Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Although shooting in crop mode on the K-1 gives you a similar frame rate, so there isn’t a significant difference there. If you want the FF coverage, you’ll have to decide on your priorities. If you want the frame rate and the coverage you’ll have to change systems.
<set mode=nosarcasm> Well, I thought the discussion when jumped in was about the K-P and why I would not buy one...it's not worth a sensor to buy that camera. <set mode=reset>

01-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #92
Forum Member

K3-III has to have a faster write speed. Both KP and K3 write at around 27mb/s to the cards while cards support minimum write speeds far bigger than that. Waiting for the buffer to clear takes forever right now.
Aside from that, we need better lenses. I feel the DA* lineup are all dinosaurs by now.

A mirrorless body with A9 AF performance would be cool too :P
01-20-2019, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
CharLac Having owned a K-3 and a K-3ii, I find the KP Af focus faster, the ISO (effective to 25,000) amazing, and the sensor to be improved over the K-3/ii. Look they're both great cameras b ut until you've actually shot with a KP, you should understand that there is more to life than extra buffer space. The image quality is better than the K-3/ii. Period.
01-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
The image quality is better than the K-3/ii. Period.
In the two months I've owned my KP, I've never filled the buffer; the KP is just right for me, because I have already taken lots of photos at 12800 or higher ISO.

01-20-2019, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

CharLac Having owned a K-3 and a K-3ii, I find the KP Af focus faster, the ISO (effective to 25,000) amazing, and the sensor to be improved over the K-3/ii. Look they're both great cameras b ut until you've actually shot with a KP, you should understand that there is more to life than extra buffer space. The image quality is better than the K-3/ii. Period.
That you might have to post examples of. Looking at the Imaging Resources files, yes better, but for me, not "purchase a new camera" better. There's better, and there's "I have to have that." better.

A K-3 image. You say the K-P would be better? More likely since this was pulled from more than half way through a 23 shot burst, on a K-P it wouldn't exist.

---------- Post added 01-20-19 at 12:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In the two months I've owned my KP, I've never filled the buffer; the KP is just right for me, because I have already taken lots of photos at 12800 or higher ISO.
I wouldn't do that with a K-3, but I also don't know if I'd be happy with your images. In my case, in low light I go out with my K-1. Shooting small birds, I fill the buffer 3-5 times every hour.

I waited 15 minutes for a bird to land on this branch. I have to strike while the iron is hot. And he wasn't there long enough to allow the buffer to clear and resume shooting. It's all about what you shoot. Feel free to recommend the K-P it's great camera, but, it's not for everyone.

I don't think I'm suffering from poor IQ here.

Last edited by normhead; 01-20-2019 at 10:32 AM.
01-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That you might have to post examples of. Looking at the Imaging Resources files, yes better, but for me, not "purchase a new camera" better. There's better, and there's "I have to have that." better.

A K-3 image. You say the K-P would be better? More likely since this was pulled from more than half way through a 23 shot burst, on a K-P it wouldn't exist.

---------- Post added 01-20-19 at 12:26 PM ----------

I wouldn't do that with a K-3, but I also don't know if I'd be happy with your images. In my case, in low light I go out with my K-1. Shooting small birds, I fill the buffer 3-5 times every hour.

I waited 15 minutes for a bird to land on this branch. I have to strike while the iron is hot. And he wasn't there long enough to allow the buffer to clear and resume shooting. It's all about what you shoot. Feel free to recommend the K-P it's great camera, but, it's not for everyone.

I don't think I'm suffering from poor IQ here.
Understood Norm: but I don't fill up the K-1ii buffer either and word to you: I get great results from my Leica M8 (at 10.3 mp with a 10 year old CCD sensor). I'm talking about the Raw images coming out of the KP...they need less processing and I can work in lower light at a faster speed--creating less noise in the pics and less post-production.
01-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Understood Norm: but I don't fill up the K-1ii buffer either and word to you: I get great results from my Leica M8 (at 10.3 mp with a 10 year old CCD sensor). I'm talking about the Raw images coming out of the KP...they need less processing and I can work in lower light at a faster speed--creating less noise in the pics and less post-production.
Again an issue I find confusing. I create presets for my post processing. Up to 7 processes with a button click. Maybe I'd only need 5 with a K-P but it would still only be one button click.

On Imagine Resources the K-P at 1600 ISO looks better than the K-3ii at 800 ISO. SO that's definitely an advantage.

Funny how the K-1 at 1600 ISO looks better than the K-1ii at 3200 ISO. Same chip but different result.

In my shooting the jump from my K20D CCD to my 16 MP K-5 CMOS was huge.... I'm not saying I didn't get good images with the K-20D, but I'm not going to claim they were as good as even a K-5, forget about a K-3 or K-3ii.

Last edited by normhead; 01-20-2019 at 11:53 AM.
02-16-2019, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #98
Veteran Member

Cheers: I had changed my K-3 to K-1 and quite happy with it. It all depends on your shooting preferences. I NEVER use serial shooting and I very rare use ISO over 800. Resume: I will never change my K-1 either for KP or K-3 III or even K-3 IX!
02-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Again an issue I find confusing. I create presets for my post processing. Up to 7 processes with a button click. Maybe I'd only need 5 with a K-P but it would still only be one button click.

On Imagine Resources the K-P at 1600 ISO looks better than the K-3ii at 800 ISO. SO that's definitely an advantage.

Funny how the K-1 at 1600 ISO looks better than the K-1ii at 3200 ISO. Same chip but different result.

In my shooting the jump from my K20D CCD to my 16 MP K-5 CMOS was huge.... I'm not saying I didn't get good images with the K-20D, but I'm not going to claim they were as good as even a K-5, forget about a K-3 or K-3ii.
I think that is the crux of the matter; grabbing on to new technology at some point and embracing it. There will always be something better and more expensive. For me, my K-7 was still shooting great pictures. I mean if you pixel peep then yes, at higher ISO values the image is more grainy that the newer cameras. Would that stop me from submitting one of the K-7 shots to a contest or printing it to be framed? Nope. That said, a great deal came along on a K-3ii and I really wanted to jump on board with a newer sensor. Done! So now I have a much better sensor that my K-7 for a really good price. For me, that was a win-win. One day, when my K-3ii is far outpaced my technology, well then it will time for me to make decisions again. Would I take a K-1 if someone threw it at me? Of course I would. :-) But for now, I am a happy hack behind a viewfinder.

All that said, I am still very pumped to see the list of stuff on the next APS-C flagship...
02-18-2019, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #100
Pentaxian

I'm not sure why we are comparing the KP to the K-1. The K-3ii followup will be neither. The KP is perfectly adequate for me, as would the K-1, but I understand that others have different practical needs.I hope Ricoh does finally roll the GRRRR out the door and corporate resources can be focused on the needs of Pentax users.
03-19-2019, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter

No issues with image quality on K3.... but big improvements would be...

1. Wifi.
2. AF/AFC
3. Video (there is zero reason you have to give up completely to Nikon/Canon/Sony)
03-19-2019, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksim Quote
No issues with image quality on K3.... but big improvements would be...

1. Wifi.
2. AF/AFC
3. Video (there is zero reason you have to give up completely to Nikon/Canon/Sony)
1. Wifi is on the K-S2, the KP and the K-1. Also, for $40 the Pentax "Flu-card' wifi for the K-3ii
2. KP/K-1 equipped with AF/AFC
3. Video is adequate for a camera....I use my Pentaxes for still photography....Better video will just increase the price point of the cameras and besides Why be a "Jack of all Trades and a Master of None". Master of stills and heavy duty build quality over video. If I want HD video, I'll use my Samsung dedicated movie camera (which takes stills but they suck)
03-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #103
Veteran Member

I will definitely get a new Pentax apsc flagship body if it coming out this year. I am not even care what will be in there. I am sure it will be a significant improvement.

Anything after 2019... The question for me will be changed to, if i will still be with the brand.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 03-19-2019 at 08:01 PM.
03-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #104
Site Supporter

1. Wifi is on the K-S2, the KP and the K-1. Also, for $40 the Pentax "Flu-card' wifi for the K-3ii
2. KP/K-1 equipped with AF/AFC
3. Video is adequate for a camera....I use my Pentaxes for still photography....Better video will just increase the price point of the cameras and besides Why be a "Jack of all Trades and a Master of None". Master of stills and heavy duty build quality over video. If I want HD video, I'll use my Samsung dedicated movie camera (which takes stills but they suck)
But here is the thing... Competitors already do all of that stuff.

Sony and Canon autofocus is light years ahead of Pentax and so are most other competitors.

Video is not really adequate... the quality is of course all about the glass but it would not be too expensive, if anything at all to capture in modern formats. Camera already does a lot great.. i.e. comes with a headphone jack... but lack of 60p.

K3iii would need 4k.... if an iPhone has it, no reason Pentax can't.

It's not about the cost... it means losing people to competitors as video becomes more important.

For instance, I do video and stills... I do not want to carry three cameras... photo, video + action.
VERY close to selling my K3 and glass and replacing with Sony A6400.
03-20-2019, 01:59 AM - 2 Likes   #105
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksim Quote
Sony and Canon autofocus is light years ahead of Pentax and so are most other competitors.
Light years?
Yeah right. See this thread. How good is Pentax AF tracking? - PentaxForums.com

And, I have no need for my DSLR to do video. If I wanted to shoot video, I'd buy a video camera.