Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I Do This?

Is it possible with my K-3ii to take a picture such that it is saved both as RAW color and JPG monochrome?

My idea is to see the monochrome side-by-side with the color. I know I can do this in post by using a duplicate file, but I thought this might be good for on-site comparison as I work to hone my monochrome skills.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and help.

Don

03-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes. All raw files are color, so just set your jpegs to monochrome and you'll have both. The only way to see both versions in-camera would be to manually apply different development settings in playback mode, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would think you should be able to do this by saving RAW to one card and JPEG to the second card, and also set Custom Image to "Monochrome" which should only affect the JPEG.
At least that's what the K-1 manual says, don't have the K-3 II manual readily to hand but suspect it is the same.

Cheers,
Terry
03-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't think you can do it such that it shows the color and BW instantly, but as 2 step process it works in camera. First shoot raw, view the image, then push the down button to convert to JPG and choose BW and save it. Doing this my K3 does still show both the color and BW images and I can flip between them on the camera display.

03-19-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The issue you run into is that whatever jpg settings you have set to apply to the jpg also apply to the jpg embedded in the raw that is used to preview the raw.
03-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
I don't think you can do it such that it shows the color and BW instantly, but as 2 step process it works in camera. First shoot raw, view the image, then push the down button to convert to JPG and choose BW and save it. Doing this my K3 does still show both the color and BW images and I can flip between them on the camera display.
I tried this today. I would push the down button and then select the B&W filter. Then the camera would prompt me to save the B&W image to one or the other cards. Is this what is typical or am I not understanding you?

Thanks to all for your responses. In my typical less-than-intrepid way, this spring I will be putting my efforts into improving my totally inadequate monochrome skills.
03-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I tried this today. I would push the down button and then select the B&W filter. Then the camera would prompt me to save the B&W image to one or the other cards. Is this what is typical or am I not understanding you?
That's normal. You are asking the camera to process the raw and output a separate jpg. You can make multiple files if you want.

03-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It has crossed my mind that a pixelshift image converted to monochrome may show some interesting improvements over non-pixelshift.
That would be an interesting experiment that you might wish to look at in your excursions into monochrome.

Cheers,
Terry
03-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
It has crossed my mind that a pixelshift image converted to monochrome may show some interesting improvements over non-pixelshift.
That would be an interesting experiment that you might wish to look at in your excursions into monochrome.

Cheers,
Terry
The primary benefit of pixel shift is color accuracy. Conversion to monochrome might be a little more accurate.
03-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote

Thanks to all for your responses. In my typical less-than-intrepid way, this spring I will be putting my efforts into improving my totally inadequate monochrome skills.
I don't understand... what are you trying to accomplish with using the built in b&w filter versus doing it right in Lightroom?
03-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Maksim Quote
I don't understand... what are you trying to accomplish with using the built in b&w filter versus doing it right in Lightroom?
Chimping at the location means you can see you need to take another shot rather than get home to find on the computer that a light green area and light red area merge in B&W to be indistinguishable, etc.

03-20-2019, 07:25 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Chimping at the location means you can see you need to take another shot rather than get home to find on the computer that a light green area and light red area merge in B&W to be indistinguishable, etc.
You are exactly right. I am still learning to "see in black & white" when I look at colors. My thinking was that this would perhaps help me improve my skills of looking at a scene and seeing in my mind the variations and subtleties of shade and tone of monotone that result from different colors.