Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2018, 01:36 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that the Ricoh GR III may be showing us a peak at the future. It has the accelerator card and 2GB of internal memory instead of the 30MB or whatever the GR II has. If they can put it in the GR they can put it in their DSLR lines. We may see some pretty awesome stuff next year. In any event I am saving up for some new toys next year. I would love it for Pentax to have a great 100th Anniversary Celebration.

12-07-2018, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
-fully articulating screen
yes I would prefer this to a tilt screen
12-08-2018, 12:57 AM   #18

Ok guys.. Here is my list
1. Better ISO performance
2. TETHERING capabilities!
3. Better AF-C focus performance
4. Better/fast autofocus in live view
5. An articulating screen would be great for studio work too.

Last edited by Amoon; 12-08-2018 at 12:58 AM. Reason: typos
12-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
Ok guys.. Here is my list
1. Better ISO performance
2. TETHERING capabilities!
3. Better AF-C focus performance
4. Better/fast autofocus in live view
5. An articulating screen would be great for studio work too.
I'll vote for No 3, and maybe No 4 - don't really care about the rest!

12-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
To me it seems a simple matter of putting in the sensor from the KP, adding the tilting screen mechanism from the K1 and sprinkling on some WiFi goodness. A touch screen would be the cherry on top. How about it, mister Ricoh?
I think the KP's tilting screen is just fine, and the KP also has WiFi - so touch screen is main improvement over the KP you're asking for. From what I've heard most users are more interested in larger buffer, dual card slots. top LCD, and K-3-type body.

Last edited by reh321; 12-09-2018 at 02:39 PM.
12-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
yes I would prefer this to a tilt screen
This depends on what kind of shots you take. Articulated screen is preferred mostly by those who shoot video, while tilting screen is preferred by those of us who shoot street scenes.
12-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I think that the Ricoh GR III may be showing us a peak at the future. It has the accelerator card and 2GB of internal memory instead of the 30MB or whatever the GR II has. If they can put it in the GR they can put it in their DSLR lines. We may see some pretty awesome stuff next year. In any event I am saving up for some new toys next year. I would love it for Pentax to have a great 100th Anniversary Celebration.
I'm not sure how the GRiii, which comes out next year, is a better peek at the future than the KP and K-1ii, which came out last year and this year respectively, are. Most of the stuff "new to GR" in the GRiii were pioneered two years ago by the K-70.

12-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I'll vote for No 3, and maybe No 4 - don't really care about the rest!
That's because I'm working in studio doing fashion and product photo and I need the most advanced features. They are present in K-1, so I should probably consider one in the future.

Last edited by Amoon; 12-09-2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
12-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
That's because I'm working in studio doing fashion and product photo and I need the most advanced features. They are present in K-1, so I should probably consider one in the future.
Yes, the K-1, now the K-1ii, was designed for that "domain" {type of work}. There is no reason for you to wait for a new camera that may or may not provide the functionality you want.
12-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, the K-1, now the K-1ii, was designed for that "domain" {type of work}. There is no reason for you to wait for a new camera that may or may not provide the functionality you want.
Yes sure. K-1II in studio should be superb! A couple of times a month I do horse racing and the 4fps of the K-1 holds me. My K-3II is almost 9fps and really excels.
Maybe it's time to have both bodies or wait a little for K-3III.. cheers!
12-09-2018, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just in time for the holidays...a wish list ;-)
12-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #27
Pentaxian

We may see some pretty awesome stuff next year. In any event I am saving up for some new toys next year. I would love it for Pentax to have a great 100th Anniversary Celebration.
I'm fairly certain Pentax will have some real 'surprises' next year - but I'm not sure what direction they're going to turn, and in any case I don't expect the presents to fit into my budget ..... which is why I finally surrendered and purchased a $700 KP - I don't necessarily expect to see that kind of product, and certainly nothing in that price range.
12-10-2018, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I don't care what they call this camera, but my main want is improved AF in every sense of the way: accuracy, tracking, & speed. Hopefully Ricoh has made a major improvement in that area.

I'm just speculating here, but you can almost bet that the IQ will be at the KP level or even a hair better. Same with the SR. I'd be surprised if they don't implement a 5-axis IBIS on this camera. Everything else will be gravy on top.
12-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So many good ideas here but the addition I would be happiest about would be the latest and greatest sensor technology....just sayin'

I think something really revolutionary would be an interface to an app on your computer...to allow more programmable options in the camera. just think, this coupled with a touch screen would allow you to select icon on the screen setting your camera to a myriad of presets you designed yourself....no, I am not on painkillers. yes, the user presets on the dial is a start but....
12-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Apparently the GRiii also has a new processor, which is the type of improvement needed in new DSLR cameras.
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The GR III has a newer processor than any Pentax because it can do 60fps 1080p video, which no Pentax can (60fps 1080i max) So there is no reason to derive that it has similar performance to K-70 or KP.