Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Possible repair?

Less than hour ago I had a stupidity moment where I disconnected my K3II from a tripod without holding it with other hand. It just happened I was in a stupid hurry to do I don't know what. Fortunately the shooting and job was done. Camera fell lens first but at an angle. The lens snapped right at the mount yanking the screws from the rest of the lens. Camera works fine, no new noises, no weird behaviours etc. But before I wait for tomorrow and call the Sigma service center, what do you guys think, is this repairable?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
10-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Any thing is repairable. The question is, is the cost of the repair going to be more than what the lens is worth, and, would you pay that cost or just buy a new/used lens?

Myself, if I had the money, new/used lens. Chances are, the repair will be more than the lens is worth.
10-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Any thing is repairable. The question is, is the cost of the repair going to be more than what the lens is worth, and, would you pay that cost or just buy a new/used lens?

Myself, if I had the money, new/used lens. Chances are, the repair will be more than the lens is worth.

I understand.

Let me rephrase the question. Would this be any cheaper? There is no broken glass, mechanism works the same as before, only thing really broken (on first sight) are the screw holes. I understand that right now I don't know the real extent of the damage but hypothetically, if it were just that, could that repair be on the cheaper side?
10-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Send it in for an estimate. The service center will tell you if it is "beyond economical repair". If they feel otherwise they will give you an estimate and it's up to you whether to repair or replace.

10-29-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
I understand.

Let me rephrase the question. Would this be any cheaper? There is no broken glass, mechanism works the same as before, only thing really broken (on first sight) are the screw holes. I understand that right now I don't know the real extent of the damage but hypothetically, if it were just that, could that repair be on the cheaper side?
The part that has the screw holes in it will need to be replaced, is that a $10 part or a $110 part, I have no idea. I would lean to the more expensive side depending on how the board is mounted to it. Same can be said for the lens mount itself. If you look at the cable on the lens mount, it looks like it was ripped out of the connector that it goes to. If the lens mount is not bent and depending on how the board is mounted to the lens mount, it might be able to be reused. The cable though will need to be replaced.

I would suspect a minimum between three and four hundred for this repair. It could be more though. The best thing is send it in and then decide after you see what Sigma says.
10-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
I tried to put the lens together. And here is what I found out.

1. Flex cable that connects power terminals for motor has been ripped out toghether with connector. (cleanly and could be resoldered)

2. Flex cable that connects pins to the board is partly cut.

Other than that , the screws hold together ok, but I wouldn't trust them, they can be tightened pretty hard but the plastic thread is compromised for sure.

Lens does work and has a clean normal image but I can't control aperture and AF is non functioning because motor is not connected to the camera.

If the repair is going to be too expensive, i'll just buy a new one, and try to repair this one myself (not impossible).
10-30-2018, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

you have message from me - check your inbox
10-30-2018, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

A repair centre is going to want to replace the sub-chassis because of its ripped out screw holes. The flex connectors would need replacing too (although the one might get re-soldered successfully).

I can't tell which Sigma model you have there, but since Sigma replaces lens models pretty frequently (so there's always a "new improved" model on the shelf) it doesn't take long before parts run out for the discontinued models.

A talented repair shop can likely fix the plastic mount with some carefully applied high-tech epoxy, but the torn ribbon needs replacing.

01-03-2019, 04:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
Just an update.

Price of repair was €250 which is exactly half the price of the new lens. I tried to ask what parts were replaced, to se if the price was justified but I was stonewalled immediately. I would say that the actual repair was less but the store charged what ever they wanted.

At least I managed not to pay from my pocket as I some people owed me money for work

The good thing is that I have a warranty again for two more years.
01-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't know how it is in Croatia but the cost of labor for repairs in the US is often from 1 to 3 that of the parts. Depends on the parts and how much work is involved to replace them.