunsets, but on the way back ...

I've tentatively identified this bird as a Greater Yellow Legs. I am waiting for confirmation from our Birding Group.

10-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lovely sunset.
10-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I was worried s/he wouldn't survive the winter, but the naturalists are confident s/he is healthy enough and will be fine.
I wonder if the herds at Elk Island N.P. are provided hay in the winter if the snow is too deep? Apparently there were problems with the bison introduced to Grasslands N.P., unlike the truly wild bison of the nineteenth century and before, they weren't accustomed to foraging under the snow, so park staff had to either provide feed or watch them starve to death. Nice pictures of the calf, by the way!
10-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful set of photos!

10-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice set; Elk Island is a great place so close to those of us in Edmonton.
10-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots of a beautiful area, Albert. The bill on your yellowlegs looks too long for a Lesser so I would go with a Greater Yellowlegs for that one. - Jack
10-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Lovely sunset.
Thank you. It was gorgeous. We had almost given up, and an hour after sunset ...
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I wonder if the herds at Elk Island N.P. are provided hay in the winter if the snow is too deep? Apparently there were problems with the bison introduced to Grasslands N.P., unlike the truly wild bison of the nineteenth century and before, they weren't accustomed to foraging under the snow, so park staff had to either provide feed or watch them starve to death. Nice pictures of the calf, by the way!
Elk Island is in a heavy snow area. I strongly suspect the bison are used to it. They are 4 degrees North of here, and we have about 4 inches of snow today.
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Beautiful set of photos!
Thanks, Paul
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Nice set; Elk Island is a great place so close to those of us in Edmonton.
I wish I were closer to me. It is close to 650 Km from here, a whole days drive, so out of the 3 days I could spare away from home, two were spent in a pickup truck with a 17 foot 5th wheel trailer on the back. Edmonton is 6 1/2 hours from here without the trailer. The speed with trailer is never over 100 km/h due to the parachute effect on fuel consumption.

10-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Great pictures! Having just driven from Niagara to Brandon, Manitoba I feel your pain, but the remoteness of these places is worth he visit. Here's a Bison from around there, he seems well equipped for winter though!

Last edited by tuggie76; 03-31-2019 at 07:56 AM.
10-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice Wood bison, tuggie. I didn't get to any of the Wood bison enclosure due to upgrade work going on. The trails were closed, so I got to spend a lot of time with the Plains bison instead.
10-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice Wood bison, tuggie. I didn't get to any of the Wood bison enclosure due to upgrade work going on. The trails were closed, so I got to spend a lot of time with the Plains bison instead.
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware there were different types, I just assumed he was a plain ole bison!

We don't get tooo many large wild animals down here, lots of squirrels though.
10-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Daacon used to post images taken there years ago. It's nice to see something recent. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by normhead; 10-02-2018 at 11:22 AM.
10-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware there were different types, I just assumed he was a plain ole bison!

We don't get tooo many large wild animals down here, lots of squirrels though.
The curly hair on the head of the Wood bison is the quickest way to see it. Also when you see them side by side, the Wood is quite a bit larger. Here's a Plains with the same calf, s/he may or may not be related. I didn't see the calf nurse during any of my visits that day, so I don't know who Mommy was.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 10-02-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Clarity
10-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shooting Albert!
10-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice shooting Albert!
Thank you; I'm building an album of the trip on PF. Watch for further posts.
10-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #15
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I visited Elk Island National Park in Alberta, latitude ~53 North. It was cool, but no snow yet. 0 C, 32 F over night. All four of these photos were taken with the K-3 and DA 55-300 (non WR).

2-3 month old calf, born much later than the rest of this year's calves. I was worried s/he wouldn't survive the winter, but the naturalists are confident s/he is healthy enough and will be fine.

For comparison, an adult in the foreground.

The night of my arrival, my daughter and son-in-law brought dinner, and we went for a walk afterward along the shore of Astotin Lake. As we walked away from the campground, we weren't overly impressed with the sunsets, but on the way back ...

I've tentatively identified this bird as a Greater Yellow Legs. I am waiting for confirmation from our Birding Group.
Nice work Albert.

The first of the calf, and the sunset especially.

How are the mosquitoes?