Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Duplicate folders and inevitable file name duplication

So it's my turn now to go through this as everyone eventually does. I go to transfer a folder as usual to my hard drive and... it's a duplicate folder?! No it's not, it's new! Actually yes, it is a duplicate because another "###_mmdd" was bound to happen. Plus, I'm approaching my 10,000th image.

I read about the file name trick of changing "IMGP" to "IMG0" or something to that effect. I can deal with that I guess.

But I haven't come across established (or much of any really) answers to the folder duplication problem. My workflow starts with transferring folders from my SD card into my external hard drive. Before resorting to third party folder renaming programs or changing my workflow altogether, is there possibly a setting I am overlooking where the K-3 can just name the folders by date (yyyy-mm-dd) or something reliable and permanent? Or does everyone end up having to utilize some tool or software or method to keep their collections working? Would appreciate any suggestions!

01-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote
I read about the file name trick of changing "IMGP" to "IMG0" or something to that effect. I can deal with that I guess.
I employ a lazier strategy and just change the first letter for each 9999 images. Unfortunately one of my cameras has has more shutter actuations than the rest of my cameras combined* so I change the first two letters in the filenames for that camera.

There are tools which allow for mass renaming of files, but you want to be careful with such powerful tools.

* My pentax K5IIs which has been used for many week long time lapse sessions and has fired somewhere in the vicinity of 315,000 actuations - with the original shutter/mirror unit.
01-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you looked at pg 83 of the owner's manual?

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3-2.pdf
01-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I employ a lazier strategy and just change the first letter for each 9999 images. Unfortunately one of my cameras has has more shutter actuations than the rest of my cameras combined* so I change the first two letters in the filenames for that camera.

There are tools which allow for mass renaming of files, but you want to be careful with such powerful tools.

* My pentax K5IIs which has been used for many week long time lapse sessions and has fired somewhere in the vicinity of 315,000 actuations - with the original shutter/mirror unit.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm nowhere NEAR your needs for unique file names, I bow to your superior actuation numbers! But point taken. I'll think of something creative for my needs.

01-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm nowhere NEAR your needs for unique file names, I bow to your superior actuation numbers! But point taken. I'll think of something creative for my needs.
I just use the default setting and get the date

I then when I think about it place duplicate files on external hard drive as to lens, subject etc.

my computer skills are solely lacking

I can barely handle paper/pen/pencil
01-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
have you looked at pg 83 of the owner's manual?

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3-2.pdf
I have (well, the equivalent of it for the old K-3, page 76). Are you referring to modifying the folder name every time I am about to surpass folder 999xxxxx? If so, thank you, that is a possibility. Though sadly now the folder names give no clue at all to the images inside them. In a perfect world, I wish I could name it to follow a "yyyy-mm-dd-###" convention. But after reading about file and folder standards on some other threads, I guess those types of things are not up to us mere mortals.

If you weren't referring to custom naming folders after folder 999xxxxx, could you please clue me in to where page 83 could assist with the problem?

---------- Post added 01-19-19 at 06:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I just use the default setting and get the date

I then when I think about it place duplicate files on external hard drive as to lens, subject etc.

my computer skills are solely lacking

I can barely handle paper/pen/pencil
I'm the opposite, I work in software development lol. Yet, here we are at the same place where when my computer says "that's a duplicate folder!", I was stopped in my tracks and didn't know what to do. Luckily there are much wiser and experienced folks (like you and everyone else on PF), as always, here on the forum to help me out time and again.

Last edited by Zerv; 01-19-2019 at 07:20 PM.
01-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am sure there are more knowledgeable folks here who can help you

I'll just read along and perhaps learn

01-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm kinda lazy, I just have a folder for the year, inside that are folders for month, and inside them are folders for the day the files were backed up - today's folder for instance would be called 20190120.

So the Path would be ...Archive/2019/jan/20190120/ *stuff I archived today*

I'm extremely unlikely to shoot over 10k photos in a month, and no way in hell it's gonna happen in a single sd card.
01-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have Lightroom create a new folder for every day that I import photos, I also have it rename the photos using the date, camera, and order they were taken in. Unfortunately Lightroom CC doesn’t do this so I have to use the Lightroom 6 or bridge to import them.
01-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the download feature of FastStone Image Viewer based on the date of the download with DNG appended to the date. The download can contain many files taken on different dates. I then use a nice little App called photoMover2.5 which then distributes the files based upon the EXIF data date. The distributed file Output folder structure is Yr, Mo, Day, Camera Model. PhotoMove is an inexpensive App and takes the headache out of my file storage. Automatically move photos to directories or folders based on exif date taken…
01-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When I copy the folders to my hard drive, I rename "847_0816" to something mildly descriptive like "847_0816 to kensington and back". then later after I have gone though the folder, I rename it more formally like "20180816 to Kensington and back". That way the date is more apparent, and there is also a description involved.
01-20-2019, 01:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I store all my picture files by date, so the naming is unique. I use Lightroom for import, and used to do the same in Aperture.

In Lightroom (on a Mac at least), hit Import. Then choose "Copy" (or "Move") at the centre top. Then at the right top choose the address of your catalog (e.g. /Volumes/myExternalDisk/PictureMasters). Finally, under "Destination" in the right panel, select Organise "By Date", and select "Date Format" 2019/01/20.

I use this as my default setup, so all my photos are stored in this unique date order. I use Collections to organise by place or event or subject, but this is virtual; the actual files are in date order. Even if I'm planning to use something other than LR for editing, this is my initial setup.

If you don't have or don't use LR, this is almost possible too in Adobe Bridge (which is free). Actually, I haven't been able to make it build a date hierarchy; the best I can do is make it put pictures in a directory named yyyymmdd (e.g., 20190120), based on either upload date or capture date. That's not quite as useful. Maybe someone else knows how to do it properly.
01-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some great suggestions here. I tend to do roughly what sqrrl does, with the file prefix of K3_0, the final digit being incremented at 9999. The trick is catching it before it rolls over!
01-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah, I also use the custom file name KP19*** on my Kp shots (in 2019). Given that I keep everything in monthly and daily folders, I only worry about rollover in that it could screw up my order if it flips during a shoot, resetting the file numbers if it's over 8-9k before a shoot takes care of that.
01-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
with the file prefix of K3_0
What I do. 'cept I use KP
I always shoot RAW, and when I process in lightroom I name the file with the subject and keep the KP number on the end so I can always go back to the RAW file to reprocess if necessary.