Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2019, 03:17 AM   #1

My k3 is a lemon

I have a K-3. It is a lemon. Out of warranty. I only just discovered there was a recall for a faulty off switch. I thought it was a charging problem with lithium batteries! I went back to my trusty old Pentax 100, with AA nicads. Dummy.

Last edited by fixed lens shooter; 03-24-2019 at 10:55 PM.
03-24-2019, 03:22 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having this problem If I remember correctly only a batch of the K-3II was recalled, and there's well known list of serial number ranges to avoid if you want to be certain you won't have the issue.

The K-3 and K-3II have proven themselves to be extremely reliable in general. Like any make and model of camera, there is a small failure rate, but we don't hear of many.
03-24-2019, 04:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
As I said, I misunderstood the problem. But I think I was registered with Ricoh. I did not hear about the recall. (The camera works only if you remove the battery after every session!) I bought 2 extra batteries at the time. It was depressing! An on-off switch that doesn't turn off? It beggars belief. Ricoh should have contacted me, like my car manufacturer does for recalls!

Last edited by fixed lens shooter; 03-24-2019 at 11:00 PM.
03-24-2019, 04:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have the K-3 or the K-3II? As Mike has said, there was a recall issued for some K-3II cameras only, not for K-3 cameras.

Which firmware version is your camera running?

03-24-2019, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Unregistered User

Are you sure the recall is limited by the warranty period? They're not with most products.
03-24-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
An one other thing, the Pentax K1000 doesnt take AA nicad batteries, it takes either a single SR44 or LR44 (or equivalent) batteries.
03-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
An one other thing, the Pentax K1000 doesnt take AA nicad batteries, it takes either a single SR44 or LR44 (or equivalent) batteries.
Based on an earlier post in a different thread, I think the OP might have been referring to the K100D...

03-24-2019, 07:16 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get the camera repaired? I wouldn't think an on/off switch would be a major repair and one problem certainly does not make the camera a "lemon".
03-24-2019, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums! (I know, you have been with us since 2013, but this is only your second post.)

As noted above, there has been no official recall for the K-3 that we here are aware of and no known wide spread problems with the power switch on that model. That being said, it would be helpful if you might provide a detailed description of your problem as well as a bit of ownership history*.

Steve

* How long owned, bought new/used, shutter count, problems had in general, etc.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-24-2019 at 12:27 PM.
03-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fixed lens shooter Quote
I have a K-3. It is a lemon. Out of warranty. I only just discovered there was a recall for a faulty off switch. I thought it was a charging problem with lithium batteries! I went back to my trusty old Pentax 1000, with AA nicads. Dummy.
What is the shutter count for this camera? I would think a problem like that on a camera like that would be worth fixing unless the camera has a really really high count.
03-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-3. It is a lemon. Out of warranty. I only just discovered there was a recall for a faulty off switch. I thought it was a charging problem with lithium batteries! I went back to my trusty old Pentax 1000, with AA nicads. Dummy.
Did you buy the K-3 new? How long have you owned it? Why no posts asking for help till now? Have you contacted the Pentax repair facility in Australia?
03-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As I said, I misunderstood the problem. But I think I was registered with Ricoh. I did not hear about the recall. (The camera works only if you remove the battery after every session!) I bought 2 extra batteries at the time. It was depressing!
If there was a recall, and it applies to your camera, and it hasn't been performed yet, I believe they will do the repair even outside of warranty.

However, AFAIK the recall applied to the K-3 II.

The batteries could be the problem. Are they fully charged and not too old? What's the manifestation of the issue?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2019, 11:04 PM   #13

Original Poster
Quite right. Mine is the K100D. I used it in the field instead of the K3ii. Only with a macro lens though.
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
03-24-2019, 11:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ahh, ok 👍
03-24-2019, 11:09 PM   #15

Original Poster
No, I thought it was the batteries not charging properly, but I see now it is that stupid switch. I have located my sales receipt of 2015, and will contact the distributor, which is in my city, tomorrow!
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If there was a recall, and it applies to your camera, and it hasn't been performed yet, I believe they will do the repair even outside of warranty.

However, AFAIK the recall applied to the K-3 II.

The batteries could be the problem. Are they fully charged and not too old? What's the manifestation of the issue?

---------- Post added 03-25-19 at 05:25 PM ----------

Yeah it was brand new. And a new model. I got it for long lens and also microscopy work. But put those projects aside for macro botany in the field, with my trusty old Pentax! The K3ii shutter count will be very low.
last shot - this morning
Camera PENTAX K-3 II
Shutter Count 318
Manufacture Date 2015:05:06
Lens smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM + 1.4x converter
(Don't laugh: I have a desktop computer that has only ever run Windows in Safe mode. A certifiable lemon, also new, 6+ years ago. Out of warranty also. But no one can source its prob! Of course I have other computers.)

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Did you buy the K-3 new? How long have you owned it? Why no posts asking for help till now? Have you contacted the Pentax repair facility in Australia?

---------- Post added 03-25-19 at 05:35 PM ----------

The light bulb moment came when I found this, only a couple of days ago. It had not occurred to me the prob might be in the camera. Sure enough, my serial no is susceptible =6184626
Ricoh offers fix for Pentax K3 II power-off problem
Thanks everyone for your interest. I will have to report what Ricoh does!
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! (I know, you have been with us since 2013, but this is only your second post.)

As noted above, there has been no official recall for the K-3 that we here are aware of and no known wide spread problems with the power switch on that model. That being said, it would be helpful if you might provide a detailed description of your problem as well as a bit of ownership history*.

Steve

* How long owned, bought new/used, shutter count, problems had in general, etc.

Last edited by fixed lens shooter; 03-25-2019 at 12:48 AM.