Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2018, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why I will buy a K-3 III

This is for Ricoh, simply improve the AFC on the K-3II and you will have a a pre-order from me. I have no other issues with the camera, it can do everything else that I need!

12-06-2018, 09:05 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect this thread will draw a few comments with all the other improvements some would like :-)
I don't think AF-C is the most important thing for me, I would rate improved ISO as my No1, but I guess AF-C isn't too far behind.
The probabilities are that both AF-C and ISO can and will be improved, and hence I'm also ready to give a pre-order!

Cheers,
Terry
12-06-2018, 09:18 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
This is for Ricoh, simply improve the AFC on the K-3II and you will have a a pre-order from me. I have no other issues with the camera, it can do everything else that I need!
It will need to leapfrog the KP, so there'll be a lot more to it than just AFC. There will be a new sensor and processor, high ISO will be much improved, perhaps we will see more AF points, ..., and maybe they'll finally get serious about video. Surely it will inherit the aperture bracketing from the KP as well. What else? Something to astound us, I think. Anti-alias simulation and pixel shift were the cutting edge innovations of recent years; next will be ...?
12-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m willing to bet we see some sort of new internal processing, something which handles the larger files faster, likely jumping the fps. More focus points is also something we could see.

For aps-c being able to leapfrog the KP in high ISO won’t be easy.

12-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wider AF point coverage would be great. If they could make it cover a greater area than the Nikon D850 they could have a class leading camera.

Better Af-c would be nice.

Finally how about an upgrade to video?

It's pretty much a given high ISO will be at least KP level.

Real innovation would be a hybrid viewfinder but thats a dream.
12-06-2018, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
HYS
Veteran Member

The only problem with my K-3 was the reluctant auto focus during my summer trip. Unfortunately I missed a lot of scenes. In spite of all I won't change my Pentax. It is very well build camera. So if an AF improvement is on the way I will consider a new buy.
12-06-2018, 10:44 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Simultaneous writes over dual pipelines to the storage cards.

Tilting screen.

WiFi

Kp or better iso noise performance

Li90 in main body

Ir remote front and rear

Big buffer

8.5fps or better

Top lcd

Additional control wheels like kp or k1

12-06-2018, 10:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Wider AF point coverage would be great.
Indeed! I have never understood why Pentax has been so parsimonious with AF coverage. I often want to focus way off-centre. It is easy enough to focus-and-recompose hand-held, but on a tripod it's a pain.
12-07-2018, 12:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like your statement that the K3-ii is a great camera with a lot of virtues. We often seem to prefer writing a wish list over counting (and nameing) our blessings.

In my eyes the K3-ii would only need a few improvements while I would like to keep most as-is on a K3-iii. The ergonomics. The way the controls work. The GPS.
12-07-2018, 01:32 AM   #10

I stick with Pentax as I cant afford to change too many lens flashes etc
12-07-2018, 03:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think there will be a K-3 III, I'm sure it will be called something else, it will be something else for sure, however it will assuredly be a master piece
12-07-2018, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

To me it seems a simple matter of putting in the sensor from the KP, adding the tilting screen mechanism from the K1 and sprinkling on some WiFi goodness. A touch screen would be the cherry on top. How about it, mister Ricoh?
12-07-2018, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think I will be buying the next APSC flagship regardless of what features it has as long as they can top my K-S2, which shouldn't be hard.

I'm looking for:

-Pixelshift
-14-bit RAW
-at least 24MP
-battery grip capable
-duo card slots
-faster burst/buffer
-better ergonomics
-faster AF
-KP/K70 noise control
-fully articulating screen

Last edited by FozzFoster; 12-08-2018 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added faster AF
12-07-2018, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The one thing I would like to see included would be a couple of minor tweaks in regards to astrophotography:
1. Finer control of the timed exposure when in astrotracer mode, give us 1 second increments instead of 10
2. A new drive mode available all the time, continuous shooting with 2 second mirror up delay.
12-07-2018, 11:09 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Figure if we're gong to see something in 2019, all of this is already determined. Hopefully we'll have a nice surprise this spring which will check most of the boxes.