Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2019, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
how about a6300 or Canon 70D?
I very much doubt the OP will enjoy using his K-mount lenses on either of those cameras.

02-04-2019, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #17

Original Poster
I recently acquired a DA21mm limited and DAL 35mm lenses. I prefer to stay in the Pentax ecosystem.
02-04-2019, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofessor Quote
I recently acquired a DA21mm limited and DAL 35mm lenses. I prefer to stay in the Pentax ecosystem.
With so much (new and) old Pentax glass around, it's the logical choice!
02-05-2019, 05:00 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
With so much (new and) old Pentax glass around, it's the logical choice!
this forum tool will help you see what lenses work with your Pentax camera bodies:

Check Lens Compatibility with your Pentax Camera

Most Pentax lenses are compatible with most Pentax cameras. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, including limitations with certain lenses. It's always a good idea to check before buying a lens.

This tool lets you check the compatibility of your Pentax digital camera with any Pentax lens or any current third-party lens. Type a partial name to see suggestions. See also: Lens Search | Camera Database

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/compatibility/#ixzz5eeo9GLCv

02-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #20
Forum Member

Seems to me the K70 is a good option here. Probably the best IQ after the KP + flipout screen.
Focusing uses a 11 point system though.

IG compariosn: Image comparison: Digital Photography Review
02-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #21

Original Poster
K70 would be great option if it wasn't using the same autofocus sensor as my K-x, which had its fair share of frustrating moments.
02-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #22

I would check the marketplace here first, but you could try the used listings on Amazon. At least some of the listings are brick-and-motor camera shops that also sell online. They have to honor Amazon's return policy, which is not the worst.

02-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #23
Forum Member

K70 would be great option if it wasn't using the same autofocus sensor as my K-x, which had its fair share of frustrating moments.
The K70 has the same SAFOX X AF system as the K5IIs.

Kx has SAFOX VIII+.

Both use 11 points.
02-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #24

Original Poster
The K70 has the same SAFOX X AF system as the K5IIs.

Kx has SAFOX VIII+.

Both use 11 points.
I see. Thank you for correcting my mistake. So, does that make K70 have a more reliable autofocus in low light?
02-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I see. Thank you for correcting my mistake. So, does that make K70 have a more reliable autofocus in low light?
have you looked at the " In Depth Review " ?

Pentax K-70 Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews
02-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
...I mostly do street photography, as I live in a metropolitan area...
...Occasionally, I would do landscape. I don't shoot a lot of fast-action stuff and not into video either...
...top-notch image quality and decent auto-focus...
I am using K3 for Night cityscape and night street. My comment will be for K3 only.

K3’s dynamic range is good to excellence despite of its age. With help from CameraRaw engin in posprocess, sometime I go as low as -2.5 stops and the image still looks good.to me. Day time street photo is not a problem for K3. Low light, I susually try not go over ISO 1600.

I want to make a point on "fast action" you mentioned, I used to do it one by one / single shot for street but after go out with a few pro i meet online, some has his works show up in national geographic magazine, and see/learn thier technic on street, I switch to use burst mode and K3's burst didn't disappoint me. Some compair it to maching gun on auto! fast burst mode is useful for street photo too.

K3 auto-focus is ... well, it is better than K5, I guess any newer non-flagship today could easily surpass K3. K3 is a kind of old by now. for night street shooting; K3+DA21 give a fairly good result K3+DA*55 autofocus is even better. K3+DFA100 autofocus is ... I don't want to say suck but it's suck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It is very much depenting on the lens too.

Weight; it is heavy in exchange of full metal body. The heaviest APSC body from Pentax so far?

Flip screen could definitly help on street. K3 doesn't have a flip screen. I use my K3 with flu-card and smartphone. Sloooow but still better than nothing (lie down on urban sidewalk to get that extream low angle shot? ).

To me K3 offer top-notch image quality, built quality and decent auto-focus.. It is the best bang for the buck now if you don't have a problem carring a bit heavier body. and similar to you, I would wait for after CP+2019 (end for Feb) before make a decision too.
02-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I started out with the Kx, moved up to K5 and used it for several years. Just last year I bought two K3s on the cheap, $500 for black body and grip, shutter count 460, right here in the marketplace. $300 for silver body w/grip from reputable local pawn shop. I love them both, the auto focus blows my K5 away, and I am very happy with the auto focus for my needs. I recommend the K3
02-06-2019, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

I own a K-3 but it's getting on. If it were to fail today I'd be looking looking at the K-P.

Reasons...
The accelerator chip... )also in the K-70.) Same low ISO performance as my K-1.
Pixel shift. I love this feature for macros.
Tilting back screen. ( It's great, especially for macros of mushrooms etc.)
Most recent AF algorithms, apparently noticeably better than the K-3s.
IBIS works with all my old lenses.

My daughter in law still has my K-x and still makes good use of it. But, it's not like my K-3 in any way but taking the same lenses.

To my mind, the K-P and 21 are made for each other.
But you won't go wrong with a K-70 either.

Pixel shift...
There's no stationary lighting condition too tough for this feature..
On the K-1

The flip screen for macros, once you've done it you won't know how you survived without it. Also Pixel shifted.

The increased ISO performance will give you a stop faster shutter speed for freezing the action.

That in itself could be a much bigger deal for street photography than you might imagine. Personally I'm often in situations where an extra stop of high ISO performance would have made possible many images I missed.

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2019 at 07:21 PM.
02-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I own a K-3 but it's getting on. If it were to fail today I'd be looking looking at the K-P.

Reasons...
The accelerator chip... )also in the K-70.) Same low ISO performance as my K-1.
Pixel shift. I love this feature for macros.
Tilting back screen. ( It's great, especially for macros of mushrooms etc.)
Most recent AF algorithms, apparently noticeably better than the K-3s.
IBIS works with all my old lenses.

My daughter in law still has my K-x and still makes good use of it. But, it's not like my K-3 in any way but taking the same lenses.

To my mind, the K-P and 21 are made for each other.
But you won't go wrong with a K-70 either.

Pixel shift...
There's no stationary lighting condition too tough for this feature..
On the K-1

The flip screen for macros, once you've done it you won't know how you survived without it. Also Pixel shifted.

The increased ISO performance will give you a stop faster shutter speed for freezing the action.

That in itself could be a much bigger deal for street photography than you might imagine. Personally I'm often in situations where an extra stop of high ISO performance would have made possible many images I missed.
What lens was on for that sparrow(?) shot? It is very sharp, but some chromatic aberrations on the edges of the white feathers.
02-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
how about a6300 or Canon 70D?

How about a KP?