Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Is a used K3 worth it?

So I have been using a K-x for a long time now (8 years?). I have been eyeing a K-p, but haven't been totally convinced that it's worth the $800 price tag (hard to find used ones). Now, I have found two used K3 bodies:

Used Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera (Body Only) 15530 B&H Photo Video
Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body, Black {24 M/P} at KEH Camera

Two questions here:
1) Is a well-used K3 body worth $490?
2) Which condition is better: BH 9 or KEH Ex+?

Thanks!

02-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes. The K-3 would be a huge step up from the K-x. The K-3 has a tested shutter life of 200k clicks, so I wouldn't worry about that.
02-02-2019, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brofessor Quote
So I have been using a K-x for a long time now (8 years?). I have been eyeing a K-p, but haven't been totally convinced that it's worth the $800 price tag (hard to find used ones). Now, I have found two used K3 bodies:

Two questions here:

Thanks!
First of all, a K3 is a different animal than a KP. It is larger, uses a longer-lasting battery, has two card slots, probably not as good autofocus, but others may differ on this opinion. KP is newer, has better/newer - lower noise sensor, smaller, smaller buffer, lighter, has a newer autofocus system, flip-up screen, etc. Therefore, which camera is better depends on what you shoot and which features are more meaningful for you. If you like a bigger, slightly heavier camera, do not like adding a grip, shoot mostly posed people, travel, and landscapes often on a tripod, there is a strong case to be made for the K3. In deciding between KEH and B&H, I would choose KEH for their 180 warranty vs. 90 Day warranty with B&H. That said, I would do a shutter count - a good indication of actual use -as soon as the camera came in and would probably only keep the camera, if the count was less than 40-50K. Google this topic for more information. You could also order both and send one back after visual inspection, shutter count review, and an overall test of function - something I have done in the past myself. Lastly, I have seen KP sell for a little more than $500 on both Pentax forums and Ebay. Here is a link of actual shutter life results for the K3: https://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/pentax_k_3.htm In any case, good luck...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 02-02-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: addition
02-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
I should have probably mentioned a little about my intentions. I mostly do street photography, as I live in a metropolitan area. Occasionally, I would do landscape. I don't shoot a lot of fast-action stuff and not into video either. I can get very good pictures from K-x in well-lit environments, but auto focus is a gamble, which sometimes frustrates me a lot, especially in low-light. Priority for me in a new body is top-notch image quality and decent auto-focus. I think all these point in the direction of a K-p, but I don't think that camera is worth $800 right now, not when you can buy a D7200 body for $700. On the other hand, <$500 for a K3, with better battery and similar image quality seems like a good deal. Does anyone have an experience with the KEH return policy?
Thanks!

02-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think all these point in the direction of a K-p, but I don't think that camera is worth $800 right now
maybe a k70 is an option as well?
02-02-2019, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I should have probably mentioned a little about my intentions. I mostly do street photography, as I live in a metropolitan area. Occasionally, I would do landscape. I don't shoot a lot of fast-action stuff and not into video either. I can get very good pictures from K-x in well-lit environments, but auto focus is a gamble, which sometimes frustrates me a lot, especially in low-light. Priority for me in a new body is top-notch image quality and decent auto-focus. I think all these point in the direction of a K-p, but I don't think that camera is worth $800 right now, not when you can buy a D7200 body for $700. On the other hand, <$500 for a K3, with better battery and similar image quality seems like a good deal. Does anyone have an experience with the KEH return policy?
Thanks!
For street photography, I would always choose a camera with a flip screen. Cannot say how much better a KP, K70, or K3 is with moving street subjects in low light autofocuses, but would bet on a KP over a K3 and K70, and wait for a used one to surface. Flip screen is also very useful for low-to-the-ground shots with wide angle lenses in landscape photography...
02-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes...

02-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #8

Original Poster
Flip screen...Haven't taken that into account, but I see your point. Will keep hunting for a K-p I guess. Or see what's in store at CP+. Thanks for your inputs.
02-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Your welcome. Here is a beach/street scene that I shot with a flip-screen fuji recently - and used like a twin lens reflex camera:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-A3  Photo 
02-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

obviously I like the K 3 and K 3 II

have you looked at the comparison tool yet?

Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I also recommend you look at the " in depth " and user reviews

finally, since you live in the US you could spend $ and do your own trial by renting equipment

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

some times the rental companies will sell their equipment

I have always had good luck dealing with members who have " experienced " equipment for sale in the forum's market place

KEH offers a warranty usually ( perhaps BH as well ? ) and KEH does have that no question asked return period
02-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Does anyone have an experience with the KEH return policy?
Yes, a bit slow to get the credit back to your card but I think that is due to the volume of business they do, and somewhat short staffing. Still a good company to deal with when the price is right. Check Used Photo Pro.com also, that is Roberts camera and they use actual images of what is for sale.
02-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two questions here:

Thanks!
$490 sounds high for a well used body only. I just bought a K-3 with SMC DA 18-55mm WR lens on ebay for $390 with less than 1700 shutter releases, nearly new. The advantage of buying from a place like B&H is their return and warranty. On ebay there is always a risk but I have generally done well. The only thing I miss on the K-3 is an articulated screen, that would be a definate improvement.
02-03-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have always had good luck dealing with members who have " experienced " equipment for sale in the forum's market place
+1 to this. The PF Marketplace is a good option for used equipment in my experience.
02-03-2019, 12:57 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Flip screen...Haven't taken that into account, but I see your point. Will keep hunting for a K-p I guess. Or see what's in store at CP+. Thanks for your inputs.
Was one of the lucky few the cashed in on the Black Friday 2018 KP sale at Adorama and got the KP body, deluxe strap, Pentax II sling bag and the Pentax 18-55mm WR II lens for 696.96--the deal of the year.

Had the K-3ii and sold it after the images on the KP turned out to be amazing. The high IQ of the KP makes up for its mid-level compromises due to size (i.e, smaller battery and no top LED). The batteries are small and take up less space in my pocket than my car key fob, and I don't miss the top LCD (it was small and without my reading glass was blurry to me anyway). Plus I prefer the fill-in flash on board over the GPS module in the K-3ii.

The new 24mp sensor is a dream of beautiful bright color and the imaging quality is better. I also like the adjustable grips of the KP. Here's a sample I shot today using a digital (DC) SIGMA 18-250mm walk-about lens. As I also live in the city environs, I find the KP one of the best DSLR's in size, performance and quality available. I use Tav mode a lot and have total control of ISO, aperture and Shutter speed--important when cruising the city scape.

Check the EXIF info on these 2 examples
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #15
Forum Member

how about a6300 or Canon 70D?