Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, to take the thinking out of the equation I too have my cameras set up so that if the wireless remote is being used or a timer, it automatically takes the SR off. Simple. When i monopod I tend to not use wireless remote or timer so the SR is still in use, but that's when I need it most, when trying to get real low shutter speeds 'on the go' (ie no time to properly set up etc).

I think if you adopt the same approach with the camera settings to toggle off SR on those shooting modes it's a simpler ordeal.

12-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My bad, Steve. I remembered incorrectly. The difference between 2 second and 10 second timer delay is that the mirror is locked up at the start of the cycle with the 2-second delay but not with the 10-second delay. But the SR is disabled with both.
12-22-2018, 04:48 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you All for your comments!
Here are the two full-size samples, RAW files exported from Darktable to Gimp for cropping, without sharpening.
The camera was on a fairly sturdy tripod, with a Gitzo Tatalux head, but I did push the shutter release button.
As you will see, the difference is evident.
Attached Images

12-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
So the question is, do you use SR only when common sense tells you just can't be steady, otherwise it will spoil your image?
-Gian
Gian, everyone has their personal preferences, but I would suggest keeping SR off whenever the camera is stabilized (tripod, table, wall, etc.). It is really designed to aid reducing or eliminating camera/photographer induced motion blur if your shutter speed falls below the focal length of your lens.

In other words, at 18mm, you would want to turn it on if your shutter is below 1/18" which is around 1/20". If your focal length was 55mm, then turn on SR when you're below 1/55" which is rounded to 1/60".

Of course you can just keep it on at all times, but it will ever so slightly consume the battery and be problematic in situations with a tripod as you described. I'm old school, so I prefer using tech when needed vs. disabling tech when it creates problems.

12-22-2018, 08:23 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I mentioned earlier, creating a User mode is an easy way to control the SR. Give it a try. How many of us have filled all 5 User modes with presets?
12-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
As I mentioned earlier, creating a User mode is an easy way to control the SR. Give it a try. How many of us have filled all 5 User modes with presets?
Haven't even set up 1
If and when I get to try out some astro shooting, I plan on setting one up for that.
But so far, none are set.
12-25-2018, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

User modes are great ways to use effects and features that would otherwise require a variety of menu settings.
Though I normally shoot RAW, I love to use the HDR, Multi-exposure and a few other things that require shooting in JPEG. I also use Av mode, but like to switch into Manual, Sv, or TAv, and each of those might also require me to change ISO parameters or something else.

On my K-5, I have a User Mode for HDR, multiple-exposure, and a long exposure (30 seconds). NOw that I have the K-1, I'll probably add a Pixel Shift and an Astrotracer User Mode.

I also have a "normal carry " User Mode, something like Av, ISO 400, Ev -2, that I turn my camera to before I go to sleep (well almost always). That way I don't go to grab an early morning sunrise shot over coffee, or when I pull over during my commute to grab a shot, with my camera still set for high-ISO manual mode long exposures from the night before.

12-25-2018, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

It all depends, I use a tripod for bird images, but the head isn't locked and I often have movement. I use SR in that situation. So I use SR only when the tripod head is locked in place and I'm using the 2 second timer. Part of the advantage of the 2 second timer is reducing the effect of any vibration caused by the mirror flipping up.

SO for me my workflow is really simple. 2 second timer when the tripod is locked in place on a relatively stationary subject, SR on, any time the timer and mirror lock isn't employed.