Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2018, 01:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Wireless transfer to phone solution suggestions

My Eye-Fi card broke. I mean literally, the SD card shell cracked and came apart. My attempts at repairing it or transferring it to a new SD card shell failed. So after some research, I also found that Keenai is in app purgatory, not long for this world and declaring its ability to keep alive questionable at best being at the mercy of an app stores willingness to keep it functioning. Especially being an iPhone owner, this is not good. Therefore, I'm moving on from my current wireless solution and looking for a new one.

Is there a current wireless SD card with a compatible iOS app solution out there for the K-3?

For additional details on my usage, I just need the basics. I store small JPEGs on card slot 2, mainly for quick sharing to others or online via Wi-Fi transfer to my phone. Before using the Eye-Fi, sharing with people or social media took forever or never happened at all since it had to wait until I had time later to transfer to computer. But with Eye-Fi, any pictures I wanted to share was able to be shared on the spot, whether by text message or uploaded online. It's a must for me now. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited by Zerv; 12-10-2018 at 02:30 AM.
12-10-2018, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax Flu-card
12-10-2018, 03:43 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, JohnX. Yeah, that's what my recent findings are pointing me to as well. The app(s) on iOS seem ancient since last updated (if at all) but as long as they are solid and reliable, that's fine with me. Reviews seem OK enough for just the direct connection and transfer functionality. I'm not doing tethering and all of that other fancy stuff so I don't mind if that doesn't quite work perfectly. I'd consider it a huge bonus if I did decided to try out tethering or remote control once in a while and it actually worked. Thanks for affirming the Flu-Card, it's looking like the solution unless someone has another suggestion.
12-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Or, Toshiba Flashair.

Either the Pentax or the Toshiba will allow you to transfer JPEG's, but you can also control the camera using the Pentax - quasi tethering .

12-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Or, Toshiba Flashair.
Has something changed (K-3 Firmware update?) since this 2015 thread?

Toshiba 32GB FlashAir SD card & a K-3 - PentaxForums.com

It was my understanding that the K-3 offered FluCard and Eye-Fi support exclusively.

Steve
12-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Has something changed (K-3 Firmware update?) since this 2015 thread?

Toshiba 32GB FlashAir SD card & a K-3 - PentaxForums.com

It was my understanding that the K-3 offered FluCard and Eye-Fi support exclusively.

Steve
The card operates as a wireless card regardless of which camera it's installed in. There's no direct interaction between the camera and the card. In my cameras they simply 'see' the Flashair as a SD card. The card tales power from the camera to enable its wireless capability.The Flashair app on a phone or tablet connects to the Flashair card and 'pulls' the images over.

In my experience the Flashair cards work in any camera body that uses SD cards.
12-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool!

I found the checked device list at Toshiba and the K-3 is definitely on the list with a caution that procedures may vary depending on whether the camera has menu support for Flashair. Does that mean there are a few hoops to jump through?

Steve
12-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The card operates as a wireless card regardless of which camera it's installed in. There's no direct interaction between the camera and the card. In my cameras they simply 'see' the Flashair as a SD card. The card tales power from the camera to enable its wireless capability.The Flashair app on a phone or tablet connects to the Flashair card and 'pulls' the images over.

This is great. Thanks for sharing your experience. Honestly, this is all I really want. My experience with the built-in camera capability with the Eye-Fi card has been on the whole pretty good. But I can also describe it as clunky and frustrating sometimes. Navigating the K-3's pictures and folders, checkmarking and saving my selections, then transferring isn't without its pain points. If all that needs to be done is connect then transfer, skipping all the selecting in camera, I welcome that as long as it is reliable and doesn't drain battery.

I'll check out the Toshiba Flashair too. Does anyone have experience with both and can recommend one over the other? The reviews for both aren't exactly glowing.

12-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Cool!

I found the checked device list at Toshiba and the K-3 is definitely on the list with a caution that procedures may vary depending on whether the camera has menu support for Flashair. Does that mean there are a few hoops to jump through?

Steve
I'll need to refresh my memory and get back to you, but my recollection is simply that once the app and the card are connected you just manage the transfer of shots from the app.
12-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll need to refresh my memory and get back to you, but my recollection is simply that once the app and the card are connected you just manage the transfer of shots from the app.
OK...so no auto transfer such as what was supported with the Eye-Fi card.

Steve
12-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used both Eye-Fi and Toshiba wireless cards before, to me they are painfully slow, I ended up using a OTG cable and SD card reader to quickly transfer the images I want to my Tablet/Phone and post them.

my 2 cents
12-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
I have used both Eye-Fi and Toshiba wireless cards before, to me they are painfully slow, I ended up using a OTG cable and SD card reader to quickly transfer the images I want to my Tablet/Phone and post them.

my 2 cents
Would you care to share the details of what the OTG cable is and how it is used from your phone and what phones can use this option?

Steve
12-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would you care to share the details of what the OTG cable is and how it is used from your phone and what phones can use this option?

Steve
Forgot to mention, I was using Android Phone/Tablet. Using one of these

amazon.com: KsmileŽ 2 Pack USB 2.0 Micro USB Male to USB Female Host OTG Adapter for Adroid / SamSung S7 S6 S4 S3 i9100 i9300 Note 2./ Google Nexus HTC LG Sony mobile phones or smart tablets: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
12-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote

my 2 cents
I picked up a Toshiba Flashair but I am about to also buy an Apple Lightning to SD card reader adapter as well. I haven't yet tried out the Flashair so I can't speak to that right now. But even if it worked perfectly, I doubt it gets any easier than ejecting the SD card, insert the SD card into the adapter and into the phone, select pictures and transfer. None of the hassles of finding the Wi-Fi, connecting to it, and using yet another app (and that's assuming all this works).

The only reason I wouldn't go this route is if I had to do it a lot, in which case the card slot and ejector along with the memory card door could take a lot of wear and tear. I only do this occasionally so this could work for me as the most reliable method. At the very least as a backup option to Wi-Fi transfer which doesn't take up a lot of room in the camera bag.

I'll update my experience on both. The Flashair was really inexpensive compared to the near extinct and random Eye-Fi units floating around on eBay, let alone the even more rare and expensive Flu Card. I didn't even need a 32GB card for what I'm using it for but buying a smaller capacity didn't make any financial sense. Not sure why but I'll take this rare occurrence.