Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

Issue with k3 interval shooting

On attempting to shoot star trails last night, I ran into an issue where the camera would only take 22 exposures before ending the sequence, regardless of the number I set or interval time. I was shooting 300 30 second exposures with a 2 second interval. As suggested by someone on the pentax forum, I also set the interval time inclusive of exposure time. This didn't work, and the camera still shot only 22 exposures. I tried it with long exposure noise reduction off and auto-shutdown turned off. No change.

04-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming default settings (where the interval is inclusive of the exposure time), with noise reduction off, you would need an interval of 32 seconds at the very least, but to allow for whatever processing might be needed, I'd increase it by a few seconds. If processing isn't complete by the time the interval ends, the next frame simply gets skipped.

With DFS noise reduction on, you'd need to double the exposure time, i.e. use an interval of 62+ seconds.

22 exposures makes sense with a 2-second interval: the camera was expecting to shoot for 300 x 2 seconds = 600 seconds, and this is essentially what happened, plus the first and last frame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

any/all correction/reduction options should be turned off...…

reckon yer interval time was set at 32 seconds for 300 frames?

a problem I have run into recently is I must have the camera set at 1/3 ev steps and I have no issues...…

seems the timing gets thrown off or have experienced problems interval shooting when shooting set at 1/2 ev steps
04-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please note that a 30 second exposure is really a 32 second exposure (if the camera is setting the exposure length, as opposed to an external interval timer), and then you need second or two of overhead time between exposures. Try setting your interval to 34 or 35 seconds.

True Shutter Speeds compared to Nominal Shutter Speeds - Actual Measurements - PentaxForums.com

04-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ahh, I see. I did set it to 32, but wasn't aware of the processing time requirement. Does anyone know if this would create significant gaps in star trails or if shooting in continuous mode with a shutter release cable would be preferable?