Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2018, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

to SR or not to SR, that is the question

Hello All,

I love taking pictures with available light, so my standard setup with my K3-II is SR=ON.

I did remember reading that when on tripod, it should be set SR=OFF, however, call me lazy, I never bothered to alter this setting.

Yesterday I was taking a picture in my yard, at 11pm, on a tripod, at 2"/5.6.

Examining the images, I was not happy with the sharpness, and I was blaming the focus.

Then I thought I'd give it another chance, and went back on the same spot, with SR=OFF: wow, what a change!

So the question is, do you use SR only when common sense tells you just can't be steady, otherwise it will spoil your image?

Many times I blamed the focus for a general lack of crispness, and maybe it was just the SR in the way.

Thanks for your comments,

wish you a Merry Christmas,

-Gian

12-21-2018, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It may well be that it's good to disable when the camera is on a tripod. However, I always use sr even when the camera is on a tripod, and I generally don't have issues. If I'm using a long focal length, or there's wind, or some other reason that makes for difficult conditions, I set 10s timer or use a cable release instead of the usual 2s timer.

To rule out tripod vibrations, it's useful to zoom in to 10x in live view and see how much and for how long the camera moves after you let go.
12-21-2018, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I always use SR unless my 2 second timer is on which auto turns off SR.

Post some examples? Maybe we can see if it's the SR or a focus issue..
12-21-2018, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I always use SR unless my 2 second timer is on which auto turns off SR.

Post some examples? Maybe we can see if it's the SR or a focus issue..
Yep, same as that.

12-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Under some conditions, the motion of sensor by the SR system can set up a mechanical resonance on a tripod to create WORSE blurring. In the worst cases the camera buzzes like an angry bee. It does not happen on all tripods or with all lenses which is why many never notice it. But if can happen on some tripods and with some lenses.
12-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SR is not necessary unless the camera is moving (hand held). Any additional circuitry and motor activity runs the risk of blurring the photo, particularly if the sensors are LOOKING for movement to compensate for. SR off on tripod and when well braced for shooting. Macro photos are consistently better with SR off.
12-21-2018, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

SR off for all tripod work. Of course, the camera assists with that by disabling SR for modes commonly used with at tripod.

Some would argue SR off for motion panning too. I try to remember, but even when I don't I get reasonable results.

Steve

12-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
SR off for all tripod work. Of course, the camera assists with that by disabling SR for modes commonly used with at tripod.

Some would argue SR off for motion panning too. I try to remember, but even when I don't I get reasonable results.

Steve
Exactly my view too. I have on occasion been caught out on the tripod when I forgot to use self timer etc etc. But this is the minority.

I have now set up a user mode for "Night work" that turns SR off too (along with other settings I want) .
12-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
So the question is, do you use SR only when common sense tells you just can't be steady, otherwise it will spoil your image?
I have a custom User mode for these sorts of shots, that way I do not need to remember to change individual setting like SR.
12-21-2018, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

How are you using the tripod? Are you still pushing the shutter release button manually? In that case, SR will be on and you will shake the camera. If the exposure is long enough, you may get blur.

However, if you're using the 2 sec timer or IR trigger, SR will automatically be turned off, unless you altered settings in the menu.
12-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This distinction needs repeating since some seem to think it pertains to both: you only get SR off with the 2-second delay, NOT with the 10-sec delay. Should be selectable in the menu but it is not.
12-21-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Steve
did the k3 ii not include special SR modes specifically for panning? where it would only correct vertically? i could be totally wrong here.
12-21-2018, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
This distinction needs repeating since some seem to think it pertains to both: you only get SR off with the 2-second delay, NOT with the 10-sec delay. Should be selectable in the menu but it is not.
On my K-3 (firmware v1.30), it applies to all modes which use the self-timer or IR remote as well as mirror-up. (I just checked.)

Steve
12-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
did the k3 ii not include special SR modes specifically for panning? where it would only correct vertically? i could be totally wrong here.
The online promotional materials for the K-3II definitely made that claim and my memory is that a similar claim was made for the K-3. What that might mean, I don't know. There is nothing in the user guide for either camera. On the K-3, the "steady hand" icon will switch off for all but the slowest panning attempts, but I don't know what happens if the system tries to spin up at the end of a pan.

Steve
12-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
did the k3 ii not include special SR modes specifically for panning?
What that might mean, I don't know.
I found the Imaging Resources review for the K-3II where a full explanation is given.
QuoteQuote:
The Pentax K-3 II now includes a panning detection function, which determines that you're panning to follow a moving subject and then automatically ceases its attempt to stabilize motion on that axis, but still stabilizes the other axes.
Pentax K-3 II Review - Technical Info

Steve