Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2018, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #31
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
From someone who doesn't do a lot of bird shooting.... Set the shutter speed using at least twice your focal length, set the aperture to f8 or f11 if you can, adjust ISO to match lighting conditions. Turn on manual focus, and activate the depth of field preview (on the camera on-off switch on the K-3 series) and aim at your predetermined target point. Find the range of acceptable focus, then set the lens in the middle.

I'm now able to ignore all the variables except composition at possibly the sacrifice of a bit more noise in my image.
IBIS helps a lot if the bird is not flying or hopping back and forth frantically. Sigma 120-400 @350mm F/8 1/500s, hand held, heavy crop. I normally get best results with this lens at F/9 but every lens is different in usage.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
11-12-2018, 11:33 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
After my complaint about kingfishers above, I seem to be getting somewhere at last. This was on a perch I have been keeping an eye on for the last couple of weeks. It's close to a trail and taken through a little gap in the vegetation.

11-12-2018, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I use single point in afc,
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
AFS, spot focus f8, 1/300+ and whatever iso you need to get that. .... practice & luck, the more you practice the more luck you have.
That's what I'd go with, having your camera mounted on a tripod makes a huge difference, It steadies camera movements that make it hard to lock focus. Your camera won't lock focus if the subject is darting all over the place in the viewfinder. This is especially important of lenses with no built in VR. IN VR lenses the lens can steady the camera while locking focus, making getting focus lock easier. I also use selective single point focus so I can adjust the focus point, depending on which way the bird is facing.

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
One other interesting item of note - a full frame sensor will have a greater DOF than a crop sensor.
Same Field of View APS-c 200 mm FF 300mm

Nikon D800, 300mm 10 feet, ƒ8 DoF" .15 feet

Nikon 7100 ,200mm 10 feet, ƒ8 DoF .23 feet

Nikon 7100 , 200mm feet, ƒ5.6 DoF .16 feet

Nikon 7100 300mm 10 feet, ƒ8 .1 feet

The only scenario in which that is true is the one where you shoot with the same lens from the same position, in which case you have a totally different image. For the same image, 200 APS-c and 300mm FF you get the same DoF for the FF ƒ8 as you get at 5.6 on APS-c.

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Often the APS-c image appears to be tighter cropped, and only needs to be cropped slightly. If you crop the FF image to the same field of view, less than the APS-c crop, you will have the same DoF for both cameras. The only way, FF comes out ahead is if you change what is required for the image.

Usually the APS-c provides more DoF for the same focal length than FF, because you've either changed lenses or moved back 50% to get your preferred framing.

When I set up in my blind, I set the APS-c camera to ƒ5.6, I set the full frame to ƒ8, that makes them roughly equivalent on DOF. If i can i set the APS-c to ƒ8 to get increased DoF if the shutter speed lets me. ON both diffraction starts to set in after ƒ8 and your shutter speed becomes way too slow. I don't think I've ever been able to use ƒ 11 on either (for birds) because the shutter speed becomes too slow.

One way to think of this is the smaller the size of your subject on the sensor, the more DoF you get. Anytime you get more DOF , it's because your subject is smaller in the frame and hence less resolution on the subject. Unless of course the subject fills the frame on the FF in which case you get a head shot with APS_c.

But oomparing 200mm APS-c to 300mm FF, the subjects are the same size in the frame, APS-c has more DoF.
300mm APS-c and FF, with the APS-c camera moved 50% backwards to achieve the same framing, the subject is the same size APS_c has more doF.

This is of course complicated by the different APS-c and FF MP counts and how much cropping needs to be done. Anyone shooting a K-3 and a K-1 knows, using the same lens from the same position, the K-3 is going to give you more subject resolution based on a higher pixel density.

That is the one thing no one wants to account for in these comparisons, the different pixel densities as sensors get smaller and the issue that a lens has to be much better to resolve subjects from a distance than it idoes closer up.

Last edited by normhead; 11-12-2018 at 03:22 PM.
12-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. So I've been pretty quite lately as the weather has been against birding, windy and or rainy with some snow as well. Today was overcast but found this Heron sitting contemplating life, K3ii, 300mm and 1.4 extender, 1/500 sec, f8 auto iso at 8,000. Not a great shot, but how do I deal with all the noise? Lightroom just looses detail and Dfine is not much better. Or should I just wait for a sunnier day? This is after Lightroom adjustments.

Tuggie76

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #35
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Thanks for all the input. So I've been pretty quite lately as the weather has been against birding, windy and or rainy with some snow as well. Today was overcast but found this Heron sitting contemplating life, K3ii, 300mm and 1.4 extender, 1/500 sec, f8 auto iso at 8,000. Not a great shot, but how do I deal with all the noise? Lightroom just looses detail and Dfine is not much better. Or should I just wait for a sunnier day? This is after Lightroom adjustments.

Tuggie76
It looks as if it is not actually focused on the heron. Are you using single point, single point select, or 9 or 27 points for focus? It looks to be focused on the dark line created by the log in the background.
12-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
It looks as if it is not actually focused on the heron. Are you using single point, single point select, or 9 or 27 points for focus? It looks to be focused on the dark line created by the log in the background.
You may be right about the focal point Geezer, I use single point select.

Tuggie76