Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing that concerns me with the K-P is the lack of buffer. With small birds , they are there and then they aren. You have to capture a lot fo images in a very short time. I frequently fill the K-3's 23 shot buffer. The K-1 drives me crazy.

01-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Neither does Juanita...
Right up there with the first line of the "Star Spangled Banner... "Jose can you see?"
Depends on whether Jose is standing behind a tall person.
01-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #78
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing that concerns me with the K-P is the lack of buffer. With small birds , they are there and then they aren. You have to capture a lot fo images in a very short time. I frequently fill the K-3's 23 shot buffer. The K-1 drives me crazy.
The workaround is to shoot in JPEG. The buffer grows to a more sizable figure for continuous shooting.
01-14-2019, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Kindly put a wink or a smilie of some kind at the end of the sentence. Juan never knows
I find sarcasm more effective without emotes, smilies or other graphic indicators

01-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The workaround is to shoot in JPEG. The buffer grows to a more sizable figure for continuous shooting.
Not be be nasty, but to me that is more of a concession than a work-around. I would never want to compromise and work in JPEG...but that is just me.
01-14-2019, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

The thing that concerns me with the K-P is the lack of buffer. With small birds , they are there and then they aren't. You have to capture a lot for images in a very short time. I frequently fill the K-3's 23 shot buffer. The K-1 drives me crazy.
You are correct in your concern.
I've not yet successfully 'caught' small bif with my KP.
01-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I find sarcasm more effective without emotes, smilies or other graphic indicators
Sometimes It gets really difficult to differentiate one from the other without a facial expression and voice inflection.

01-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You are correct in your concern.
I've not yet successfully 'caught' small bif with my KP.
I find it works best with my K-3 to catch them coming in for a landing or taking off. Then squeeze off a buffer filler.
01-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I find it works best with my K-3 to catch them coming in for a landing or taking off. Then squeeze off a buffer filler.
The issue with the KP is that it doesn't take as much to fill its buffer ...... so I have to be more conservative with my "squeezing" {and am more likely to miss the right moment, since small birds aren't very predictable as to when they'll take off or from where they will come to land - I guess I need to study them more}
01-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #85
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not be be nasty, but to me that is more of a concession than a work-around. I would never want to compromise and work in JPEG...but that is just me.
All good. But when you can't have everything, you either compromise on continuous shooting rate or on the file type to meet your shooting demands.
01-15-2019, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

I tried that out yesterday. For every day shots it saves a lot of time. For images like this, just a document of my daily walk I think I'm going to make jpeg the daily norm. Seriously, no one commented "I can tell you didn't use RAW on that image.

For images that may be prints some day, I'll stick with raw.
01-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All good. But when you can't have everything, you either compromise on continuous shooting rate or on the file type to meet your shooting demands.
I guess my point is that I'll stick with my K-3ii for now
01-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #88
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess my point is that I'll stick with my K-3ii for now

Although shooting in crop mode on the K-1 gives you a similar frame rate, so there isn’t a significant difference there. If you want the FF coverage, you’ll have to decide on your priorities. If you want the frame rate and the coverage you’ll have to change systems.
01-15-2019, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #89
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For images that may be prints some day, I'll stick with raw.

And I wager that the situations like these where you have a foreseeable print-worthy capture on hand, there won’t be a need for 10fps.
01-15-2019, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

Although shooting in crop mode on the K-1 gives you a similar frame rate, so there isn’t a significant difference there. If you want the FF coverage, you’ll have to decide on your priorities. If you want the frame rate and the coverage you’ll have to change systems.
The only thing really worthy of this comment is the D850 which will give you 42 MP and 10 fps. Something like an A9 or 1Ds is going to give you 24 MP or less and you might as well shoot a K-3.