Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2019, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hey, I’m a professional amateur.

Says so in my signature.
You straddle both fences therefore, as a hybrid, they had to make you a moderator as well....touche'

---------- Post added 04-27-19 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The same for me. I have made a few purchases that didn't work for me, but I learned from the experience
Anyone who doesn't learn from experience, becomes stale....and that is inclusive of cameras....

04-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow, what a better response from Merv-o. No oink oink, no 300 mm f4 is good enough for everyone. Thank you. I do not mind discussing my "opinion" on Pentax if people would not stray for what has actually been posted. Yes, I tested the KP when it first was released, at Precision Camera in Austin , Tx. I have also used the K1/K11, I like the K3/ K3-II feel and menu better. It is what it is. Which is why I started the post to beguin with. The "Why I will not by a K-3 " post seemed counter-productive to the Pentax brand and image, even if it is suppose to be satire! To me it's just throwing fuel on a fire...... I would not use a built in flash with any long lens. Most of the flash is lost hitting the lens, it works good with most your short primes.....High ISO can work in many situations but not all, especially with a long telephoto. I do like the DA 70-200 f 2.8, it's a wonderful lens, it just is short on reach for me. Same with the 300 f4. I have used both lens with the DA 1.4 X and they takes wonderful images but with th AF 1.7 I am shooting at 680 mm with the 400. Quality lenses from any manufacturer cost money, Prime or telephoto....Look at the release price on the 560! How many Pentax Forum users bought 1? A few, as best I can tell, in my short time being a forum member.....Possibly not enough to convince Ricoh/Pentax to expand the prime telephoto lineup? In a shrinking market? I do not have the answer, and most likely never will....
04-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
The "Why I will not by a K-3 " post seemed counter-productive to the Pentax brand and image, even if it is suppose to be satire!
Post #1 on the "Why I will not buy a K-3" was actually a protest, by someone who was upset that the name "Ricoh" appears on the back of the K-3; My opinion is that Ricoh gets partial credit for saving "Pentax" as a DSLR brand, and would entirely be within their 'rights' to put "Ricoh Pentax" on the front, just as Spotmatics said "Asahi Pentax". But that is not what generated a six-year-long thread ..... degenerating into aimless humor is what keeps that thread alive. This thread has been more thoughtful, even though we have also be contentious at times.
04-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have read the post from the first one. I still think it is not a helpful post for the Pentax brand........reguardless of whatever is has morphed into....just my opinion.....

04-27-2019, 09:06 PM - 3 Likes   #185
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have read the post from the first one. I still think it is not a helpful post for the Pentax brand........reguardless of whatever is has morphed into....just my opinion.....
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.My reasoning behind this is I make a living in photography.I shoot lots of weddings and It seems more people ask on what camera I'am using.I have had quite a few people turn me down because I shoot with pentax.They just know canon and nikon.I l was turned down on other major sporting events because I shoot with Pentax.This all happened a few years back and I will admit that some people are starting to recognize that pentax can keep up with the big guys.If Ricoh puts their name in front of the camera I feel it will throw them back to the dark ages..I'am quite happy with my k5s and all my pentax glass and will continue to shoot pentax,but hesitating to by new equipment because of this matter.I do also own nikon and canon slr's but I'am a pentaxian and as long as it says Pentax on the front of the camera I'am happy.!
The K-3 was the only camera where Ricoh was so bold as to put the Ricoh name on the rear of the camera. They have not tried it with any model since then. I can't say if the sentiment expressed by pentaxdude in 2013 had anything to do with that! But it's nice to think so.

I think that Ricoh has come to value the Pentax brand, so, these days the name Ricoh only appears on the makers plate under the camera.

Those of us who spend a fair bit of time posting in that thread certainly enjoy what "The Thread" has become. As I'm writing this, that thread sits on 66,118 posts. It's the thread about nothing and everything.
04-28-2019, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO a Mod should just change the title to “Why I Won’t . . .” * and be done with it. The thread has nothing to do with the K-3 any more.

That might even throw off the internet indexing.

* eat cheese, eat bacon, listen to all-girl rock bands, Barbeque, etc.
04-28-2019, 03:28 AM - 4 Likes   #187
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IMO a Mod should just change the title to “Why I Won’t . . .” * and be done with it. The thread has nothing to do with the K-3 any more.

And lutefisk. Don't forget lutefisk.

04-28-2019, 03:32 AM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
And lutefisk. Don't forget lutefisk.
I was unsubscribed until the lutefisk meme ran its course.
04-28-2019, 06:00 AM   #189
Pentaxian

I was unsubscribed until the lutefisk meme ran its course.
I am just plain unsubscribed there because I don't fit there - PF has something for everyone, so there is no reason to hang out where you don't fit in.
04-28-2019, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #190
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I will never buy a K-3, or any successor.

My last APSC camera was a K5IIs. Since buying a K-1, I haven’t even looked at my K5IIs.

So I will not buy a K-3/K-3II/K-3III.
04-28-2019, 09:19 AM - 3 Likes   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I will never buy a K-3, or any successor.

My last APSC camera was a K5IIs. Since buying a K-1, I haven’t even looked at my K5IIs.

So I will not buy a K-3/K-3II/K-3III.
With a product line of K-1 and successors, K-3 and successors, K-70 and successors, Gr and successors, WG and successors, Theta and successors .... Ricoh can satisfy many different needs/tastes.
04-28-2019, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #192
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh can satisfy many different needs/tastes.
Yes, they can.
04-28-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #193
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

With a product line of K-1 and successors, K-3 and successors, K-70 and successors, Gr and successors, WG and successors, Theta and successors .... Ricoh can satisfy many different needs/tastes.
Except for the usual suspects who will be dissatisfied no matter what, of course

I have a K-5, a K-3, a K-1, a GR, a Theta, and somewhere a predecessor to the WG series (an Optio W30, I think) - and am satisfied with all of them

That said, what I would like to see in a K-3 successor is a K-3(II) body with the flippy screen and high-ISO performance of the KP. That would - for me - be very close to the perfect APS-C camera. Yes, other improvements would be welcome, too, but I find the K-3 to be an excellent camera already.
04-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #194
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
That said, what I would like to see in a K-3 successor is a K-3(II) body with the flippy screen . . . . . . . .
Flippy screen.

Sounds like crispylimp.

Mmmmm . . . . . . crispylimp.
04-28-2019, 05:52 PM - 6 Likes   #195
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Threads do tend to wander, don't they? For example, the quoted post relates to the title of this thread in that it, uh, um, er, uh, okay, I give up. confused2

Last edited by Parallax; 04-28-2019 at 06:01 PM.