Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2018, 08:35 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Returned...after 3 years!

I recently bought a K70 after using a variety of different cameras and systems, including FF, over the past 3-4 years. The reason I bought the K70 was that a look back at some of my best images over time revealed that the majority were shot with the Pentax K3, even though I'd shot many more images with my Nikon D7100, Nikon D810 and Olympus OMD EM1. I couldn't find a mint or new K3 anywhere so settled for the K70. Images from it were great but despite its performance, it did not feel as solid in my hands, the flip screen seemed a little flimsy and the live view auto focus, with all my lenses was poorer than I remember it being with the K3. This week a brand new K3 with the 18-135mm lens became available for £500! I sold the K70 for £400 and got it!! I am in love once again with the K3 - even though I've not had the opportunity to take any images with it. It just feels perfect in my hand, as if made just for me. Hopefully will be taking pics this weekend and shall report back!!

12-13-2018, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome home!
12-13-2018, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark1961 Quote
I recently bought a K70 after using a variety of different cameras and systems, including FF, over the past 3-4 years. The reason I bought the K70 was that a look back at some of my best images over time revealed that the majority were shot with the Pentax K3, even though I'd shot many more images with my Nikon D7100, Nikon D810 and Olympus OMD EM1. I couldn't find a mint or new K3 anywhere so settled for the K70. Images from it were great but despite its performance, it did not feel as solid in my hands, the flip screen seemed a little flimsy and the live view auto focus, with all my lenses was poorer than I remember it being with the K3. This week a brand new K3 with the 18-135mm lens became available for £500! I sold the K70 for £400 and got it!! I am in love once again with the K3 - even though I've not had the opportunity to take any images with it. It just feels perfect in my hand, as if made just for me. Hopefully will be taking pics this weekend and shall report back!!
Welcome back! The feel of the K-3 is hard to beat, solid, all the buttons in the right place and a superb grip. I do hope the next high spec APS-C will have similar thoughtful ergonomics.
12-13-2018, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Also agree - and also welcome back!

12-13-2018, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Home!
12-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The K3 and 18-135 is a great combo. Enjoy!
12-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #7

Nice story. I have the k30 but looking to upgrade. I'm looking for a. K3i or ii but hard to find. Any tips for looking in UK?
12-13-2018, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
Nice story. I have the k30 but looking to upgrade. I'm looking for a. K3i or ii but hard to find. Any tips for looking in UK?
Have you tried here:
Classified Adverts Forum - Pentax User

12-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
Very difficult mate. There appears to be a distinct lack of 'as new' K3's in the UK at the moment. I looked around for about a year before finding mine as all I'd looked at previously were well used with massive shutter counts or really scruffy looking. Eventually spotted mine on ebayuk! Just look every day and one will probs pop up!!
12-24-2018, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I picked one up back in July for $400USD in mint condition and only 400 clicks on it,it even included the battery grip, love this camera so much I picked up another yesterday at a pawn shop that I have been watching over the last 11 months. It is a silver edition with battery grip with only 4000 clicks on it. The starting price 11 months ago was $860 USD, I got it for $300.
Now I have two K3s, 1 K5, and a K01. Sure loving the K3s tho.